W212 E63 DIY Rear brake pad change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
After receiving my Powerstop Z16 Ceramic brake pads from Rock Auto in the US in record time (6 days) I fitted them this morning.

20210910_104534[1].jpg

The o/s/r has the wear sensor so tackled that one first. Had to disconnect the wear sensor from the back of the caliper first, then knocked the pins through and pulled out the outer pad with ease, but the inner one was jammed tight and took almost an hour to remove tapping it, levering on it and finally wiggling it free. It looked like a big build up of brake dust was preventing the pad just sliding out the the other one. Anyway, greased the rear of the pads and the leading edges with Textar ceratic brake grease and they fitted perfectly. It was a bit of a struggle getting the retaining stainless clip in place and knocking the two pins in from the back of the caliper. Finally did the o/s in 1hr 45 minutes. Very slow.
I did tap the lower pin further after taking the photo.

20210911_095159.jpg

Checked the fluid level (yes I'd opened the cap and ensure pushing back the pads hadn't pushed brake fluid out the top) and started on the n/s/r.
Went like clockwork after the problems with the first set and had these fitted in around 20 minutes start to finish. Had to remove a bit of fluid from the reservoir this time.
Started the car, no warning lights for brake wear, checked fluid and all is well.

The instructions on the box for these pads recommend bedding them in using " 30x 30mph - 5mph hard stops with 15 second intervals to dissipate heat" Took the car for a short run to check operation was OK and I'll do the stops tomorrow on a quiet industrial estate road.
20210911_104404.jpg

So its a fairly straightforward job for any DIY er with basic skills. As always with brakes, if in doubt, leave it to the experts.
Time will tell if these ceramic pads do what they say and reduce brake dust, the main reason for not going OEM pads.
The front TRW ceramic pads have been brilliant for lack of dust. A London trip last week saw no dust at all deposited on the alloys.
I do recommend them.

20210910_104641[1].jpg

One pic of old OEM pads. the ones I removed first were more badly worn.
20210911_104348.jpg

Last edited:
After receiving my Powerstop Z16 Ceramic brake pads from Rock Auto in the US in record time (6 days) I fitted them this morning.

View attachment 118302

The o/s/r has the wear sensor so tackled that one first. Had to disconnect the wear sensor from the back of the caliper first, then knocked the pins through and pulled out the outer pad with ease, but the inner one was jammed tight and took almost an hour to remove tapping it, levering on it and finally wiggling it free. It looked like a big build up of brake dust was preventing the pad just sliding out the the other one. Anyway, greased the rear of the pads and the leading edges with Textar ceratic brake grease and they fitted perfectly. It was a bit of a struggle getting the retaining stainless clip in place and knocking the two pins in from the back of the caliper. Finally did the o/s in 1hr 45 minutes. Very slow.
I did tap the lower pin further after taking the photo.

View attachment 118303

Checked the fluid level (yes I'd opened the cap and ensure pushing back the pads hadn't pushed brake fluid out the top) and started on the n/s/r.
Went like clockwork after the problems with the first set and had these fitted in around 20 minutes start to finish. Had to remove a bit of fluid from the reservoir this time.
Started the car, no warning lights for brake wear, checked fluid and all is well.

The instructions on the box for these pads recommend bedding them in using " 30x 30mph - 5mph hard stops with 15 second intervals to dissipate heat" Took the car for a short run to check operation was OK and I'll do the stops tomorrow on a quiet industrial estate road.
View attachment 118305

So its a fairly straightforward job for any DIY er with basic skills. As always with brakes, if in doubt, leave it to the experts.
Time will tell if these ceramic pads do what they say and reduce brake dust, the main reason for not going OEM pads.
The front TRW ceramic pads have been brilliant for lack of dust. A London trip last week saw no dust at all deposited on the alloys.
I do recommend them.

View attachment 118306

One pic of old OEM pads. the ones I removed first were more badly worn.
View attachment 118308
Very very tidy looking. Nice job it’s good feeling when succeed ,

It is common for the inner pad to wear more, as it’s directly pushed by the piston so in practice, does more work . Any slack or play in the slide pins will mean the outer pad is applied fractionally later.
I found this out, when my MX5 got an advisory on inner pads. Though the outers look half worn, the inners were down to a coupe of mill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom