W212 E Class - buying tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DeanoVIP

Car
C class
I've been looking at a few around the 2012/2013 with around 80 to 100k on the clock. Is there anything regarding the 220 cdi engine I should be concerned about? Do these need the timing chain changed as well or any big jobs that require regular changes?

Secondly the car would be use for smaller 15 mile trips in week then on a run every other weekend, so I wasn't sure how the DPF would handle this or how regeneration works?

That would be OM651 engine seen in 200CDI, 220CDI and 250CDI. Around 100k miles mark you should budget for thermostat, coolant pump, oil cooler, fuel filter housing. It's not a question of if but when those will fail. At indies approximately £2500 with genuine MB parts. Re timing chain it really depends on a regular maintenance, luck and lack of both. Some start rattling on low miles some never. 2012 cars might be equipped with Stop/Start which can speed up the chain failure. Also it might be with AdBlue which adds a complexity and increased probability of failure. NOx sensors, DPF also can be affected especially if the car went through MB emissions recall. It's really hard to point exactly when BlueEfficiency engines got S/S and AdBlue as some from the same year have it and some don't. Later models were badged as BlueTec.
If you're planning having weekend motorway trips I don't see a problem with clogging DPF no matter 15 miles work day trips. Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom