W212 E350 7g+ downshift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianw19

SUPPORTER
Car
W212
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2012 W212 E350 (60k miles). The gear changes seem very smooth during acceleration but not so good when I take my foot off the gas. When I am cruising towards red traffic lights, I'm guessing the box is downshifting but not in a smooth manner I would expect from a Mercedes.

Is this behaviour typical of this box?

Ianw19.

has it had a gearbox oil and filter change????

I don't know. The service invoice I have is for the service around 51k (3rd service). The previous one to that is missing from my documentation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mine did exactly the same. Especially when shifting from second to first when cold, there was a real clonk. PCS explained to me that a 7G box will never be quite as smooth as a 5sp box. That said, Olly did a fluid and filter change and downloaded the latest edition of the gearbox control module software and luckily the clonk has totally gone and the shifts and downshifts are much, much smoother now

I think yours should be due gearbox oil/filter change at 5yrs/75000. It should say in the service book.

If it isn't changing smoothly, likely options are having the car checked on Star, or an early fluid change (it's not overly cheap).

I'd be surprised if your car has had the gearbox fluid changed at a previous service if it wasn't scheduled. Your dealer should be able to confirm what's been done service-wise, if you provide VIN and proof of ownership.

Do you have any way of carrying out a comparison on a similar car?

I had an issue when slowing to a stop, clonk from second to first, I have been told there is a TSB regarding the issue, resolved it with a software update at the dealers

Bry865 said:
I had an issue when slowing to a stop, clonk from second to first, I have been told there is a TSB regarding the issue, resolved it with a software update at the dealers
That's exactly what cured mine

7G+ gearbox TSB

My E 350 S212 clunks a bit when stopping not always but 50 % of the time. Do you think this is the same issue?

A software update at the dealers normally rectifies this issue.

Do the dealer's not automatically apply updates during a service?

Do you have to pay for this these updates, and if so how much?

Car booked in for a couple of weeks time for a STAR diagnostic.

update on gearbox

Well S212 went for a service and I git the gearbox fluid and filter changed also put on Star, no errors. Update to engine and gearbox SW. My slight clunk on stopping has now disappeared. slight snatchiness through gears but garage chap said the car will learn my driving style and improve over the next week or so???

I was told the same about learning after they reset mine. I've not noticed a difference personally.

A bit if confusion from MB Whitefield - ATF change done on the last A service?. No software update since up to date.

My B service (66k) is due in September so I'll see what happens then.

I've used the ESS website and it says the ATF is only done once after 33k miles/3 years.
So now I'm confused what has been done. I'm tempted to have the ATF changed anyway for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom