W212 E63 not turning over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
First problem with the E63.
Started fine this morning and did a couple of errands. The car was started 4 times in total without a problem.
Just went to pop out again and the ignition lights turn on, but the engine won't turn over at all. Not even slowly.
Put the multimeter on the batteries and the main battery is reading 12.0v and the aux battery 13.3v
I have the main battery on charge with a 6amp charger and will see what happens in an hour.
Normally, just connecting the charger (on my previous E55) and there was enough power to turn the engine over. Not this time.

Any thoughts? Its so tight inside the engine bay I'm going to be lucky to even see the alternator and starter motor to check the connections.

I have MB FSH. Does that qualify a Mobilo visit?

Is the engine still hot/warm? Could it be the CPS?

Regarding Mobilo, always worth a phone call, they'll check qualification?

Put the multimeter on the batteries and the main battery is reading 12.0v and the aux battery 13.3v
What does the voltage drop to while you attempt to start it, Roger?

What does the voltage drop to while you attempt to start it, Roger?

I don't know Phil. I can't see the multimeter whilst I'm in the car and I'm home alone today. No wife to turn the key.
I just tried to start it again and got a click from the starter motor. Its the original battery so I'm thinking its had it.

Is the engine still hot/warm? Could it be the CPS?

Regarding Mobilo, always worth a phone call, they'll check qualification?

Engine is still very warm Peter. But it usually turns over with a CPS in my previous experience?
I do have RAC breakdown and they do visit at home.

Yes you do qualify for a visit :thumb: The RAC will most probably turn up :rolleyes:

Yes you should have Mobilo if it has up to date MB history. I’d call them instead of your regular RAC number as you have additional benefits from Mobilo.

RAC due in 30 mins.

Yes you should have Mobilo if it has up to date MB history. I’d call them instead of your regular RAC number as you have additional benefits from Mobilo.

Ooops..too late🙁

Some possible causes:

- Faulty Crankshaft/Camshaft Position Sensor
- Immobiliser fault (should show on dash though)
- EIS switch fault
- Inhibitor switch fault (car thinks that the transmission is not in Park)
- Solenoid fault (on starter motor)
ECU fault

Solved.
Mobilo turned up as RAC are busy. Got a really experienced guy who checked everything including replacing the starter relay battery condition etc. He used a wire to bypass the relay and the car started.
I then thought to mention I had an aftermarket immobiliser fitted, so with the ignition on I went through the procedure to release the immobiliser and it started on the key as it should.
Battery tested under load and its just a bit flat (not surprising) so its going on the Ctek later.

So the immobiliser wasn't releasing the starter motor for some reason. Now I know, I can overcome that, and its a relief to know all is well with the car.

Top marks to Mobilo too. Well worth keeping.

That's what I did to find out my non-start issue with my car a while ago.

Jumped the starter relay and the car fired up straight away, however, my car started to creep forwards (luckily the 2 post lift arm was choking one of the tyres).

It turned out the gear selector was detached from the gearbox, so the gearbox was not in 'P' to enable a normal starting process, simple fix luckily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom