W212 facelift things to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
The W212 E63 facelift is going to be my next car. Is there anything I really need to be aware of?

I plan on tuning it, is the bent rod issue actually as big an issue as the internet makes it out to be?

I know that MSL cap at 660bhp, but I thought it was torque and not power that caused issues with the rods? I know a few owners here have ran aftermarket turbos on standard internals with more torque, what is secret? Moving the torque up the rev range?

Thanks.

PS, let's not turn this into an M156 vs M157 thread. I aren't looking to buy a car with the 6.2 in it so I don't need to know how much "better" it is.

🙄

Is there a W212 157 in the country that's not been modified 🙄 🤣.

What happened to the days of leave an engine be. And be content with what's on offer.

" Who's got the fastest modified car in play ground"

Is there anything I really need to be aware of?
They're pretty reliable on the whole, but as well as paying attention to the condition of the brakes, tyres, etc. and ensuring that everything works:
  • The M157 engine is a bit clattery so don't be put off by general noise from the motor unless there's something that really stands out like a heavy knock or timing chain thrash on start-up after the car has stood for several hours
  • If there's any hint of an engine misfire, run away. Fast!
  • The Pano Roof mounts can work loose leading to a loud "crack" noise if you apply a twisting load to the bodyshell, for example by putting one wheel over a speed cushion. It's a labour-intensive job to drop the headliner, so can be costly to fix
  • After the car has stood, in the first mile or so you will hear the rear air suspension pump running. If it runs for longer than that, or the car has sunk low at the rear while standing, chances are there's a leak
  • At low speed, as you apply light throttle - for example after making a left turn - there can be light vibration from the transmission clutch pack. Some don't do it, many do. Unless it's really pronounced, its nothing to worry about
Have fun!

^ Phil has covered everything I could think of.
The facelift should have the revised timing chain so that issue should be covered.
I would only emphasise checking the condition of the discs and pads, especially the fronts. You are looking at around £800 DIY disc and pad change.
Acid at MSL will check the engine over before applying any remap. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Good luck with your search :thumb:

Take no notice of Poster#4.
A wind up merchant is being kind.

Everything the 2 old farts have said above. We had ours from new to 40 k miles. Faultless mechanically, no tuning done though.

I know that MSL cap at 660bhp, but I thought it was torque and not power that caused issues with the rods?
Pretty sure when I was at MSL with my E63, Acid mentioned that it was the piston rings that was the main reason he didn't tune much higher.

Is there a W212 157 in the country that's not been modified 🙄 🤣.

What happened to the days of leave an engine be. And be content with what's on offer.

" Who's got the fastest modified car in play ground"
Don't want to throw the thread off course, but just to say..... tuning potential is very high in my list of criteria when I buy a car. So everyone's different!

I'll say one last piece on this thread.

Tune that 157 all you won't. Tune the hole out of it! " Most do " why, I dont know. Maybe they want to stress it out to see what is possible 💥

But it will never ever ever sound as good as a 156 🥱🥳 saying that, does anything sound as good as a M156.

How many of these tuned road cars actually hit the track to where these mods can actually make a difference if any. With regards to LSD and other interfering aids a road car has installed. I could understand it It were an active track car. With interior stripped out and so on to lighten the car. But for a road car. Isn't the 157 and alike more than fast enough.

All comes back to the, " who's got the fastest little car in the little boys play ground"

Meant to add, I'm going to do a poster #8 and throw my toys out my armchair and say, I'm out of here guy's, I can't take anymore of this petulance 🤣🤣

Was it ever thus? Aufrect and Melcher would never have got going if that were the case ;)

But they know the limits. Unlike some "you know who you are "

P.s I'm going to do a #8 poster now. I'm off. Can't take anymore of this dribble 😂

Meant poster #6, slip of the finger 😂

Clearly you think you're the purveyor of hilarious banter. The reality is in a room full of people, you've walked up to someone you don't really know, and berated them for something they don't really care about because it's not what you would do.

Under the circumstances, they'd probably think you were a sanctimonious pr*ck, and not unreasonably so.

Clearly you think you're the purveyor of hilarious banter. The reality is in a room full of people, you've walked up to someone you don't really know, and berated them for something they don't really care about because it's not what you would do.

Under the circumstances, they'd probably think you were a sanctimonious pr*ck, and not unreasonably so.

The reality is, nobody has given the OP an definitive answer to the question's he raised.

All well and good stating the obvious issues to cover that might show its head. But he was after more info on the tuning side.

I would recommend he spoke to someone more in the know, and that does it on a regular basis.

I'm still of the opinion that a car already stupid fast, that unless you intend on tracking it regularly it's a waste of money adding extra power for road use.

2p worth and out.

Over to banter poster #6 😉

I'm still of the opinion that a car already stupid fast, that unless you intend on tracking it regularly it's a waste of money adding extra power for road use.
Some people would say your standard E63 is too powerful to ever use on the road and a waste of money! So why are your power thresholds for what's appropriate for road use the gold standard? 😋

I think tuning the M157 is exceptionally good value for money and a no brainer. No matter what you think, you CAN use the power on the road. I do. It's also the way it drives that changes, with incredible mid range torque. Peak power figures are not always what tuning is about.

And as for the LSD, again your just wrong I'm afraid! You definitely notice it in road use, particularly in the wet when it makes a HUGE difference. And even more so with a tune. You can deny this all you want, but you can feel it working. Perhaps you don't use the performance available in your car, but if you do I'd recommend an LSD.

To the OPs questions: I'm not even sure the Internet does make the bent rod issue to be THAT bad? I'm not that knowledgeable on the engine, but from much searching there don't appear many cases at all.

I guess the bigger turbos will spool higher up the rev range, producing torque higher, yes.

I still intend to go stage 2 at some point, but it's difficult to get categorical answers to your questions even from tuners I think! Why offer stage 2/3 if you're already capping stage 1? I suppose it's just increased risk that the customer has to be happy taking, like with any tuning.

That's my point I would have thought an LSD would be priority first and foremost. Before any map or tune.

Where can you use a cars potential in regards to power/torque within today's speed limits. The E320 CDI I use is to powerful for most driving situations.

Hey ho, your car, happy tuning!!

Where can you use a cars potential in regards to power/torque within today's speed limits.
A roads, B roads, motorways. Especially 40-70mph overtakes.

I drive a 1.6L C180.... so can't advise on anything from the things you asked about.....

But just to say, that if the tech is relevant to you, then be aware that as of MY2016 (the last year of production for the facelift W212), COMAND NTG5*1 replaced COMAND Online NTG4.5/4.7.

The NTG5*1 is the more modern unit, but crucially it has native support (with an update) for Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, if that's important to you.

The NTG4.5 system can only support Apple CarPlay / Android Auto via the installation of a more-expensive third party kit.

And, if buying from a dealer, I would also recommend that you request the following:

- COMAND maps update to the latest version

- COMAND firmware update to latest version

And, the car will also have the TomTom Live Traffic service, delivered via a built-in in 3g simcard, though it's subscription-based and will need to be purchased via the Mercedes me portal (after the car is registered).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom