W212 e350 steering wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robsey29

Car
W212 E350
Hi all I am a new owner of a w212 e350 sport but looking to change the steering wheel for a amg flat bottom wheel has anyone done this diy, I have seen a few threads on here and seems a few people have had difficulty getting the buttons to work etc.

The sticking point is mine does have lane assist and blind spot so my wheel has the vibar unit fitted, so I would imagine I need to find a wheel with this fitted already or can it be retrofitted to a wheel that has not got it?

I have been looking at the 2010-2011 sport wheel but also wondering if the 2013 onwards wheel will fit?

There is a seller on eBay that says the 2013 onwards wheel is a direct fit but need to swap over something from the old wheel to make it function fully, he will not say what this is does anyone know this also?

Appreciate any help if anyone knows.

Will get some pictures up shortly and introduce myself.

Has nobody done a steering wheel swap or is this quite a forum. I am a member of a Bmw forum and would have had hundreds of replies by now!

Last edited:
Robsey29 I am also ex BMW forum and you're right this is very quiet, I can't actually help you, but am also looking to change the steering wheel of my GLC AMG line, I want a heated one. I cant believe that it didn't come as standard, even my cheap vauxhall Mokka had a heated steering wheel!

Robsey29 I am also ex BMW forum and you're right this is very quiet, I can't actually help you, but am also looking to change the steering wheel of my GLC AMG line, I want a heated one. I cant believe that it didn't come as standard, even my cheap vauxhall Mokka had a heated steering wheel!

Your right there does not seem to be much help on here. Heated steering would be a nice touch, I'm just looking to put the sport new style wheel into mine so no heating etc just looks. I would also love to help you but have no knowledge on the GLC I'm afraid. Good luck hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along soon.

The vibration stuff needs a different steering wheel as it connects to the control module in the steering wheel, which in turn connects to the contact spiral with extra wiring.

You also need to be carerful with model years, as the software interface between the car and the steering wheel electronics changes at around MY2013

You may be able to move the wiring and control module across of course

Cheers

Richard

Heated steering wheel needs the switch gear, and some other control units and steering wheel change. Although it seems there may not be a heated steering wheel with the flat bottom.

I have a GLC and its on the list of things i'd like to investigate ....

Richard

The vibration stuff needs a different steering wheel as it connects to the control module in the steering wheel, which in turn connects to the contact spiral with extra wiring.

You also need to be carerful with model years, as the software interface between the car and the steering wheel electronics changes at around MY2013

You may be able to move the wiring and control module across of course

Cheers

Richard
Thanks Richard thats a great help. To make things easy then I need to find a wheel that already has this installed so plug and play and before 2013. I may take my wheel off to see if the module and vibration motor can be easily switched as this will open a bigger window.

I have been trying to do a steering wheel upgrade on my 2015 w212.

I fancied an AMG flat bottomed wheel and having looked around I really liked the look of the wheel from the C Class W205.

I had a good read of various forums and it would appear that you need to upgrade your column slip ring if you have a pre-facelift and swap over the steering wheel contact plate PCB (inside the wheel itself). The contact plate swap is very easy to do AS LONG AS THE 2 WHEELS HAVE THE SAME SHAPED CONTACT PLATE PCB. Mine didn't.
I checked the resistance output from the buttons and they matched so knew that the wheel buttons were correct and the wiring activated the same things. Unfortunately the contact plate PCB translates the signal so that the cars CAN BUS can read it and act accordingly and if you don't get the correct PCB it won't work. It physically fit onto the steering column and the airbag connects OK but none of the buttons works which kind of defeats the object.
I tried a wheel with different button output values but that didn't work either. So I now have 2 AMG steering wheels and 1 airbag sat in boxes while I am scratching my head.

I have spent a fair bit of time and lots of money to get ......... nowhere so far.

I think I know the steering wheels inside out now so if I can be of any help I will try

Regards, HD

Thanks for you input but I'm now seriously considering not bothering as it's too much hassle and like you I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels and then they don't fit. I have been looking at other wheels 2012 onwards from the e class but I can not see the vibration motor or the plug that plugs into my steering column so I am losing hope. If I can find a wheel that's a upgrade over what I already have and is plug and play I'll do it but it's not looking hopeful.

Hi Robsey,
I have now finished my steering wheel upgrade and everything works (I too have Blind Spot and Lane Keep Assist) .
I fitted a flat bottomed AMG wheel with red stitching and it worked great but have now managed to find all the info and parts and so have removed that and fitted the latest W205 style wheel. Very happy.
As my car is 2015 My the slip ring on the steering column is different to the pre 2013 (non-facelift) models.
What year is your car? If pre 2013 then a new slip ring and wheel will definitely work (and I just so happen to have a flat bottomed AMG wheel, with vibrate, and airbag available) .

Regards HD

Good on you patience is the key. Mine is a late 2009 so could work could you send me over some details pictures of the wheel etc if possible?

Cheers matt

Looks like we can not use the private message function as we have less then 30 posts you can call me on let me know when you have got my number as I can then remove it off the post.

Last edited:
Hi. I have a w212 E Class 350cdi sport Sept 2011. It came with the AMG steering wheel as standard. When did they stop doing this?. Also came with the AMG mats. I don't know why as the the car is not an AMG.

Hi. I have a w212 E Class 350cdi sport Sept 2011. It came with the AMG steering wheel as standard. When did they stop doing this?. Also came with the AMG mats. I don't know why as the the car is not an AMG.

Did you buy it new?

If not then I presume that someone else "fettled" with it prior to your purchase.

Mine isn't an AMG either. I choose to not have the AMG as I am very broad across the shoulders and found the AMG seat bolsters very restrictive. I figured I could always fit a different steering wheel post purchase if I wanted it that much.

I too have AMG mats. They were cheaper on eBay than standard mats and do exactly the same job!

Regards, HD

Hi, no I purchased it approved used.
Just looked at the Oasis report. This shows all the things included or omitted at time of build. There are several...extras that were included and had to be paid for, the steering wheel is not on the list. The steering wheel however is listed as standard fitting for the sport as ....'code 277 AMG 3-spoke sports steering wheel. Also ' U26 AMG velour mats. This is why I asked if there had been a change in things included.

Last edited:
These are now sold to a more than happy fellow member. Thanks to the member that put him in touch.

Hi Hector's dad, do you still have the AMG steering wheel? I have a 2011 e350 avantgarde and would really like the sport steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hector's dad, do you still have the AMG steering wheel? I have a 2011 e350 avantgarde and would really like the sport steering wheel

Yes I do (I have 3 now actually) but can't PM you.

HD.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hmm maybe it's because I don't have enough posts and am fairly new here

U can email me at fmiah(at)Hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom