Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

texasjohn

Car
335i Vermillion Red
Ok folks I'm giving serious consideration to a W212 5.5. After a couple of drives in XFs (the engine I want only comes on 20" wheels) I found the ride too hard and while I really wanted to buy British for a change, it's not the car for me.

I drove the W212 coupe today and was quite impressed with the refinement of it for a smallish coupe. Ride comfort is spot on and it is very quiet and insulated, when you want it to be; on full throttle you get awonderful soundtrack.

I know the coupe is a C Class in an E Class frock, and very familiar with the 7G mated to the 5.5 388PS motor, having had it in a W211 (with the lovely airmatic).

What do I need to know or look for specific to a used W212 coupe? The car I saw is at an independent so I have some comeback but I'd rather satisfy myself before I make the commitment?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, if anyone's aware of a chap in the New Forest who recently traded one in, it will be his old car.

The e class coupe is known as a w207 or c207

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has the C class chassisbut E level equipment. I'm biased as I have one but I think it is a smashing car.

I very much like the idea of one with the M278 (4.7 biturbo), but there's very few to choose from as it was only a year or so before the E400 replaced it.

I'm not sure about this now. I went to have a second look, it's very tight in the back and while I am confident the child seats will fit in, there isn't much room.

It is tight in the back, I warn all my passengers before they get in . The tall ones struggle for head room and and the chubby ones .....well you know...

I very much like the idea of one with the M278 (4.7 biturbo), but there's very few to choose from as it was only a year or so before the E400 replaced it.

Yes, I would like to drive the 4.7 turbo but I much prefer the NA power delivery, I am very familiar with the M273 5.5 from my W211. I had a BMW 4.4 turbo 550i and much preferred the 4.8NA in the previous shape 550i. I can't speak for a comparison of the MB 5.5 v 4.7t, but I saw no advantage where the BMW is concerned, MPG was the same or worse on the turbo, CO2 was about the same. It had 40-45 more HP and torque but the newer 5 series is a heavier car.

It is tight in the back, I warn all my passengers before they get in . The tall ones struggle for head room and and the chubby ones .....well you know...

I meant for the kids.

We went to see the car again today. The HK isn't that good (it's ok, but not a patch on the HK in the 550i) so I will probably upgrade it at some point. The car is missing the cable set for the Media Interface so need to purchase some of those.

Anyway, the main point was trying the child seats and making sure we all fitted comfortably. I am delighted to say that everyone fits in so I have bought it. :D

Will be nice to be back behind the wheel of an M273 again soon.:bannana:

I will miss the i40 hire car I have had for the last four weeks in some ways, mostly the ride comfort on 16" and the MPG. I never thought I would be impressed with a Hyundai, but it is not a bad car at all.

Attachments

• media20.jpg
    media20.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
The C207 is an altered C-class chassis to give you the pillarless design, the C Coupe has the pillar.
As to room in the back, my kids are fine (aged 2 and 7) in the back. but adults will struggle. There is no armrest in the rear, same design as the C-Class.
The driving experience is a nice balance of extreme pace when u want it and almost silence wafting for most applications, Motorway speeds I have averaged around 30MPG so 400 mile range is achievable on a long run with a high level of self control.

I love the car, its a stealth weapon (mine is de-badged)

BTW the Targa Florio coupe for sale looks like a good deal, although I havent seen it in the flesh. Most e500's will have a good spec.

Yes, I would like to drive the 4.7 turbo but I much prefer the NA power delivery, I am very familiar with the M273 5.5 from my W211. I had a BMW 4.4 turbo 550i and much preferred the 4.8NA in the previous shape 550i. I can't speak for a comparison of the MB 5.5 v 4.7t, but I saw no advantage where the BMW is concerned, MPG was the same or worse on the turbo, CO2 was about the same. It had 40-45 more HP and torque but the newer 5 series is a heavier car.

You're right, looking closer there's not much in it at all. I'd been considering between these 2 in the S-class, where there's a much larger gap (50hp, 100ftlb and about 6mpg better)

The C207 is an altered C-class chassis to give you the pillarless design, the C Coupe has the pillar.
As to room in the back, my kids are fine (aged 2 and 7) in the back. but adults will struggle. There is no armrest in the rear, same design as the C-Class.
The driving experience is a nice balance of extreme pace when u want it and almost silence wafting for most applications, Motorway speeds I have averaged around 30MPG so 400 mile range is achievable on a long run with a high level of self control.

I love the car, its a stealth weapon (mine is de-badged)

BTW the Targa Florio coupe for sale looks like a good deal, although I havent seen it in the flesh. Most e500's will have a good spec.

Thanks Paul. I enjoyed the drive home in it today, took a long diversion. It's a bit quicker than the W211 of course and seems better on fuel, but it's 10% lighter and probably cuts through the air a bit more efficiently. My only complaint is a rattly rear shelf (HK subwoofer speaker) so my first task is to pad that out. They'd have been better using the 209 CLK location between the rear seats.

Last edited:
Ok so the update...

I am not sure if it is better on fuel than the W211 with the same engine but I don't really care!

It struggles to get the power down somewhat but it has been damp and cold of course.

In terms of the rear shelf rattle on certain bass frequencies, I have investigated the rear shelf and the rear shelf trim seems to be very well insulated from the metal shelf below; very little room or flex between the two. I read on one post about stuffing foam or suchlike in the exposed metal holes - as you look in the boot and upwards you will see these, but there is a foam panel between the two and to me it seemed pretty pointless trying to stuff more material into any cavities.

I stuffed some rag strips right at the back of the shelf trim where it meets the base of the rear windscreen and turned the stereo right up - no more rattle! Thus, I believe it is actually the rear shelf trim panel banging against the glass that caused the rattle.

So, I went under the kitchen sink, found a couple of those small square washing up sponges, ripped off the abrasive green side from the foam block and cut them up into strips, roughly 1cm x 1cm x 4cm size. You get about 5 out of a sponge.

Then I stuffed these foam 'fingers' down at the base of the rear windscreen between the glass and the rear shelf trim panel. I used about 8, equally spaced.

This has cut out nearly all of the rattle and I can now listen to my music in pleasure...

Bring on the summer and roads with grip!!! i haven't been able to mash mine to floor for almost a month without the TC interfering, even switched off it still lurks in the background. :fail:fail i think the E500 could take a wider rear tyre.

Glad the sound system has been sorted.

I was thinking about slightly wider tyres when the time is due. A secondary advantage to ride comfort due to a slightly deeper sidewall, but of course more road noise due to the larger contact patch.

Lovely car. More pics please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom