W212 facelift things to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What, at midnight and beyond 👏. And driving like an idiot!
No, why after midnight? Accelerating quickly isn't against the law, doesn't have to be dangerous and doesn't equate to driving like an idiot.

Are you driving like an idiot if you use all the power available in your car? Why is OK for you to do, but not someone with more hp? And if you you don't use all the power available, why do you have such a powerful car; that would be a waste of money surely?!

No, why after midnight? Accelerating quickly isn't against the law, doesn't have to be dangerous and doesn't equate to driving like an idiot.

Are you driving like an idiot if you use all the power available in your car? Why is OK for you to do, but not someone with more hp? And if you you don't use all the power available, why do you have such a powerful car; that would be a waste of money surely?!

Using the car's (any car) maximum performance (within the law) is simply having fun without really aiding the purpose of making safe progress from A to B (unless you are delivering your nine-months-pregnant spouse to hospital, or unless the car is a Skoda Rapid). It also inevitably reduces the safety margins available at your's and other road users' disposal. But, then, the same can be said for very many other human activities. Personally, I am not opposed to people having a bit of fun (within the law), but I would prefer if they acknowledge what it is that they are doing. Not aimed at anyone personally, but we've had more than one person on here say that they need an AMG because it's a 'safer' car that allows them to 'accelerate away from trouble'. Well, my view on accelerating for safety can be summed-up by the old saying: "Fighting for peace is like scr**ing for chastity".

Using the car's (any car) maximum performance (within the law) is simply having fun without really aiding the purpose of making safe progress from A to B (unless you are delivering your nine-months-pregnant spouse to hospital). It also inevitably reduces the safety margins available at your's and other road users' disposal. But, then, the same can be said for very many other human activities. Personally, I am not opposed to people having a bit of fun (within the law), but I would prefer if they acknowledge what it is that they are doing. Not aimed at anyone personally, but we've had more than one person on here say that they need an AMG because it's a 'safer' car that allows them to 'accelerate away from trouble'. Well, my view on accelerating for safety can be summed-up by the old saying: "Fighting for peace is like scr**ing for chastity".
Agree, all fair points. It's all about relative risk, and calculated risk. If you were that risk averse, you probably wouldn't drive a car at all.

I would argue that more power does allow for safer overtaking, as you're on the wrong side of the road for less time. I realise this is no comparison, but the number of people I see making dodgy overtakes because they get impatient, overtake and then can't get past the car they're overtaking and end up facing oncoming traffic, is astonishing.

Just to be clear, I don't drive around like a maniac! I think I drive pretty safely and don't ever want to put other road users in danger.

Anyway, sorry OP, I'll stop de-railing!

Agree, all fair points. It's all about relative risk, and calculated risk. If you were that risk averse, you probably wouldn't drive a car at all.

I would argue that more power does allow for safer overtaking, as you're on the wrong side of the road for less time. I realise this is no comparison, but the number of people I see making dodgy overtakes because they get impatient, overtake and then can't get past the car they're overtaking and end up facing oncoming traffic, is astonishing.

Just to be clear, I don't drive around like a maniac! I think I drive pretty safely and don't ever want to put other road users in danger.

Anyway, sorry OP, I'll stop de-railing!

[DERAILING MODE CONTINUES]

Hand on heart... you can overtake safely with an AMG, with an artic, and with a John Deere tractor - it all depends on the circumstances. In other words, with a powerful car there are more situations where you can overtake safely than with other lesser cars. The obvious safe alternative for drivers of less-poweful cars is simply not to overtake until it's safe to do so.

I would put this way: when I was in my twenties, I drove like a Hurricane pilot in the Battle of Britain. In my later years, I changed my driving habits and I now drive as if I was flying a C-17 Globemaster on a relief mission delivering aid to Haiti... slow, steady and safe progress with good observation and anticipation at all times. Both are highly rewarding - in different ways, obviously.

[/DERAILING MODE ENDS]

Just ignore him; eventually he gives up and the whining stops.

Back to the OP's question. The cause of bent rod(s) is misfires. I know; I had both, on a 2012 car with just under 90k up. It cost me £11K for the rebuild...

The higher the power output (I had the 550 bhp variant) , the greater the risk, but the fault is not common. The cause of the misfire was an intermittent fault with the intercooler coolant pump; I've just bought another 550 bhp M157, and I will be getting the pump in question replaced quite soon, just in case...

As already said, any sign of a misfire, walk away. The engine is rattly mostly because of the secondary fuel injectors, which clatter just like a diesel, but more lightly and not nearly as loudly.

Tune the hole of them 157's for all I care. I'm just making opinion that the stock power is plentiful enough.

Poster#25, any plans for mapping your new bus?

No fear. Once bitten...

Stock power of 550 bhp is indeed plentiful enough.

I'll say one last piece on this thread.

Meant to add, I'm going to do a poster #8 and throw my toys out my armchair and say, I'm out of here guy's, I can't take anymore of this petulance 🤣🤣
P.s I'm going to do a #8 poster now. I'm off. Can't take anymore of this dribble 😂
2p worth and out.

Over to banter poster #6 😉
Three times you've said you're out of the discussion, yet still you persist in posting unhelpful replies in a thread that didn't interest you in the first place.

Why, nothing better to do with your time...? :wallbash:

Three times you've said you're out of the discussion, yet still you persist in posting unhelpful replies in a thread that didn't interest you in the first place.

Why, nothing better to do with your time...? :wallbash:

You didn't pick up on fact, I was mimicking poster#6 as he regularly puts himself out of threads, and like I have done joins in again. You are derayling the thread #28. Wake up, and don't be worrying about me 😉😘

No fear. Once bitten...

Stock power of 550 bhp is indeed plentiful enough.

Fair play 👍

Thanks to everyone who offered sensible input.

Re how I want to use any car that I may or may not buy, well, that's up to me.

An LSD would be the first thing being fitted if the car didn't already have one. Having owned an E55 without an LSD it is a must. 3 of my last 4 cars have had an LSD and it showed in the E55 not having one.

There is nothing wrong with tuning a car. Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for everyone. People have free choice with what to do with their car.

The beauty with opinions is that we all have them. Some are right, some are wrong. Re the M156 sounding better than the M157, that is an opinion. I like the sound of both, but the M157 better suits what I want from a car. Besides, I don't want to have to strip the engine down to sort the issues that badgx is dealing with on his M156.

Now, I don't know many of you from Adam, so for all the idiots who couldn't read that I didn't want to hear about the M156...

Go away.

What kind of age/ mileage range are you looking at out of interest?

2013 onwards, below 80k
Should be plenty of options then... unless you have rare colour/extras requirements!

I don't have the only two options I wanted (reversing camera and dynamic seats) as I didn't have the patience to wait for one. And a good deal came along. But I don't regret it, it's a very well specced car and I don't care too much for tech. So, I don't think you can go too far wrong (assuming good condition and service history obviously).

Should be plenty of options then... unless you have rare colour/extras requirements!
Even then it seems the market has you covered currently. There's a hyacinth red example of both saloon and estate currently advertised.

They probably just google it and get this link without being aware that it was just a normal option for the E63.

Thanks to everyone who offered sensible input.

Re how I want to use any car that I may or may not buy, well, that's up to me.

An LSD would be the first thing being fitted if the car didn't already have one. Having owned an E55 without an LSD it is a must. 3 of my last 4 cars have had an LSD and it showed in the E55 not having one.

There is nothing wrong with tuning a car. Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for everyone. People have free choice with what to do with their car.

The beauty with opinions is that we all have them. Some are right, some are wrong. Re the M156 sounding better than the M157, that is an opinion. I like the sound of both, but the M157 better suits what I want from a car. Besides, I don't want to have to strip the engine down to sort the issues that badgx is dealing with on his M156.

Now, I don't know many of you from Adam, so for all the idiots who couldn't read that I didn't want to hear about the M156...

Go away.

The 157 isn't bullet proof matey, especially when tuning!

Badgx, is doing the precaution actions to he's vehicle. Not replacing failed components. Which can also be said for the 157. The M156 is a masterpiece, and deserves all the plaudits it receives 😁

As said earlier in the thread also. Will you find a stock car that suits your criteria with majority of them having some sort of a stage put on them. I suppose you wouldn't have to bother tuning a car that's already tuned 🤓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom