W212 E Class Coupe Sport - Becker Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeboa

Car
E Class Coupe W212 220CDI
Hi to all,

Just received my shiny new car today - enjoying it already, but a little bit confused over the Audio 20 and specification from the brochure.

My car is a lease hire, through Mercedes contract.

In advance of the car, I purchased a Becker Map Pilot - ready to plug into the glovebox. The brochure states the car should be 'pre-wired', but on opening the glovebox - nothing???

Also, I expected to find a USB socket in the centre console - just a 3.5mm jack socket?

Again, in the brochure this is specified as a standard fit to all Sport models.

Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi, I also think you should have the pre-wiring. It is standard on the 2013 model coupe's which started production in June. I suspect you have been supplied with the last of the 2012 models. On ebay I have seen kits to retro fit the becker map pilot harness, so they could hopefully retro fit it for you unless they want to swap the car for you!
Cheers, Harvey

does the 30 days rule still apply on a new car?

Thank you. The explanation so far is:

'New price list and brochure released - disclaimers included!!'

The car was obviously built prior to 'pre-wiring' - so was not included. Problem is, the options list on the Mercedes UK website stated 'Effective June 1st 2012'

It's hard to be grumpy - because it is such a great car, but if I'd have known the pre-wiring wasn't there I would have specified a sat-nav package. Being realistic, I'm paying a lot for the car over a period of 3 years - living with a windscreen mounted sat-nav and dangling wires for that time wasn't on my list.

I can see that Mercedes dealers are offering retrofit for around the £900 mark ( http://http://shop.mercedes-benzofm...=2170&osCsid=9487c4e6200ba9fc16ae670af7f80b03)

I've gone back and offered to pay part towards this. As I expected the car to be only pre-wired, and have purchased a Becker unit form my own funds, I think this is fair. I can sell the Becker on Ebay after all. On the official options list it would have been £450, so part payment seems reasonable.

I'll give them a couple of days to consider, in the meantime I'll be looking into options on returning the car.

Already the experience is turning out how (I worst expected):

Call to dealer:

After explanation of delivery, my name, and confirmation of the exact car I have...

Me: 'There's no docking station for Becker unit in the glovebox, or a USB connection in the centre console'

Dealer: 'Have you checked the glovebox'

Me: 'Yes'

Dealer: 'Are you sure it's not there?'

Me: 'I have opened the glovebox, removed the document folder and checked there isn't a docking station, also there is only a 3.5mm jack in the centre console - no USB connection;

Dealer: 'It should be there'

Me: 'It's not'

Dealer: 'Are you sure'

Me: 'I've am in the car and it is definitely not there.'

Dealer: 'Are you sure you've checked the glovebox?'

Me: 'Oh hang on...is that the big door at the back with the Mercedes badge on...No - there's just a big empty space, it has a secret door with a little wheel underneath. Would you like to explain where I might find a glovebox....'

Dealer: 'Are you being sarcastic....?'

Me: 'Are you...I just paid had a £35k car delivered and you're asking me if I know where the glovebox is.....?'

If the people who designed and built the cars - had to live with the people who sold their cars....they'd be gutted.....like parents whose kids go out and vandalise beautiful things for no reason...

Last edited:
I think in this case I'd be rejecting and getting a car built to the specification stated.

If it were me it would aggravate me each time I sat in the car and had to look at a dangly wire Tom Tom stuck to the screen.

Don't start negotiating or providing options, just take it back and reject it, it's just so much clearer.

You might then find they will retrofit free of charge to stop the rejection and rebuild.

Would definitely agree. Be firm and polite at all stages but stick to your guns!
We had a similar issue with our SLK when they were supposed to retrofit as per factory but it ended up with a mishmash and we got a replacement car with the right bits on!!

I'd definitely reject the car, there is simply no point in paying that amount of money for something you are not 100% happy with.

I'd guess that when you reject the car, the dealership will do their upmost to help you as the figure they thought they had on their sales board will be removed!

Result!!

Well, a bit of persistence goes a long way....

Dealer and car lease provider have decided to do a three way split (with me) to fit Nav 20 to the car. MB Milton Keynes will fit for £895.00 inc VAT.

So, I get Nav 20 fitted, which I'm pretty happy with as I had paid £250 anyway for a Becker unit (which I will get most of back selling it on Ebay).

With the Nav 20 I will also get iPod connectivity/control, which is a result.

Thanks for the advice. Glad it all worked out, I really love the car so didn't really want to send it back!! Just need to get used to that 'hand'brake - it's in exactly the same place as the footrest on my old Audi A6!!!

If you're happy, that's the right result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom