W212 E250 owners - E vs S mode MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

Was just wondering if any E250 owners have ever done a MPG comparison between economy vs sport mode and noticed much difference.

S mode feels much better, I believe i'm getting 3-5MPG less in sport mode but its hard to compare as the temp and traffic patterns also seem to vary..

Thanks

No idea. I did press the S button in my E350 once, and I'm pretty sure I noticed the MPG thing in the pooter go down 1 MPG every 30 seconds, and 1mm of tread came off the tyres. Thank God it was a dry road, otherwise I would have ended up in a field.

When I stopped I got out and lit a cigarette. It's what happens alas when you're fat and 50.

;)

S sets off in first and holds onto gears longer. E or C sets off in 2nd and shifts earlier.

I generally drive more gently when in C than S, and so I switch based on my mood, which probably has more effect on efficiency than the selection itself.

While C misses first gear, it works the engine harder, which also uses more fuel.

I have a 64 plate E220 which starts off in 1st whether you're in E or S, S changes up at approx 500 revs higher than S...........

Last edited:
The E350 is certainly a mad beast when in S in the wet or on ice. I hit it once by mistake on a very wet day and it certainly tested my reflexes and the result was I ended up flat spotting the front tyres sorting the situation . In the dry it's fairly forgiving in S if you don't go mad.

The only time our poor old 250 cdi bus comes out of E is on A roads when we need to get past slow traffic. It drops down faster and holds onto gears longer. It is a bit reluctant to drop down when in E. Ash

Thanks All, after some testing (still not definitive) it looks like even when driving carefully on S you still lose 3-5MPG, with my old W211 it didnt seem to make a difference hence the post here :)

I've not properly tried the sport mode in the 220 yet. I guess I can try tomorrow when I'm late for work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom