W212 E500 sails through another MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
I'm 2 years, 4 months and 10,000 miles into my ownership of my 2010 E500 and it has just sailed through another MOT with only two minor advisories; a small scuff to the paint on one the rear doors (really?) and a chip in the windscreen - I'd already booked a session with Euroglass in Borehamwood on Monday to fix that.

The only bad news is that one of the front rims has a buckle. It was making a noise like a failing wheel bearing last weekend in Norfolk when I was braking from speed and so that explains that. Off to First Aid Wheels to get that done tomorrow. Then an alignment at Wembley Tyres and I'm good to go.

So in the last couple of weeks I've polished it, waxed the wheels, sorted the A/C, replaced the pollen filter and had it MOT'd. To be followed by sorting the wheel & alignment.

Really enjoying the car and looking forward to two weeks with family, French friends and bikes in the Loire valley. Gratuitous pic.

E500

I’ll tell you something, it’s hard to beat a good 212. Our 350 cdi is a wonderful machine. So refined, great ride , well made etc Makes a mockery of Fils equivalent 5 series.

I’ll tell you something, it’s hard to beat a good 212. Our 350 cdi is a wonderful machine. So refined, great ride , well made etc Makes a mockery of Fils equivalent 5 series.

Great way to cover long distances in an entirely unruffled way. On the French autoroutes you can't even tell there are 4 bikes on the roof thanks to noise insulation and Airmatic.

Wheels in motion Chesham is the place to go

I hear a lot about WIM from here and from Pistonheads. BUT it's an hour away and Wembley Tyres is round the corner.

Also BSG Mercedes put me onto them when I had my first C43 and I've been going there ever since.

What with having to go to Borehamwood for the screen (camera calibration) and all the other faffing about I'll have to go local.

Agree, bonkers.

I didn't speak to the tester himself but challenged his mate and after mumbling a bit agreed that he had no idea why it had been highlighted.

I might post a pic tomorrow but not sure if it would even show up. It's about the size of my thumb. Plus the chip in the windscreen is miles away from the drivers kind of site.

Oh well no great shakes. I like the owner and he's been good.

The 350 CDi is a lovely quiet refined engine with excellent mpg. The 530d I had though had more guts to it with a better 8 speed XF box. That said the E350 is hardly a snail..

Maybe the note was to protect the tester against any damage claim?

Actually, that makes sense. The mark itself is miniscule. An area about two inches long where something has rubbed the top coat off. The only explanation is so the tester is making it clear that he didn't do it.

It's the white-ish mark halfway between the doo handle and the arch.

Scratch In Car Door

Update; saw my front rims spun up at First Aid Wheels; one of them was seriously out of shape. So had it straightened & balanced.

I haven't seen a rim as wonky since I had the staggered rears on my C43's which had a habit of bending and cracking.

Oh well, the joys of AMG rims, low profile tyres and third world road surfaces.

Alignment now done. Both front wheels had been pointing one way and both rear wheels the other. Took it for a quick blast and the slight vagueness has gone. Back to its original crispness, willingness to tun in and precision (for such a large car) in the corners. Glad it was just the alignment and not the bushes.

Ready for France now. Well, nearly - windscreen fitting on Monday.

The 350 CDi is a lovely quiet refined engine with excellent mpg. The 530d I had though had more guts to it with a better 8 speed XF box. That said the E350 is hardly a snail..

I like the V6 diesel, suits the character of the car. Tried one and was impressed by the refinement and poke off the line. As documented elsewhere, though at the time ULEZ was coming in and my budget wouldn't get me intro a Euro VI diesel so the London mayor forced me into a V8. LOL.

My W212 E350 (petrol!) is up to 230,000 miles and remains rather lovely.

The air suspension that was specified for mine makes it still very smooth - particularly given age and spec.

J

Doing 4,000 miles a year? Sounds like you really ought to switch to an E350 - they're very good cars you know - and at very reasonable prices now.

Let me know when you decide to sell...... (nudge, nudge.... you know it makes sense)

Hens teeth are easier to find than these bloody things.

My W212 E350 (petrol!) is up to 230,000 miles and remains rather lovely.

The air suspension that was specified for mine makes it still very smooth - particularly given age and spec.

J

Mactech, our resident automotive engineer, pointed out that one of the side benefits of air suspension is the fact that it reduces the noise being transmitted to the cabin via the struts.

Making an E Class fitted with it even more sybaritic.

Mactech, our resident automotive engineer, pointed out that one of the side benefits of air suspension is the fact that it reduces the noise being transmitted to the cabin via the struts. Making an E Class fitted with it even more sybaritic.

Now I know you're just trying to wind me up now.....

Sell it, sell it, you want a new one. You want a new one....

Mactech, our resident automotive engineer, pointed out that one of the side benefits of air suspension is the fact that it reduces the noise being transmitted to the cabin via the struts.

Making an E Class fitted with it even more sybaritic.

Perfectly true! I have heard it with my own ears and measured it with my own sound metero_O....normally kept in the glove box of the GLE. How sad is that?
I also had it confirmed to me by the lead German chassis engineer at Bentley. (Herr Suspension?)

Might have made his name up, but on our Audi Sport engineering team for the Le Mans project we really did have a Herr Heir and a Herr Dryer....:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom