W212 E63 End of Term Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I thought some members who wonder about the cost of owning and running an AMG V8 may find it useful to have some real-world numbers for reference, so here goes.

Background
I bought my 2015 facelift E63 Biturbo at 10 months old as an ex-dem car, with just over 800 miles on the odo and ran it for 3 years and 6 weeks, covering 40,600 miles. As part of the deal it had two years servicing included, and was obviously under warranty until it hit 3 years old. I paid for the service (at a main dealer) during the third year of my ownership. Soon after I purchased the car, I had a Quaife ATB diff. fitted and COMAND in Lightwater retrofitted a reversing camera. The only other non-consumable costs were the insurance excess on one windscreen stone chip repair, and two (yes, two!) windscreen replacements.

Reliability
With the exception of the start/stop system that worked only when it felt like it, the car was 100% reliable. Not one fault during my ownership.

Running Costs
The car was run almost exclusively on Momentum 99, with the occasional fill of Shell V-Power Nitro+ when I needed fuel and no Momentum was available. I’m light on brakes, so only the rear pads were replaced during my period of ownership.

In the table below, the Non-Service Parts line includes the Quaife Diff., the Reverse Camera Retrofit and the windscreen replacement excesses. The Consumables line covers oil top-ups between services and wiper blade replacements. Everything else is self-explanatory.

QRnDjrR.jpg

Clearly the stand-out item is depreciation, which dwarfs the rest of the running costs, with fuel – the bit that everyone thinks of – the next largest at just over a third of the depreciation cost.

On a TCO basis, it cost almost £1.07 per mile ( :eek: ) which makes very little sense for a daily driver, but as for value for money, it made me smile every time I drove it and I’ll miss the feel good factor that it brought, the relaxed luxury when I needed it and the sheer drama when I wanted it.

Was it worth it? You bet. Every last penny :D:D:D

The BEST car we have ever owned also. Totally fault free in the 30k miles we put on it in 2 years. The C63 is just horrible compared to it.

What are you going to replace it with?
See my signature - a W177 A220. I’ve also just retired early so it was a good time to reduce future liabilities :cool:

The BEST car we have ever owned also. Totally fault free in the 30k miles we put on it in 2 years. The C63 is just horrible compared to it.
It's hard for anyone who hasn’t owned, driven and lived with an E63 Biturbo for a long period to appreciate just how complete a car they are. I’ve never owned a C63 but I’ve driven a few and they are just not in the same league.

Before I bought my first E63 Biturbo in 2014 I justified it to myself on the basis that I wanted to look back at some time in the future and say, “remember when...” rather than, “I wish I'd...”. After owning two of them and driving them daily for 5 years I doubt I’ll ever own another car that is so much fun and so damn good as a complete package.

Shrouds have no pockets my friend!
Too true!

I was told by an IFA once that I was aiming too low when I said that my objective when I finally shuffle off was to leave this world with exactly the same amount of money that I’d arrived with. “Make sure the cheque for the undertaker bounces”, was his recommendation :D

It's hard for anyone who hasn’t owned, driven and lived with an E63 Biturbo for a long period to appreciate just how complete a car they are. I’ve never owned a C63 but I’ve driven a few and they are just not in the same league.

Before I bought my first E63 Biturbo in 2014 I justified it to myself on the basis that I wanted to look back at some time in the future and say, “remember when...” rather than, “I wish I'd...”. After owning two of them and driving them daily for 5 years I doubt I’ll ever own another car that is so much fun and so damn good as a complete package.
I got both Phil no a s63 but a cls63s and a c63 estate and the cls is a better car for long distance journeys however the c63 is good fun round town and is cheaper to run than the cls.

Depreciation doesn’t seem that bad for a nearly new high end car. Well bought/sold.

Out of your system or do you think you’ll go for something similar at some point in the future?

Great post. Many thanks! Depreciation £8k p.a.

img-thing_19JlMOx.jpg.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

Not the first to switch from a high performance saloon to

a more normal saloon with a luxury convertible for high days and holidays.

Out of your system or do you think you’ll go for something similar at some point in the future?
Good question. Never say never and all that, but I suspect it's unlikely that I'll actually own another car like that myself, but as my wife still has her R172 SLK55 we're not actually "AMG-less" :)

Oh, and the other automotive itch I always had that's currently being addressed is here: New Toy Collected ;)

Great Information and thanks for sharing. It puts real world ownership into context.

Any photographs of the car?

Vick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom