W212 E500 2012 (4.6 V8 biturbo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anders

Car
‘14 BMW X5 M50D
Thinking about swapping my C300 CDI for a 2012 E500 4matic with the 4.6 V8 biturbo. A bit of a rare beast, as it was only produced in pre-facelift shape in 2012, so few reviews can be found.

Anyone here had any experience with it? On paper it is a very nice package with 408 bhp/600 nm, yet very decent fuel economy (9.4 l/100 km).

You shouldn't have worried. My M157 engine has had the timing chain tensioner work done on it and it's fine.

I am a bit all over the place: from 911 (996) Turbo, to 997S, to BMW 550i (F10 408 bhp version) to Lexus IS-F.

I need a comfortable car for a monthly Brussels-Strasbourg-Brussels trip with decent fuel economy/range (the reason I sold my E60 M5, since it only managed 400 km on 70 litres) but also want the power and relative sportiness. Difficult balance...

May just end up keeping the C300...

Anders said:
I am a bit all over the place: from 911 (996) Turbo, to 997S, to BMW 550i (F10 408 bhp version) to Lexus IS-F. I need a comfortable car for a monthly Brussels-Strasbourg-Brussels trip with decent fuel economy/range (the reason I sold my E60 M5, since it only managed 400 km on 70 litres) but also want the power and relative sportiness. Difficult balance... May just end up keeping the C300...
Two words: E63 BiTurbo :rock:

Two words: E63 BiTurbo :rock:

I wish! Starting price second hand in Belgium is about 70.000 euro...

The 2010 550i (with 2 years BMW AUC warranty) I am looking at can be had for 5000 euro on top of my C300. Not an M or AMG but still a 4.4 V8 TT :eek:

Do you guys still get raped on fuel consumption tax?

Do you guys still get raped on fuel consumption tax?

Yes! First registration on a new car with more than 211 bhp: 5000 euro. Annual tax depending on engine size, so a 4.4 litre engine is 2200 euro, whereas a 3 litre engine is 750 euro... :wallbash:

Eek!!! Still got a soft spot for Belgium, even if I do get rained on very time I'm there ;)

Last edited:
Annual tax depending on engine size, so a 4.4 litre engine is 2200 euro :wallbash:

Hells Bells. I'm just about to tax the SLK, which is now a round £500 a year. And I though I was getting bent over..

Cheers,

Gaz

997s is better than the 996 turbo imho, everyone I know who has gone from a NA 911 to the Turbo has got bored of it after the honeymoon period.

The guy down the road from me has just gone from a 535d to the 550i and it over the moon with it, he is averaging 29mpg from it, which is only 6mpg behind the diesel.
His last tank was all long distances and he saw just over 35mpg.
For a car with 440bhp and a 0-60 of under 5 seconds he thinks it is pretty incredible.

He said it makes the 535d feel like a toy. Pretty high praise indeed.

I have an 2012 E500 coupe 4.7 TT and can tell you it’s stunning to drive.
it has loads of torque and is never short of HP.
It can accelerate like a bat out hell but will also cruise effortlessly at any speed whilst in complete comfort.
The fuel consumption is absolutely amazing and can put many smaller cars to shame
Around town 25-30mpg and motorway runs 28-36mpg depending on cruising speed
The ride on 18” wheels is more than acceptable and stiffens up nicely in sport mode

Hi Anders, I have always been a Porsche guy... classic and modern, and totally into 911s - whether air or water-cooled, however, i recently had equity in an MB financed C-class estate that my wife no longer uses, so I swapped it for a 2012 E500 Sport Coupe with an AMG kit. 4.7 twin-turbo V8 - 7G with paddles. Lovely package in Palladium with the usual spec of panoramic room and crazy infinitely adjustable seats.

This is the first time I have ever been truly impressed with a Mercedes - to the extent that I now am! And I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean that quite honestly, as I never felt so connected to a Merc as I do with my new (pre-owned) beast! It is unbelievably quick given its size, boot capacity and rear seating space. It very comfortably seats adults in the back, sounds amazing with the sport setting and in a paddle frenzy, and is blissfully quiet when I need to make a business call from the car on the way to the office. Most importantly, it never attracts the WRONG attention, because it slips by relatively unnoticed.

I. Totally. Love. It.

And I must say that the local Merc dealer looks after me like I'm some sort of celebrity, which is really nice... and a higher experience than you would get from pre-owned Bentley ownership, that I can definitely tell you!

I've just bought a set of Dare 18" alloys (8J & 9J) with Continental TS 830P winter tyres, so that I can do a fast run to Germany during winter...safely... because the only downside I can see with the car is the fact it breaks traction so damn easily... but that is the result of 600NM of torque at 1600rpm!

Dare Dr-ch Hyper-silver Alloys & 235-40-18-front--265-35-18-rear- Continental Wintercontact-ts-830p Tyre Package | Alloy Wheel and Tyre Packages

This is my first post - I am a newbie to the enthusiast world of MB.

Sounds good. I really like the E500, wish they offered the estate in it still.

Those Dare alloys look quite expensive though.

You can buy original BBS CHs for £1050...
BBS CH Black 18" Alloy Wheels - Wheelbase

Then a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 4Ds for around £400.

Don't discount a C400 or E400 it could give you the compromise between power and range that you're looking for.

Not available on the Estates. :(

Oh, I thought you were replying to me saying I wished they still offered the E500 in estate form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom