w212 E350 CDI 265bhp - Battery advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hi MBClub,

A trawl through the online parts catalogue, and I can only find one battery listed. Part number A0009822108.

BATTERY,STARTER/ALTERNATOR CABLE MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

The catalogue says this is engine compartment, but it's in the boot next to the spare wheel. Very confusing.

Anyway, does it sound correct that I only have the one battery? I'm not sure if I have stop/start, and the AGM batteries are apparently required for stop/start vehicles.

I think battery specs are as follows:
Voltage: 12V
Capacity: 80Ah
Cold Cranking Amps: 800 A (EN)

Length: 315mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 190mm

Mercedes give a 2 year warranty.
I think the Bosch S5 A11 is also compatible and AGM construction, with a 3 year warranty.
I think Varta make the F21, also AGM, with a 4 year warranty.

Does this all sound correct?

If I have only one battery, do I need to use a slave battery to do the battery swap, or can I simply disconnect the old one, replace and reconnect the new one?

Hi. Not well up on these things. I would go to a local MB dealer and ask, or give them a ring.:thumb:

Hi MBClub,

A trawl through the online parts catalogue, and I can only find one battery listed. Part number A0009822108.

BATTERY,STARTER/ALTERNATOR CABLE MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

The catalogue says this is engine compartment, but it's in the boot next to the spare wheel. Very confusing.

Anyway, does it sound correct that I only have the one battery? I'm not sure if I have stop/start, and the AGM batteries are apparently required for stop/start vehicles.

I think battery specs are as follows:
Voltage: 12V
Capacity: 80Ah
Cold Cranking Amps: 800 A (EN)

Length: 315mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 190mm

Mercedes give a 2 year warranty.
I think the Bosch S5 A11 is also compatible and AGM construction, with a 3 year warranty.
I think Varta make the F21, also AGM, with a 4 year warranty.

Does this all sound correct?

If I have only one battery, do I need to use a slave battery to do the battery swap, or can I simply disconnect the old one, replace and reconnect the new one?

Do you have a button on the dash marked "ECO"? If so, you have stop/start and the battery in the boot should be a small auxillary battery and the main battery will be in the engine bay on the passenger side against the bulkhead under a black plastic cover that unclips. You will need an AGM battery if you have stop/start. The auxillary battery may also need changing if the stop start isn't illuminated.

If you don't have that ECO button on the dash, forget all of the above:D

Take a look at your existing battery and make a note of the Part# , the CCA and the capacity and replace with the same.
Get a quote from MB Grangemouth for next day delivery and also Tayna.
I'd choose a Varta/Bosch if buying from Tayna. The first link is for wet batteries (non stop/ start), the second for AGM batteries.
019 Car Batteries
019 AGM Car Batteries

You can safely swap the battery over and only need to possibly reset the window/sunroof afterwards by turning on the ignition, fully opening each window on the door button, then closing and holding the switch down for a few seconds. Do this for all 4 windows.

Just following this up.

The battery is indeed A0009822108.
It also has 43 11 hard stamped on the positive terminal, so week 43 of 2011 is just a few weeks before car was sold new. I intend on keeping the car for a while, so I'm liking the idea of a pre-emptive battery replacement before it leaves me stranded in the works car park on a cold snowy night 35 miles from home.

The 'only' battery replacement for this outside Merc is the Varta F21, but this is AGM for stop start technology. I don't have stop/start on my car, so I'm wondering if this is 'laziness' on the part of Merc not bothering with a standard wet lead acid for non stop/start models.

A possible alternative Varta I've found is the F19 in non-AGM format. Same size. Same CCA (800A), but 85Ah instead of 80Ah on the AGM.

Oh, and it's under £90 as opposed to £150 for the AGM F21.

Does anyone think I should just go for the Varta Silver F19? I'm wondering if the car would actually be 'better off' with a battery not suited to stop/start.

Oh, and Bosch S5011 is also the same spec as the F19, except it has 5 years guarantee instead of Varta's 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom