W212 E63 6.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ube63

Car
W212 E63 6.2
Hello all
Not sure this is the right place in the forum, but here we go.
I have been searching for an E63 lately. 6.2 litre is my choice of engine. Ideally looking for a late model with updated head bolts but I am not ruling out an early one that's been upgraded.
I've seen a couple of examples that are currently advertised on autotrader and eBay but none did the trick for me. I am after one that's not been modified or trashed. I am sure there are good examples out there so I thought perhaps some of you have one for sale or know a person who does.
Looking forward hearing from you all.
Thanks

Hello all
I have been searching for an E63 lately. 6.2 litre is my choice of engine. Ideally looking for a late model with updated head bolts but I am not ruling out an early one that's been upgraded.
I've seen a couple of examples that are currently advertised on autotrader and eBay but none did the trick for me. I am after one that's not been modified or trashed. I am sure there are good examples out there so I thought perhaps some of you have one for sale or know a person who does.
Thanks
Welcome to MBClub. You have good taste in cars and I’m sure it will be worth holding out for the right example. If the right car comes up, but which hasn’t had the preventative maintenance items attended to already then you could always take care of this yourself.

Hello all
Thanks

Firstly hello, knowing if a car has been trashed or not is rather hard to tell or not. Regular services and maintenance within its history is a good sign it's been looked after. Service history and maintenance records would be an indication it's been better looked after than one that hasn't all that in place.

Regarding "Head bolt" issue, the uprated bolts were brought in late 2010 onwards. Certain engine numbers can clarify this. Most engines late 2010 and after should be ok.

Same early cars may have had the uprated " MALE" headbolts applied to the vehicle. If you do find an early model look to see if it's been replaced in its history. Most don't.

If you are genuinely looking into purchasing the M156 W212 then I would suggest you test drive one or two to actually confirm of you like the performance it produces.

Listen out for any Camshaft adjuster noises on Cold starts this can be a tell tale sign the camshafts need replacing, along with the headbolts can be replaced for around 3k including labour. The obvious valve cover leaks can be a accuring issue also.

Overall it's a fantastic engine and if a buyer is willing to out way the risk with a few issues that can present itself, it's a marvelous place to be. Good luck with finding your M156. I'll upload a link that highlights more detailed troubles the M156 can show its head.

Firstly hello, knowing if a car has been trashed or not is rather hard to tell or not. Regular services and maintenance within its history is a good sign it's been looked after. Service history and maintenance records would be an indication it's been better looked after than one that hasn't all that in place.

Regarding "Head bolt" issue, the uprated bolts were brought in late 2010 onwards. Certain engine numbers can clarify this. Most engines late 2010 and after should be ok.

Same early cars may have had the uprated " MALE" headbolts applied to the vehicle. If you do find an early model look to see if it's been replaced in its history. Most don't.

If you are genuinely looking into purchasing the M156 W212 then I would suggest you test drive one or two to actually confirm of you like the performance it produces.

Listen out for any Camshaft adjuster noises on Cold starts this can be a tell tale sign the camshafts need replacing, along with the headbolts can be replaced for around 3k including labour. The obvious valve cover leaks can be a accuring issue also.

Overall it's a fantastic engine and if a buyer is willing to out way the risk with a few issues that can present itself, it's a marvelous place to be. Good luck with finding your M156. I'll upload a link that highlights more detailed troubles the M156 can show its head.
Some excellent points.

More in-depth article one the M156.

Thank you all who replied for warm welcome and for the points you made. I've test driven a couple and decided that a saloon w212 m156 is the right one for me.
Maybe I'm a bit fussy but I've ruled out the ones I've seen so far due to reasons like:
- patchy service history
- interior wear not corresponding to indicated mileage
- muffler/resonator deleted
- too many previous owners
- owner/dealer clearly lying in attempt to hide something

I'm not in a rush and am happy to wait for the right car preferably directly from the owner.

Thank you all who replied for warm welcome and for the points you made. I've test driven a couple and decided that a saloon w212 m156 is the right one for me.
Maybe I'm a bit fussy but I've ruled out the ones I've seen so far due to reasons like:
- patchy service history
- interior wear not corresponding to indicated mileage
- muffler/resonator deleted
- too many previous owners

I'm not in a rush and am happy to wait for the right car preferably directly from the owner.
I agree, there are plenty out there so waiting for the right one is best.

All of them will have a digital service history, so can be checked easily.

This is just every car dealer I have ever had any misfortune to speak with regarding any second hand car. The only exception has been if the car is brand new and therefore doesn't have pending service, MOT, finance etc. Otherwise buyer beware in my experience and you can't trust any of them (or at least, none of the dozens I've dealt with).

Good luck with the search. I keep eyeing up the same vehicle, but don't have the funds nor time to dedicate to the research I would want to put into buying at this present time.

My current car had more owners than I was really hoping for, but all service history was in place and the car drove fantastic on the test drive. The interior was immaculate for my liking and starting from cold start there were no odd or abnormal noises. I've had a few things to replace on the car but overall I'm well please with it.

The famous headbolt issue is much rarer than you would be led to believe so dont ignore a well looked after earlier one

The famous headbolt issue is much rarer than you would be led to believe so dont ignore a well looked after earlier one
I've read and heard a few horror stories that makes me think if I went for an earlier one i would be living with a ticking time bomb. I also know that people with positive experiences tend to share them less, so the issue is not as big as it seems.
Good advice though, thank you.

Hello again, thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I have purchased my 6.2 E63 yesterday and drove it back home just over 150 miles. Such an enjoyable car, so far I do not have any complains. I am looking forward to putting miles on it.

Private vendor or trade? Colour, spec? And as above, pictures.

It is not very presentable at the moment after driving it 150 miles through rain and slushy snow yesterday. I will post photos after I give it a bath and interior vacuum.
I bought it from a private seller. It is black on black with a couple of modest optional extras like AMG drivers package (higher speed limiter, not that I will ever go beyond 155 mph), red callipers, leather/suede 3 spoke steering wheel, Command with satnav and CD changer and that's about it. A panoramic roof would have been good but I decided that I would buy on condition and not on spec so here we go. It has got just above 50k miles on the clock.

He is based in Scotland.
Ah no problem. It sounded like an E63 I saw on Autotrader a few months ago, located at or near Bristol.

Did you cross the border to pick it up?

Ah no problem. It sounded like an E63 I saw on Autotrader a few months ago, located at or near Bristol.

Did you cross the border to pick it up?
Tut Tut.........Queen Nicola wouldn't allow that:p

OP, you'll' have fun in that car. Pics are a must when its cleaned up.
Your local filling station will be very happy.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom