W212 E220 CDI 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzwalah

Car
W212 E220 CDI Blue Eff 2010 & W123 230E 1984
Hi Everyone
W212 E220 CDI Blue Effeciency SE 2010 Auto
Just been on a 250 mile road trip last week . Then the Audio button radio comes on NO display , No display lights around the massive numbers cluster on the right that has telephony and stuff inputs. No display on screen therefore No stations showing up. The command knob isnt doing anything either. Dont have sat nav but just direction indicator in dashboard which is showing a dash lines. Ironically the radio is playing and the volume knob is working and the volume steering control is not. The dashboard direction navigation in the instrument binnacle is showing a dash too.
Any suggestions most welcomed.

Many thanks
Benzwalah

Hi Everyone
Just been on a 250 mile road trip last week . Then the Audio button radio comes on NO display , No display lights around the massive numbers cluster on the right that has telephony and stuff inputs. No display on screen therefore No stations showing up. The command knob isnt doing anything either. Dont have sat nav but just direction indicator in dashboard which is showing a dash lines. Ironically the radio is playing and the volume knob is working and the volume steering control is not. The dashboard direction navigation in the instrument binnacle is showing a dash too.

Many thanks
Benzwalah
Hi Ben, Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? I have a similar problem with my 2012 C200. Everything is working on the screen (or at least is showing and Satnav responds to voice, radio works) only the command knob seems to be non responsive, nothing works on it at all. I bought a used spare and this is the same, so can only assume it's a connection issue.
I should mention, it is awaiting a RPM sensor fault repair which before clearing the codes brought up all the usual errors, ABS, SRS, tyre pressure warning, cruise control non functional....Clearing the codes at least brought back the cruise control, but I suspect the others faults are still there just not showing on the dash.
Anyone have an idea? All help much appreciated from new member.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Many thanks
Benzwalah
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same issue and am really scratching my head...

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same issue and am really scratching my head...
Hi H

I have sold the E220 Cdi but I can remember the fault was in the unit under the passenger floor . Lift the carpet up and its under the angled bit the one you rest your feet on stretched out. This also has feeds going into the glovebox for USB etc. This is where my problem started my wife was trying to charge her phone or connect it to play bloody spotify streaming music and it all died. We took it out and disconnected it. This is something to do with the sat nav etc as mine only had direction on the cluster I didnt mind not having it. The unit feeds into the main head unit at the back and we simply disconnected it and hey presto the head unit and screen all came to life. BTW, I ended up buying a replacement head unit as my original '' electronic numpty said that my unit was ''faulty''. So if your head unit is faulty, I have one sitting in my garage somewhere. Hope this helps mate.

Hi H

I have sold the E220 Cdi but I can remember the fault was in the unit under the passenger floor . Lift the carpet up and its under the angled bit the one you rest your feet on stretched out. This also has feeds going into the glovebox for USB etc. This is where my problem started my wife was trying to charge her phone or connect it to play bloody spotify streaming music and it all died. We took it out and disconnected it. This is something to do with the sat nav etc as mine only had direction on the cluster I didnt mind not having it. The unit feeds into the main head unit at the back and we simply disconnected it and hey presto the head unit and screen all came to life. BTW, I ended up buying a replacement head unit as my original '' electronic numpty said that my unit was ''faulty''. So if your head unit is faulty, I have one sitting in my garage somewhere. Hope this helps mate.
Thank you so very much! I'll try it out tomorrow and post my results (I have a Cabrio), hopefully it helps someone else too

I managed to get to the module I think you referred to under a pressed steel panel in the passenger footwell...
I disconnected it but still nothing :-(

I've connect it to a star system and the error that comes up is U014787
"Communication woth the control unit 'Head Unit' has a malfunction.The message is missing"

I'm inclined to try another head unit but the issue I have is exactly the same as yours and so don't want to just throw good money after bad (as it seems you did initially)
Was it an autoelectrician or independent that got the the bottom of it for you?

Thanks in advance

20221203_144106.jpg

**RESOLVED**UPDATE**
Kicking myself!
After taking the car to a local stero fitter, they traced the problem back to the Nav box (highlighted in my previous post)
I hadn't disconnected the box fully! Taking out all of the cables rectified the issue!
The car is now without NAV but tbh, it's GUI was so clunky and cumbersome, I never really used it anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom