W212 eclass braided brake hose kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kendog91

Car
W212 E220 CDI AMG SPORT
I am replacing the old flexi brake lines for braided, I have just had the rims and calipers painted so makes sense to do this before the wheels go back on. Is there any tips or tricks or just swap and bleed the lines?

On the front wheels, make sure that the new hoses remain away from the rest of the car as the wheels are turned lock-lock. I was told that it was an MoT fail.
I cover the braided hoses in clear spiral wrap - gives a little more abrasion resistance, easier to clean and stops road dirt working it's way into the braiding.
They've passed the last 12 MoTs without comment.
Ian.

On the front wheels, make sure that the new hoses remain away from the rest of the car as the wheels are turned lock-lock. I was told that it was an MoT fail.
I cover the braided hoses in clear spiral wrap - gives a little more abrasion resistance, easier to clean and stops road dirt working it's way into the braiding.
They've passed the last 12 MoTs without comment.
Ian.
Cheers Ian, these come with the rubber grommet to secure onto the hub I assume to stop rubbing when turning. I'll make sure to double check when fitting. Thank you for the advice 🙂

Make sure you inform your insurance company.

It may sound daft, but they all view fitting braided hoses as a "modification". Whether it will affect your premium will depend upon the insurer and - extraordinarily - a few will actually refuse cover (ISTR Direct Line was guilty of this).

You can also buy quality e.g. Goodrich braided hoses with, as well as the normal clear sheath over the nice shiny metal braiding, a variety of colour plastic sheaths. The one of most interest here is black, so that the hoses look a lot like standard brake lines should anyone fitting them be into gambling about whether an insurer will pay out in the event of an accident if you haven't notified them about said 'modification'.

Thanks for the input guys.

You can also buy quality e.g. Goodrich braided hoses with, as well as the normal clear sheath over the nice shiny metal braiding, a variety of colour plastic sheaths. The one of most interest here is black, so that the hoses look a lot like standard brake lines should anyone fitting them be into gambling about whether an insurer will pay out in the event of an accident if you haven't notified them about said 'modification'.
Good job you've said that, I was going with orange to match the calipers, think I'll change my choice 🤣.

Make sure you inform your insurance company.

It may sound daft, but they all view fitting braided hoses as a "modification". Whether it will affect your premium will depend upon the insurer and - extraordinarily - a few will actually refuse cover (ISTR Direct Line was guilty of this).
Yup, Direct Line refused to cover my C270cdi if I fitted braided hoses..

should anyone fitting them be into gambling about whether an insurer will pay out in the event of an accident if you haven't notified them about said 'modification'.
While everyone is free to make their own choice in these matters, I suspect that most are blissfully unaware of the potential consequences of an insurer voiding a policy on the basis of an undeclared modification.

To put it in black and white, if you are involved in an at fault damage or injury accident involving a third party (which could be a passenger in your car) and your insurer voids your policy, they are bound by law to compensate the third party and so will pay out to them. They will then sue you personally to recover any costs they've incurred, which includes any settlement they have paid to the third party. You will also be charged with driving without insurance which, if personal injury compensation is involved will likely be the least of your problems going forward.

As I say, everyone is free to make their own choice in these matters, but that choice is best made with eyes wide open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom