W212 E220 CDI Engine management light on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLAM

Car
2013 W212 CDI SE
Hi all

Seasons greetings first of all and I'm hoping someone can help

I've got a 2013 E220 CDI (non bluetec)

My car had the red battery icon a few weeks ago and the car eventually wouldn't start, MB Breakdown came out to jump start it and he said my battery and alternator has failed, on the way driving the car to the dealer I lost all power to everything and I couldn't even switch the engine off.

I had a alternater and battery change by Mercedes and since I've had the car back the engine management light is on.
I asked the service manager about it and he reckons due to the battery fault the engine hasn't been able to regenerate the DPF and it should clear up.

It's been almost a week now and no change yet with thy light.

The car starts fine and idles fine, infact drives ok on the whole apart from rev limited and slightly jerky gear change down.
Oh speaking of gears the shift paddles don't work now either, is that to do with the EML?

if you had these changed at a Mercedes dealer it should have come back "sorted".

Sounds a bit vague about the EML, they can tell exactly why this is on so think I'd be going back!

Paddle shift does not stop working when the EML is on, so something is wrong there.

Take it back to get the exact code read because if it is something like an exhaust temperature sensor fault then it won't regen and you will just be making the problem worse. Sounds like extremely poor service,how did they even return it to you with the EML on. They should have had you in to check it out as it could well be a knock on effect of the initial issue or what they have done.

Thanks for the reply gents

To confirm the parts were replaced by my local Mercedes dealer, they replaced the parts based on diagnoses by the Mercedes breakdown technician and I was happy to go ahead to replace those two parts.

To elaborate, the first time recovery jump started my car there was a two week or so gap to actually getting the car to the dealer as I wanted to get pricing around, in the end the dealer wasn't much more expensive so decided to go with them after some difficulty booking it in they discounted the price further.

The service manager dealt with me directly and when collecting the car it was himself that stated what he said about the EML and he was adamant nothing they done would have affected anything with the engine, he also stated the car was not running properly due to the battery and said that they had to disconnect the fuel supply to shut the engine off...

His explanation seemed plausible so I paid up and left.

He's made it clear that I'll need to pay for diagnostics if the light doesn't go away, any suggestions on what I can do around this?

The car drove lovely up until since I got it back, gear changing down now especially when cold down to first is horrific right now and it makes me look like I'm a learner driver!

Sounds like they are taking the pi$$.

If they changed the battery and the alternator they "should" have cleared the faults that would have related to this with star anyway so a simple button press would give them a full printout of current faults!

I'd take it back and politely ask why they didn't do this, it's not some back street garage after all and your car is what maybe 4 years old!

Sounds like they are taking the pi$$.

If they changed the battery and the alternator they "should" have cleared the faults that would have related to this with star anyway so a simple button press would give them a full printout of current faults!

I'd take it back and politely ask why they didn't do this, it's not some back street garage after all and your car is what maybe 4 years old!
That's what I said when I mentioned that in the past when I've had electrical or fuel supply items changed on my old BMW warning lights needed to be reset and he states that it isn't needed on a Mercedes and all I need to do is retune the radio!

I've just noticed as well that the bottom of my steering wheel they have scratched the leather :(

I've sent an email to the service manager and long email short he is denying any responsibility for any of the above and is insisting charging me for a diagnostic :(

Do I take this to MB UK or the dealer principal?

I was a little concerned when you said the MB Breakdown guy jump started your car. With zero EMF on your own battery there is always a chance of damage to sensitive electrical components. When the manager said that "nothing they done would have affected anything with the engine" he was possibly technically correct- the damage may have been done already at the roadside. They should however have logged any pre-existing faults when working on the car but rather than get caught up in a "whose fault is it" triangle = customer/breakdown/dealer they are doing a body swerve. In terms of strange running when cold there are adaptations in the software to modify vehicle behaviour for a period till engine and transmission warm up to protect things. You might be experiencing this during the recent cold snap or perhaps some software resets are indeed necessary. I think I would take this to MB UK to clarify how you should proceed naming the dealer in question . They usually refer you back to the dealer but at least you will know better where you stand. You may have to cough up for a diagnostic.

How to Jump Start a Mercedes-Benz the Right Way - Battery

Just to update on this

MB UK don't see anything wrong doing by the dealer, I got pretty heated on the phone to the guy and he says that's all they can do.

Should I cut my losses and go to a Indy for diagnosis or take it further if I can?

Well you have tried the official channels and got nowhere so I guess the next stop is a second opinion. An MB independent with the right diagnostic equipment [ STAR] should be able to trace the source of your engine warning light. Action after that depends on what that diagnostic scan finds? If you post up your location someone may be able to suggest an independent close to you.

Thanks for the reply Graeme

I'm based in South Wales, I know of the one in Bridgend and in Pontypridd.

I've used the one in Bridgend once for a software update as they use Xentry and had no complaints, they are a bit cheaper than the one in Pontypridd too

I have used an Indi in Cardiff 3/4 times over the last year. continental cars, they were originally MB dealers a few years ago

I've previously run Saab's for around 12 years now had the E class for 2 years. Used a Saab Indie, now use a MB Indie. I made sure they knew they were getting all my service/repair work.

I've NEVER been charged for plugging car into diagnostic machine, TECH II on the Saab's - STAR on the MB.

If your taking a car in with EML on I'd expect plugging into diagnostic machine 1st task. I'd as also expect re-testing and clearing stored fault coded to be last task.

Find a recommended Indie with a STAR and build a relationship with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom