W212 E63 5.5 pre facelift purchasing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gavin87

Car
BMW 435D
Hi MB forums,

Wonder if anyone can offer some insight.

Currently exploring purchasing a pre-facelift W212 E63 5.5TT.

Just after some advice re: what to look out for, when buying and also some running costs (mainly in terms of services and maintenance).

What are the service requirements for this vehicle (months and mileage) and what are the approx. costs of the routine services? Obviously I understand fuel, tax and tyres are going to be high. Just want to be sure I am factoring in all the costs for a year in terms of operating the car.

Also any major alarm bells to look for when buying one of these? Are there are common issues that may be a concern to watch out for?

Grateful for any insights! Cheers.

Welcome to the forum :thumb: Great choice of motor and to help you with all your queries (as most probably they have all been asked before) try the search function at the top of the page. There have been a fair few threads on the these models from the owners perspective/experience.

Great car and a good choice.

Things to look out for?
Rattle from engine on either a cold or hot start. Easy but quite expensive fix.
Check the discs and pads. Discs, especially the front one are expensive (£700 a pair)
Has it got the options you want. I always look for a 360 camera and pano roof for starters. and I'd want decent tyres all round, not ditchfinders.

I'd need to see a full and correct service history. Service once a year or 15k miles. ATF change at 31k miles, brake fluid every 2 years. spark plugs every 4 years.
I just bought a service plan for mine which is £1500 up front for 3 services or £52 a month. The A service is around £350 at a main dealer, B service could be up to £700+ dependant on what needs doing time and mileage wise. A service plan covers all costs except disposables like discs and pads.
Running costs are not cheap, no AMG's are.
I'm getting around 18mpg around town and 25 mpg on a run although my car has been remapped so 28 on a run is achievable.
Road tax is now £560 pa and insurance depends on too many factors to say what You'll pay. FYI, mine is £360 pa with Tesco.

I'm sure I've missed loads, but ask if there is anything I can answer for you.

Timing chain. The early ones are prone to stretching. You can see the chain through the oil cap. If the centre of the link is two pieces of metal it’s the early chain. The later chain has a fat single central link. To replace the chain is costly

Also, if the exhaust is smoking a little, suspect the turbo oil seals are leaking.

Also check the gear box on all the different settings. It should be really smooth in c mode. In s s+ and M mode the gear box should feel more eager to shift, but should still shift with no oddities.

As been said look for a vehicle that's been well cared for and serviced when it's be required. These cars do change hands quite often so a car with a few owners is nothing out the ordinary. Specification options do vary from car to car but multi contour active seats are very very comfortable and the massage function is a nice touch. Many other options are available but this will have an affect on the asking price.

Running costs not bad as long as you stay away from a main dealer with petrol being the most common.
My experience so far
Sparks MB ones £198
Oil and filter less than £80 these engine don't require fancy oils at all and I change twice yearly.
Tyres all round £700-1000
Front discs are expensive for what they are but the grooves are cut to minimum thickness so can be used to check what's left.
Many options on rear discs and pads as these get chewed due to the traction control but thankfully are pretty cheap.
Independent tranny oil and filter £200-250
Brake fluid change £50 every 2 years

Check for oil leaks form the engine.
Nearside breather seal at front of the engine can leak and drip onto turbo.
Cam cover seals front of the engine, will leak onto alternator and get onto turbos.. both sides an M157 issue.
Oil thermostat cover on oil filter housing leaks.

Coolant leaks from the turbo cooling lines where they enter timing case cover / water pump. These are really difficult to see with a mirrior / torch needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom