W212 E350 headlight problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mancstar

Car
W212 E350 CDI
Started car as normal yesterday evening, switched headlights on (switch all the way clockwise) and the headlights turned on as normal, a second later they turned off then another second later turned on then off and finally on. Worked as normal for 20min trip home.
All this happened within like 3/4 seconds.
Played about with it to replicate the problem but could not (pulling the switch to activate the fog light and back in again to disengage it and turning clockwise to engage main beam then of again).
This morning started car again was daylight but wanted to check whilst car was facing garage door - same thing, lights went on, off, on, off then on.

Could the cold weather be causing this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Car has xenons and the adapative beam/intell light sys.
Xenons still seem to emit bright white light. Never use the 'auto' function.
I know of the w212 headlight switch problem and tempted to get a used one of Ebay to swap out.

It does sound like the switch as bulb/headlamp failures should show on the dash (ILS inoperative etc)

It does sound like the switch as bulb/headlamp failures should show on the dash (ILS inoperative etc)
Yes with it being both lights doing the same thing at the same time. Gonna try a used replacement and do myself they seem a pain to remove!

I thought that setting was for OAPs not quite at that age yet!

My car is always in Auto...DRLs in the day, lights on in the dark. With more and more cars having an illuminated dash, it saves forgetting to turn them on :)

Why wouldn’t you have it on auto...?
Lol lets not start this debate! Lets just call it 'trust' issues.
However I am going to convert tovan auto user.. Thinking to use it once I have a new switch as dont ever want to touch the switch again!

P.s fault is defo the switch had same issue this morning and the green headlight 'on' symbol would go of the same time the lights would. Also there is slight play in the switch if pulled on and turned slightly it turns light of and slight tap back in and works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom