W212 E63 AMG - front arb bushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexM

Car
W212 E63 AMG Saloon
Hi,

I think I have some knocking noises fromt the front ARB - the drop links seem ok, so it is probably coming from the anti roll bar bushes. I have failed to come up with a part numberr for thes rubber bushes themselves, and someone told me that they are only supplied with the complete anti roll bar (£900+, thank you!). Is that really possible? it would be a first if so. I'd be inclined to replace with poly bushes if I can measure and find some at the right interrnal diameter.

Any ideas?.

Regards,
Alex

Can't see a separate part number on EPC but there are a number of ARBs so would need a VIN. The price on EPC is in Euros and is nowhere near £900 so might be worth finding out from a dealer?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick comeback. I've PM'd you my chasssis VIN - I'd be very grateful for a part/assembly number and indicative price.

Many thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex, part number on your car is A2183230465

Diameter is showing as 31mm

B32060000558.110518.png

Thanks bob. that's a huge ARB! I can forget any possibility of 3rd party poly bushes for 31mm diameter :(.

At least the prices aren't anything like as bad as I thought - prices in the region of 250-300 euro..

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Alex

Are you sure it's the ARB bushes? There was an issue with knocking from (I believe) the top suspension mounts on some W212's.

Steve Maxwell will be able to give you more details.

At this stage, no I'm not totally sure. I had a look over the car on a ramp, and the balljoints and ARB drop links seemed not to have free play or wear. I understand that the car can give the arb drop links and bushes a hard time given it's weight. Nothing definative yet. I think that I'll try changing out the cheaper components before the ARB. I guess a visual inspection would highlight polishing of the ARB or wear to the bushes once disassembled - I presume the rubber bushes are split and can be taken out?.

The suspension strut top mounts have been re-packed with the grease by MB - they were making a noise winding on/off lock, and have been fine since. The noise is a faint bobbling rattle excited by vertical wheel motions - it's pretty mild but it bothers me..

Regards,
Alex

According to WIS (for a 212.074) , the rubber bushing and bearing shells are vulcanised to the torsion bar. Thus it states to replace the torsion bar if any wear in bushing or shell.

That is very interesting - excuse my ignorance but does that suggest that the arb doesnt rotate within the rubber bushing?, that suggests that any movement would suggest replacement of the bar assembly is necessary. It is possibly a misdiagnosis - might change the drop links and see if matters improve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom