W212 E63 biturbo brakes DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big1Jim

SUPPORTER
Car
W212 E63 BiTurbo
Going to change the pads and discs all round.

Any top tips or things I need to be aware of before I start?

Cheers

Which front discs did you buy?

Good luck. Do a write up afterwards.
I'll be doing mine next year.

This may help if you've not seen the WIS for this.

Attachments

• install brake disk, brake caliper and brake pads of front wheel brake.pdf
    430.2 KB · Views: 19
  • install front axle brake pads.pdf
    339.8 KB · Views: 11
  • installing brake disk, brake caliper and pads of rear wheel brake.pdf
    381.4 KB · Views: 13
Which front discs did you buy?

Good luck. Do a write up afterwards.
I'll be doing mine next year.

This may help if you've not seen the WIS for this.
Great thanks very much, great stuff.

I haven't bought the discs yet. Thinking Brembo but open to suggestions.

Give under the arches a real good pressure wash a day or so before starting.

When under there with the wheels off give under the arches a good clean, clean and treat the inside of the wheels.
If doing this on a nice drive putting something down to catch all the dirt is a top tip.

Clean up the brake pipes and hoses, I treat the ferrules with FE123 and after cleaning the hoses some GT85 over these then some wax on the brake pipes.
My W212 is 10 years old and not had an MOT fail or advisory. ;)

Fit new screws for the discs as old ones can be siezed on.

I use ceramic brake grease rather than copper grease is it does not conduct so you are less likely to get galvanic corrosion.

Use quality parts such as Brembo or OEM, no point in saving on parts when you are doing the job yourself.

Maybe this should be in the Brakes section though?

I'd get a set of drift pin punches beforehand unless you have them already.
Bit a of a pain to have the car in the air and fail to be able to remove the drift pins.
Something like these.
Also, check the caliper retaining bolts are just metric and not torx bolts.

Great thanks very much, great stuff.

I haven't bought the discs yet. Thinking Brembo but open to suggestions.

I just bought a full set of discs & pads (CLS 350) direct from TRW at approx 50% cost of what MB wanted. Theres are branded.......TRW ;)

Find out who makes yours OEM and go with those.

Getting toward this myself.
I think I'd go with the Brembo floating items as opposed to the MB/Zimmerman just on a looks basis and there would be less corrosion on the hat / mounting portion of the disc.
Only thing that might hold me back is that years ago I read that floating discs can be noisy but I can't find anything to substantiate this.
The list of jobs increases :oops:

Are you getting low dust (ceramic) pads. I'm thinking of getting them for my S63 but would like feedback from someone who has used them

I bought brembo discs (not the floating ones granted) pads & sensors from Autodoc £500 all in.
I'm sure I read somewhere that you *should* replace the caliper bolts after removal is it the same for the E63? I've ordered new ones for my C63 for when I change my discs & pads. £30 for the 8 bolts from MB.

I think there are three types of front discs with same dimensions that technically fit the E63.
The once piece variant from the C63, the OE E63 design (which is meant to look floating but is solid) and the Brembo aluminum hat floating version.
Not my area, but I can't imagine any real difference between the solid (c63 type) and the semi solid OE (E63 type) other than the solid version being significantly cheaper.
Caliper bolts need replacing but if you remove via the hub, seemingly these can be re-torqued and re-used.

The OEM version that's more expensive is a composite casting, meaning the spider/bell is aluminium and the rotor is steel. This has advantages for weight and thermal distribution but it's not a floating design. Better than 'normal' discs but as Brembo two piece are similar cost or less they are the more attractive option.

I bought brembo discs (not the floating ones granted) pads & sensors from Autodoc £500 all in.
I'm sure I read somewhere that you *should* replace the caliper bolts after removal is it the same for the E63? I've ordered new ones for my C63 for when I change my discs & pads. £30 for the 8 bolts from MB.

Did you have any issues using one piece discs? Eg warping, judder etc?

Cheers

Did you have any issues using one piece discs? Eg warping, judder etc?

Cheers
Mine are currently one piece so it will be a like for like swap. I've not had any issues with the discs currently fitted.

Mine are currently one piece so it will be a like for like swap. I've not had any issues with the discs currently fitted.
Do you have a link to the ones you have fitted by any chance? Cheers.

These are the discs, pads & sensors I ordered. You can see the brembo part No.s in the pics, I went on the brembo site & confirmed the No.s before ordering, hope this helps.

Attachments

• 044CE183-7141-4E0D-9567-9F23205CFF4D.png
    044CE183-7141-4E0D-9567-9F23205CFF4D.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1DD2A337-3006-4EBC-A90B-307FE69F9981.jpeg
    1DD2A337-3006-4EBC-A90B-307FE69F9981.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 10
  • DCA96ECD-C303-4BC1-827E-56E4B00F2B31.jpeg
    DCA96ECD-C303-4BC1-827E-56E4B00F2B31.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5FBBE849-2B1E-4611-942D-12F2AA3523A6.png
    5FBBE849-2B1E-4611-942D-12F2AA3523A6.png