W212 E350 CDi - Draughty when Cornering...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagss2

Car
E350 CDI
Hi folks,

I've now had my late-2009 W212 E350 CDi Avantgarde for a month and am really pleased with it. It's certainly a very honest example.

One thing I've noticed - and the only thing I'm struggling to not get a little irritated by now that I've noticed it :rolleyes: - is that, when cornering, I feel a 'draught' of cold / cooler air from the heater vents (I think!?).

My car has 'intelligent lighting' (sorry of that's not the right name) and, as I'm not sure how it all works, have assumed that it's the DRLs (mine are the 'hockey-stick' shape) in the traditional fog-light position that light up the corners and, in doing so, somehow move? I further assumed that this movement may - at this time of year especially - allow some air in to the car which then comes through as cool air, noticeable against the nice 19-22 degree air my climate has been providing over the last month.

Or, am I totally over-thinking it and / or need to get my coat?! :dk:

Or, should I be straight back to the main-dealer waving my Tier-1 paperwork and demanding my draughty cabin be sealed?? :p

Thoughts from the experts??

Cheers, Baggers.

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong section - please move it, if so. Ta.

Last edited:
I have noticed in both my 203 and now my 219 the same 'draft' when cornering. Not every time but its quite obvious when it happens. I don't think you have a fault, its just a curious artifact.

DRL do not move and they don't provide cornering illumination, that's provided by the headlamps or possibly a fog lamp in the main light unit.

Either way I don't think you have a fault.

One thing I've noticed - and the only thing I'm struggling to not get a little irritated by now that I've noticed it :rolleyes: - is that, when cornering, I feel a 'draught' of cold / cooler air from the heater vents (I think!?).
Weird. Are you talking about the face-level vents or in the footwells? Can't say I can ever recollect experiencing anything like you describe in either of my W212's.
Or, am I totally over-thinking it and / or need to get my coat?! :dk:
Yes!

I have had the "draughty" issue describe with most cars we have owned (Saab / Clio / Scenic) , it happens after around five mins of driving whenever you take a sharp turn , it only seems to be noticeable just the once on each trip and only when it is cold outside.

I have put it down to the air at the front of the cabin being warm and the air in the rear being cooler and when the car rolls from side to side it seems to mix the internal air causing the draughty sensation you are describing , if you had to brake heavily it may do a similar thing given the same conditions.

Probably a crap theory but it works for me , in my head at least :thumb:

Kenny

I used to experience this phenomenon in my 220 and 203. I've never noticed it another car. Didn't bother me enough to worry about it.

I get the draught effect too. I believe it's just air at different temperatures 'sloshing' around. It soon equalises and the effect disappears.

I used to get this in my s203........until very recently when I had the footwell flap actuator arms replaced.........

When you corner and the car (and you) rotates, the mass of air inside the car does not hence you feel (briefly) a temperature differential until it all settles down again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom