W212 Facelift E250 Transmission issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshape

Car
2013 E250 CDI
Hey All
hope you can help. I have bought a used E250 CDI about 3 months ago (2014 MY) from a Mercedes main dealer and have the Mercedes approved used car warranty. Just before i purchased it it had had a B service including the tranny oil change. After driving for about 2 months i noticed the gearbox acting weird. when starting off it was holding 1st and 2nd longer than it should, sometimes up to 4500RPM before changing (with a light foot). I brought the car to the dealer and they were able to recreate the issue once or twice. They carried out a relearn cycle on the gearbox and told me to expect some rough changes for the first 500km or so.
1000km later the car is acting weirder. the issue with it holding revs in 1st and second is no longer as pronounced but now i am experiencing lumpy (thumping) downshifts from 5-4 and sometimes 4-3 , sometimes the car will lurch forward as a result if i am coming to a stop in traffic. this does not happen all of the time and can be quite intermittent. Its in the garage now and they are giving the usual "no errors in the gearbox, we will keep it overnight and drive it" line. i have seen sporadic posts in US and UK forums about his but no consistency in the answers. Is this something i should push with the dealer? Its certainly not comfortable to drive anymore as i am expecting and bracing for the thumps. i get the feeling they will try send it back to me with a "no fault found, works on my computer" diagnosis

All help appriciated

It clearly has a fault, whether or not it is showing faults on Star, I would tell them you do not want it back until it is fixed and drives normally. Suspect the unit containing electronic control plate / gearbox valve body
is defective. Am sure other more expert forum members will give the correct diagnosis!

It clearly has a fault, whether or not it is showing faults on Star, I would tell them you do not want it back until it is fixed and drives normally. Suspect the unit containing electronic control plate / gearbox valve body
is defective. Am sure other more expert forum members will give the correct diagnosis!
Thanks, I'm really hoping someone can give me something to suggest / ask the dealer about, i just feel like they will keep fobbing me off, the car was beautiful to drive for the first few weeks and i am heartbroken now

Mine 'holds' the gears when its cold this is to warm both the engine and gearbox oil's. You may also notice that when its doing a regen of the DPF it hold the gears also and its very lumpy when changing down whist its doing it. Does your only do it when cold or warm or at anytime ???

While my 2011 350cdi motor is in an ML not a C class , other than a rather harder downchange 3 to 2 nd when cold and holding revs by an extra 200max after a very cold start it is totally smooth and never ' thumps when changing down once warm. Never noticed DPF regeneration other than an occasional faster idle , never sure if it is the DPF regen or just the aircon cutting in. Also if the OP's car ran smoothly for 2 months then there is no reason why it should not do so now

Mine 'holds' the gears when its cold this is to warm both the engine and gearbox oil's. You may also notice that when its doing a regen of the DPF it hold the gears also and its very lumpy when changing down whist its doing it. Does your only do it when cold or warm or at anytime ???
It happens anytime, and too often to be DPF regen, this thumping in downshifts is brand new since the adaption reset

Hey Guys, any suggestions at all, the garage will be calling soon and i want to be pre armed if they give me the "no fault found" speel

Hey Guys, any suggestions at all, the garage will be calling soon and i want to be pre armed if they give me the "no fault found" speel
Tell them to keep it until they find the fault, they are the experts. You have given them the symptoms it's up to them to find the fault and cure it by driving it in the under the same conditions when the fault occurs.

Tell them to keep it until they find the fault, they are the experts. You have given them the symptoms it's up to them to find the fault and cure it by driving it in the under the same conditions when the fault occurs.

That's exactly what I would say, it's under warranty!

That's exactly what I would say, it's under warranty!

Makes it much easier to say that if they've given you a loan car though, are you still mobile OP?

Hey All, So, the update it, the mechanic while driving was able to recreate the fault, Looks like the tranny is coming out for inspection and possibly a TCU / Valve (?) replacement, up to 7 days in dealership!, I am happy they didn't fob me off and are taking it seriously

They said they will do the valve body first and not the TCU unless valve body does not work

Must be walking it over from Germany?
amazing how you can get something shipped from Japan/China in 3-4 days: but it takes forever for something else from UK/EU!!!

Must be walking it over from Germany?
amazing how you can get something shipped from Japan/China in 3-4 days: but it takes forever for something else from UK/EU!!!
Yeah I’m starting to get a little worried they are buying a reconditioned one or something from eBay

Ask them to update the software on both the TCU and ESM when they are done with the repair....

Hey everyone, car is back, valve body and TCU replaced, drove ok for 3 days and now gearbox is jerky again. Before I go back to the dealer, is there any thing else this could be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom