W212 E-Class Down to Last Strips of Camouflage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2010 W212 E-Class - nearly ready!

The next-generation Mercedes E-Class, set for a March debut at the Geneva show, has been caught with minimal camouflage during testing. The revised lines, which split the difference between the C-Class and S-Class, are evident under the tape, as is the new grille and headlight treatment. The reskin is most evident at the rear, where a faster rear windshield line and more coupelike C-pillar eliminate much of the boxy look that’s been common to E-Classes in recent years. The new styling is by no means groundbreaking, but should continue to please the large number of loyal E-Class buyers while keeping the car's looks current.

The usual wide range of engine options is expected, with V6, V8 and Bluetec diesel offerings. The new E-Class wagon has also been spotted in testing, and will likely debut some time after the sedans hit the showrooms

9081020.008.1L.jpg

9081020.008.Mini2L.jpg

9081020.008.Mini3L.jpg

9081020.008.Mini4L.jpg

9081020.008.Mini5L.jpg

And should end up looking like slightly like this...

SP32-20060207-204509.jpg

Last edited:

The first link shows a pretty ugly motor car in terms of detail so hopefully that is not the final form or the phoptograph is just unfortunate in terms of the way the highlights are picked up.

The split pairs of front lights just look wrong in all the images I have seen with them shown as such. Is it not the case that the disguised front lights may well be single wrap arond units like the C and S rather than pairs?

I'm not quite sure why they insist on making the E-class look uglier than the C and the S (might be just my opinion), but i hope when its released that it has the same affect as the new 5 series did when it came out...

But then again i've always preferred the looks of the 5 series over the E-Class ever since MB ended the W124.

It looks more Japanese than ever! Why the changes? What's wrong with the previous designs. I can understand improvements in engine emissions and safety factors but when it comes to design it leaves much to be desired. I think they should employ italian designers!

"eliminate much of the boxy look that’s been common to E-Classes in recent years"

What a load of tosh. The W211 does not look boxy, it's extremely stramlined and rounded IMO.

How come as soon as a new model comes along, suddenly perfectly good cars become as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit? Manufacturers, whilst playing the marketing game with new models, must sometimes cringe when they look at reviews rubbishing their recent offerings.

Anyway, hey ho....

The 211 is a lovely looking car, a careful evolution of that styling was all that was needed. I'll hold my tounge until I see a 212 in person, but I think i won't be too keen.

I think it is a modification of the cureent styling and it looks like the first picture might depict twin headlights as opposed to one single wrap around? Just a guess and I'm usually the foot in mouth expert.

Anyone that thinks the BMW 5 series is better looking than the E-series should be off to the opticians for a new set of headlights :devil: :devil: :D

dameedna460.jpg

Owners of the new BMW will no doubt think that dolly bird is good looking!!!

Regards
John

A step backwards in styling? I like the 211 as its pretty and graceful. The 212 looks as if I could have passed throught the BMW design stables.
An the rear of it looks like a Hyundia that I hired in California a few months back

Inside it doesn't look like a huge leap (if any) over a 211. Rear on is worse than the front or side. They got the 204 just bang on right, modern but timeless. This is neither.

IMO the interior looks BMW'ish.

'W212'

Very disappointing front end, don't like it at all

And why did MB facelift the W211 so badly - what was a pleasant looking car was ruined. Subtle, yes, but still ruined

'W212'

And why did MB facelift the W211 so badly - what was a pleasant looking car was ruined. Subtle, yes, but still ruined

I maybe alone, but I love the look of the facelifted W211, more road presence IMO

'W212'

I think it's dangerous to make assumptions at this stage.

I still don't get the styling on the W204 and GLK (saw a red W204 with lots of chrome and just about puked on the spot - looked cheap, nasty and awful).

So the omens are not good. But I don't think all the pictures we're seeing are accurate on the detail either. So I'm trying to be optimistic.

So better not to bury it prematurely until we see the real finished article.

I don't like the facelift 211 (not just because they droped the SBC brakes - mainly the front grill and foglight surrounds). But I would prefer a facelift 211 to a 212.

On the 212 I don't like:

1. The line over the rear wheel arch/wing - reminds me of an old Mazda Estate (626?).
2. The rising chrome line at the bottom of the doors.
3. The front headlamp shape.
4. The dashboard - a real mix of shapes and ideas.

I think Merc wil have trouble selling these - looks are soo important to a car - look how badly the (ugly) new Renault Laguna is doing.

I think the 211 can now be appreciated all the more for the elegant timeless shape that (I think) it has.

Its the sharper grill and the 2x chrome stats which update it for me :D
That's right but when the thing is moving it is difficult to spot the sharpness :eek: :eek:

I did see some post face-lift estate cars with the horrible shark fin type telephone aerial?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom