W212 E-Class Facelift Press-Release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any word on the Coupe facelift?

yes i have an image of the front uncovered..

untitled-jpg.14498

I can't say that I particularly like it on first look, espeically the sport, although maybe it will grow on me as the current W212 did. Apparently Merc focus groups want "modern" on the outside (which I guess refers to big headlights, gaping bumper, funky DRL, LED tail lights etc...) and conservative (great square analogue clock!) inside. Hence the changes facelift.

Personally I think it's great news since I'm thinking of getting a W212 sometime next year and hopefully the "old" model BS will help with purchase prices. It's only a pity more people haven't been buying S212 E500 estates. I'll probably have to "settle" for a E350cdi :)

With its softer and rounder less chiseled look (especially in the front), this new E-class reminds me of the top of the line Hyundai or Volvo as another person said. I'm not sure if it's because the Koreans are catching up very quickly, or even worst,

The Koreans are catching up and the safety design parameters the manufacturers are working to is probably having an effect of forcing them to think the same way.

It doesn't help that MB dropped the distinctive twin round headlights/peanut headlights and went for wrap around like everybody else at the same time as going a bit off the rails with the W212.

I have to say the sport grill on the new E looks very wrong. I'm reminded of the Edsel. So the design department still isn't working properly and needs further fixing.

However the 'proper' versions of the car look reasonably OK to my eye now. Not great but l could live with one. Still not quite right at the back but the silly looking haunches are gone, and at the front a big improvement over the rather desperate twin headlight implementation.

It's a nice car but I think not a timeless classic just another model in the range

In twenty or thirty years I don't think people will be after one like the w124 and so on

What is with the ride height on the silver sport?

However the 'proper' versions of the car look reasonably OK to my eye now.
According to What Car? the UK market will only get the Avantgarde trim, with an option to "subtly alter the front end of their car by picking the AMG Sports Pack. This offers a redesigned lower section of the bumper, and a honeycomb pattern to the grille". From that it would appear that we're only going to get the front end with the ugly snout and that the traditional grill and bonnet star won't be available on UK-spec vehicles.

Big mistake, imo.

Really don't like that - interior is OK, but not the exterior. Shame the twin headlight front end has gone as that has been a key brand identifier, even on the 1st gen 212.

I do like that back as per the last white or silver picture.

I think a combination of new car with old front would work for me on that particular model.

Not sure about the new headlights yet.

Try again Mr Benz...

2011MY-Saab-9-3-001_zps3e266f8a.jpg

Looks like the A class to me, I guess the new W205 will look the same aswell. What a shame.

I'm liking per-facelift more. The W166 ML still isn't growing on me, although I suspect we may acquire one in the fullness of time.

why dont they just merge with BMW and get it out the way... then at least they will have a valid excuse for them all looking the same.

I like the front of the A class..... on the A class. Would be nice to see something a bit different on the E:)

I kinda like the facelift.

hi

an update on headlamp design with out the fancy lighting systems - ie less intelligent..

looks a bit bland as standard

297398-ece-mb-4834698381034935007.jpg

Well, that's a proper mixed bag.

1. Sports nose too forced - doesn't belong on the E saloon (coupe yes)
2. Rear lights better, but then I always did like the 3 series Coupe style :rolleyes:
3. Interior - much more Benz like
4. Lower front spoiler looks more oppulent - like that
5. Standard grille frame too clumsy
6. Headlights, quite like, but shape not one thing nor the other

hi

an update on headlamp design with out the fancy lighting systems - ie less intelligent..

looks a bit bland as standard

297398-ece-mb-4834698381034935007.jpg

Reminds me of one of them dodgy looking Geelys or Ssangyong thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom