W212 E CLASS FRONT PASSENAGER SEAT REMOVAL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeward1

Car
e class
Hi all,

I getting my front passenager seat repaired next weekend, Its by a mobile mechanic whos rushed of his feet and has asked me to remove or start to remove the seat so he can start wokr straight away on arrival. Just really asking if there is anything i should be aware of being doing this. I know about all connectors under the seat and roughly where all the bolts are. But anything i should know? Should i disconnect the battery?

Many thanks

Oh, Seat isnt coming fully out the car just from the base so he can get to both sides and underneath.

I've read that leaving the key in the ignition can set off the SRS warning when the seat is being worked on. You then need a diagnostic reader to turn off the warning.
So disconnecting the battery isn't a bad idea.

I'm not sure if there are any explosives in the seat, but it's pretty common with airbags and seat belt pre tensioners. I.E. RISK OF DEATH
My advice is disconnect battery night before, lock the car with the metal key.

To work on most front seats, you will need to remove the plastic trim from around the base, plus a load of connectors. Disconnect the seatbelt at the seat. Then unbolt the seat off the rails with only 4 bolts. Then remove the seat from the car to work on.

If the seat is coming out, put thick towels/duvets over everything so that you minimise the risk of scuffing/ripping the interior.

I've removed both front leather seats from my previous car to fault find, then replace the heated seat base pad in one, and the heated back pad in the other. I had to de-upholster the base and the back for this, and I replaced/repaired the foam seat base on the driver's side with the leather cover removed. I bought seat upholstery tools for this.

If the cover needs to come off the seat base, the seat will need to come out of the car. Having done the job, I think it might be possible to de-upholster the back with the seat in situ. This might or might not require removal of the plastic base trim.

What are you having done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom