W212 E350 Gearbox fun....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ptruman

Car
No longer a Merc!
Lo all

I'm having an expensive extension built, so of course the car will play up.

Was doing a 70 mile trip today, and pulling away, the car was not shifting up normally, and revving to 2500/3000 before shifting. It was also like the turbo was not responding.

I could floor the pedal and got no kickdown...

When it finally got to 60/70mph, I could manually shift up twice, implying it was holding onto 5th.

Slowing down, the auto shifts down were really harsh when it was doing 3rd/2nd/1st.

Got where I was going, as it was mostly motorway, and then did an adaption reset.

Car drove home fine. Pulled into supermarket, did a shop, and came back out.

Same stuff. Switched off/on at some lights and it briefly behaved, but then reverted to being crap.

No warning lights. Nothing showing on MercedesMe app.

I'll read codes in a mo, but this smacks of a dodgy sensor/hose? (Or a buggered TCU?)

Update : P2454 DPF differential pressure sensor low is showing as a pending fault.

Would that upset gearing?

Last edited:
It's behaving itself again on the last two short runs, but I'm keeping my eyes on it...

I had similar symptoms 2 weeks ago. Pointed to the dpf sensor, replaced it and the car is totally superb. Make sure you buy an original one, don’t buy the stuff you see on Ebay

I was going to start a new thread but then came across this one. I have the same fault with my E350 CDI guys. I think I’ve finally put my finger on the issue.

I can get a genuine pressure sensor no problem but now I’ve also read I should have the wiring replaced along with it and also have a DPF regeneration forced. Is this true?

I've logged the issue with my indie, and it's due in next week (they are busy) for a run on STAR and their view. Will advise....

I've logged the issue with my indie, and it's due in next week (they are busy) for a run on STAR and their view. Will advise....
Thanks buddy. Will be good to see what happens. Hope yours is fixed quickly and easily

I was going to start a new thread but then came across this one. I have the same fault with my E350 CDI guys. I think I’ve finally put my finger on the issue.

I can get a genuine pressure sensor no problem but now I’ve also read I should have the wiring replaced along with it and also have a DPF regeneration forced. Is this true?
I didn’t have any new wiring done. The tech will do an immediate forced regen and then the car should do them by itself. I’ve now noticed that my exhaust tips actually don’t go as black as quickly as they’ve done over the last few months. This obviously was an on going issue that was going on. Plus, it actually feels much more powerful and much smoother and quieter.

I didn’t have any new wiring done. The tech will do an immediate forced regen and then the car should do them by itself. I’ve now noticed that my exhaust tips actually don’t go as black as quickly as they’ve done over the last few months. This obviously was an on going issue that was going on. Plus, it actually feels much more powerful and much smoother and quieter.
Excellent this is good to hear. I was wondering if I could just replace the sensor and not have to worry about the forced regen. Will the car not regenerate itself? Thanks mate

Excellent this is good to hear. I was wondering if I could just replace the sensor and not have to worry about the forced regen. Will the car not regenerate itself? Thanks mate
It should regen itself yes but, my tech forced it to do one immediately so he could see if the sensor cured the issue straight away.
I watched him replace the sensor too ,quite a fiddle, way out of my patience realm.

Righto, per the above recent posts, mine has had a reset and forced regen today - and will now monitor....
It did finally throw the yellow check engine light the other day, with the same code - so clearly was "building up to telling me" - at which point Mercedes Me popped up and requested I take it into a main dealer (nooooooope).

It's very sad to see these posts about diesels, in 2014 I had a Jaguar diesel, it was a fabulous car, but, there was trouble with the EGR and DPF, repeatedly, it didn't just do short journeys, and nobody, including a very good dealer, was able to sort it. That's put me off them forever, a very great shame, a large comfy car that would do 50mpg, I still miss it.

So I have an update. I fitted a genuine MB DPF pressure sensor to my E350 myself yesterday. I followed advice given on this forum and cleared the fault code before and after fitting. Done 2 long-ish motorways runs and no limp mode anymore!
I don’t want to speak too soon but it looks like a new sensor has cleared my issues. Thank God

So I have an update. I fitted a genuine MB DPF pressure sensor to my E350 myself yesterday. I followed advice given on this forum and cleared the fault code before and after fitting. Done 2 long-ish motorways runs and no limp mode anymore!
I don’t want to speak too soon but it looks like a new sensor has cleared my issues. Thank God
Mines been on for roughly the same time and it’s brilliant again. Keep an eye on your tailpipes, they shouldn’t be totally black after a a few short runs.

I had an old Jag X-Type (2.2 Sport CDI, if there is such a thing...) and it had a stuck EGR, but was ok.
I had a Jag XF (3.0 Sport) and that was lovely, but the gearbox went mental and a few other things - but it didn't argue DPF.
The E350 has probably suffered "Lockdown-itus" in that I've been WFH for 1.5 years now, and only taking nipper to school about 2 miles up the road and back....whereas before I was doing 2 x 50+ mile commutes a day....
I am about to change jobs, and it's likely to get a good blat up the M6 once a week, so it won't be entirely sat....

I do like this car though, it's "rather nicely specced", just a shame it's not CAZ compliant in local Brum now... :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom