W212 Cold start/gearbox prob from new.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Messa

Car
CLS400 Airmatic
Hi all,

My auto E220CDi is due in for a second attempt at fixing a problem it has had from new (it still has only has 5k on the clock).

It is a complicated problem to reproduce but I am able to do it 'on demand' by doing the following...

Firstly the car has to be cold (overnight) and the outside temp HAS to be around 2 degrees or colder, any warmer and it is fine.

Secondly, if I start the car and drive off it is fine, however if I start the car and put it in 'Drive' but then wait for 3-4 mins with my foot on the brake (say while changing a CD or usually while waiting for a gap in the traffic) I feel the car 'back off' from trying to crawl and then...

If I then take my foot off the brake the car does not want to creep forward and if I then press the accelerator the engine will rev really high, up to about 4000 but will creep forward at around 2-3 mph, if I wait long enough (20-30 seconds) the car does a huge snatch into 2nd and is then fine.

The last cold one we had before chrimbo it was so bad i crawled off my drive and had to put hazards on while I limped onto the pavement. I then found that selecting gears manually didnt help but taking it out of drive and then back into drive sorted it instantly.

MB did a software update on the box a month ago but that didnt help.

My feeling is that because of the cold weather aspect of the problem it is a faulty sensor/controller otherwise it would do it every time I started the car not just when it is cold.

MB have the car back on the 29th but as they are keeping it overnight to try and replicate the fault the following morning I am not optomistic as the weather is not cold enough at the mo. Without 'seeing' the fault I am not sure they would or could do anything.

Any ideas or educated guesses would be appreciated so I have something to suggest when I go in.

Thank very much.

:)

Go to the dealer must be under warranty being a W212

Go to the dealer must be under warranty being a W212

I appreciate your reply but twice in my post I mentioned it was due into MB, even the date is give, have you read it ?

:crazy:

Is this a car with 7g or 7g plus?

I've got the same issue on a 7g 211. First gear change of the day when cold.

Main dealer was unable to fix it and changing the ATF doesn't help either. This fault doesn't fire a fault code either.

I suggest you lift off when you sense it's changing gear. This minimises the thud

It'll be a 5 speed box or 7g plus, they didn't fit the 7g in the 2.1 litre W212s.

Regards, Neil

Guys, see my thread on my 7G plus, it had combo updates, ecu and box. Symptoms were different but was lmited to cold start overnight as you describe. A good dealer should sort it out. I had mine fixed at Brooklands as they have a team dedicated to AMG's.

Hope you get it sorted out.

K

Sorry for the delay in replying folks.

Yes you are correct it has the 5 gear box.

As suspected MB couldnt find anything and recommended that I take it back when the weather is cold.

I can live with it but its dangerous if you are not aware/expecting it.

Will keep you posted on developments as the weather gets worse over the next few weeks.

:)

Kamal, have you a link to that thread please pal ?

Last edited:
Hello! I have the same exact problem, with same car model. Even mechanics cant find the solution. Did you find out what it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom