W212 E63 Front brake pad DIY change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bigger brakes need bigger wheels. Somewhere a compromise has to be made.
I know, wheels, tires, discs and pads. All of them, require to be changed for stopping power.
I have come across a new company, which promises the best stopping power and commercial grade life. But the rating is missing, and so is the data sheet.
Check it out:

Last edited:
Bigger brakes need bigger wheels. Somewhere a compromise has to be made.
My comment disappeared. I'll rewrite it again, I lost my train of thought.
I know what I have to do traditionally, fit large diameter slotted and drilled brake rotors, add accompanying pads (which will again be FF/HF, doesn't help much), swap with 19 inch wheels, and matching tires.
Another option is 10,000 GBP Carbon ceramic rotors, and its compatible pads, and the bigger wheels plus tires.
Nevermind, my comment is back online, right above this one.

If you're looking specifically at the W212 E63 brakes, then they will fit under some 18" wheels. They were an option in certain markets for poor road surfaces and/or winter use. The real benefit with ceramic brakes is heat management - i.e. being able to perform under duress repeatedly. I don't believe in singular instances they perform noticeably better than the "normal" setup.

Some of the marketing statements on the NRS page are hilarious. If your pads are delaminating from the backing plate, noise is the absolute least of your worries!! What do they mean by "steel that outlasts the friction"? Are they genuinely claming that the pads are made from galvanised steel? Because that would be questionable as a braking material - metal on metal. On the basis of their really very poor marketing material, I'm not sure I'd want them anywhere near my car.

Last edited:
If you're looking specifically at the W212 E63 brakes, then they will fit under some 18" wheels. They were an option in certain markets for poor road surfaces and/or winter use.

Some of the marketing statements on the NRS page are hilarious. If your pads are delaminating from the backing plate, noise is the absolute least of your worries!! What do they mean by "steel that outlasts the friction"? Are they genuinely claming that the pads are made from galvanised steel? Because that would be questionable as a braking material - metal on metal. On the basis of their really very poor marketing material, I'm not sure I'd want them anywhere near my car.
I've emailed them for a product test sheet, I'll see what the lab results indicate. The braking material from the pictures looks like ceramic but with a darker dye (mere speculation). As far as the car goes its a 173 KW S320 CDIL. Heavenly underpowered, but I still want to stop quicker.

I've used steel pads on an old sedan ages ago. That was the ultimate stopping power, the wheels would lock and tires would slide with a loud, yet satisfying squeal.

Last edited:
I've used steel pads on an old sedan ages ago. That was the ultimate stopping power, the wheels would lock and tires would slide with a loud, yet satisfying squeal.
Are you sure you don't mean sintered pads? Steel on steel is not great for braking - that's effectively what happens when the pads run too low and start using the backplate instead.

You still can't stop quicker than the tyres and road surface allow.
If you want to stop quickly repeatedly that's different..
I comprehend. I have always had FF rated Textar OEM. Brembo OE is offering HF rating, I tried them, they are soft. I tried HF rated pads from Myle, they were better. Textar is always the best for this. I don't get much inventory here, so I have to import or go OEM. I'm not getting Carbon Ceramic rotors, pads, upsizing wheels and pairing with new tires, nor do I want to get sporty drilled & slotted metallic rotors with pads, again upsized wheels and tires. I want to slap on better GG rated pads and go to sleep. If they fail the driving experience in any way, I'll switch back to OEM again, and never think about this unless there is a better pad available in the market.

Sintered pads are amazing, I just learnt. HH rated, but very harsh on the rotors, which they eat up a few mm per race. What I referred to are Metallic, AKA Semi-metallic, which they claim are 65% or more metal and rest is organic/carbon proprietary matter, regardless they were great.

Last edited:

But why you need more than standard on the road is beyond me as mentioned many times brakes dont stop you the interface between tyre and road does, my Estate fully loaded can stop plenty fast enough, probably faster than most road cars as the Airmatic units react positivly to severe brake and swerving incidents.
Dont use the Yellow or Blue on the road they need to be hot to work....you will not stop in time! The red or green are great, look at the discs as well ot cheap but superb I have them on my Civic track car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom