W212 E350 Slow To Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
Quick question before my car runs out of warranty....

It's noticable that unlike every other car I've had in the last decade or so my E350 takes several seconds of cranking before it fires up if it has been standing in the garage for a few days. Almost as if it is having to prime with fuel before it can gget up and go.

I can't remember it being like this when new. Is this engine prone to any drain-back issues and/or should I be looking to get it investigated? Or is this just the way it is?

Mine is only 5 months old but starts immediately, if still under warranty then worth booking it in as if something comes to light out of the warranty period it may stand you in better stead for a good will gesture from Mercedes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick question before my car runs out of warranty....

It's noticable that unlike every other car I've had in the last decade or so my E350 takes several seconds of cranking before it fires up if it has been standing in the garage for a few days. Almost as if it is having to prime with fuel before it can gget up and go.

I can't remember it being like this when new. Is this engine prone to any drain-back issues and/or should I be looking to get it investigated? Or is this just the way it is?

You may have a glow plug issue or the glow plug relay. They should start immediately once the yellow glow plug light goes off.

What year is yours? Mine is 2012 and also does this

Strange, ours fires immediately, you may have an issue too or you guys are not waiting for the glow plugs to prime first.

Mine is 2010 70K miles turns for less than a second before firing all weathers (I am in the South East though). I have never waited for glow plugs on any HDI engine.
Recently had a new battery at nearly 6 years old

Could be a Glow plug or the Glow Plug control module.

Mine is 2013.

Reported prior to service last week but the answer was "no fault found". I'm no cynic, but it's not the first time I've heard that. Hence the reason for the question.

It's not a wait for glow plug issue. It's cranking time issue.

My 350 does crank for noticeably longer than any other diesel I have owned. Thought about it but never had it looked at.

I wondered if they were delaying starting until oil got to the turbo seeing as it is the highest point of the engine

Hello, mine is a 2012 350cdi (42k miles) and also does this. Had it checked by Mercedes Inchcape and was left overnight for a cold start test whilst plugged in for diagnostics. Nothing found but engine (ecu?) update applied to increase idle from 550 to 600 rpm. Runs better when cold now but starts the same. The previous version OM642 320cdi started straight away when the glow light went off, this 350cdi cranks for 2 seconds or so and then fires up. Same thing whether it has been standing overnight or after 2 weeks at the airport car park.

I had the glow plug module go on the previous 320cdi engine and it would crank longer still and manifested itself with a noticeable puff of white-grey smoke (rich diesel) from the exhaust then, so doubt it is a glow module issue. Also with the defected glow module the engine took longer to warm up to reach operating temperature, also the fuel consumption apperead higher then.

Hi everyone. I know I’m jumping on an old thread here but I’m hoping someone might have actually got some concrete answers to the problems mentioned above. I have a 2014 E350 diesel that I’ve owned for two years and I’ve put a lot of miles on it, she’s up to 120k now, and this two or three seconds of hesitation when starting has been happening on and off since I first got her. It’s happened on warm days and cold days, but I don’t remember it doing it when the engine is still warm from a journey. She’s been unused for two weeks now and I went out today and she took about 15 or 20 seconds of cranking before she fired up. I always wait for the glow plug light to go out. I know two weeks is a while of doing nothing but it’s not that bad really, I often left her in Airport car parks for that amount of time. Any more ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. I know I’m jumping on an old thread here but I’m hoping someone might have actually got some concrete answers to the problems mentioned above. I have a 2014 E350 diesel that I’ve owned for two years and I’ve put a lot of miles on it, she’s up to 120k now, and this two or three seconds of hesitation when starting has been happening on and off since I first got her. It’s happened on warm days and cold days, but I don’t remember it doing it when the engine is still warm from a journey. She’s been unused for two weeks now and I went out today and she took about 15 or 20 seconds of cranking before she fired up. I always wait for the glow plug light to go out. I know two weeks is a while of doing nothing but it’s not that bad really, I often left her in Airport car parks for that amount of time. Any more ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I would suggest that you check you battery as a first option.
You may well be still on the original battery and if so, it might be on its last legs.
You will have an AGM battery and it should be showing around 12.8 volts.

Long cranking for 20 seconds points to a possible fuel pressure issue.

We have done a fair few in tank pumps on these. Best to plug it in and watch the low fuel pressure.

Reactions: AW8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom