W212 facelift things to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is fit for purpose to stop me automatically going into seventh gear. Unnecessarily revving the engine at 70mph in sixth gear. That's a great idea. Prey tell anymore idea's. Please send them to I don't care anymore.com

The M156 is a masterpiece, and deserves all the plaudits it receives 😁
TBH, mostly from two or three members on here these days. It's history now; the world has moved on, as have most Mercedes owners. It's cheap bang for buck now, not cutting edge.

^ Phil has covered everything I could think of.
The facelift should have the revised timing chain so that issue should be covered.
I would only emphasise checking the condition of the discs and pads, especially the fronts. You are looking at around £800 DIY disc and pad change.
Acid at MSL will check the engine over before applying any remap. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Good luck with your search :thumb:

Take no notice of Poster#4.
A wind up merchant is being kind.
AMGeed, slightly off topic maybe. You mention the facelift model haveing a revised timing chain....does this apply to the OM651 engine as well?

AMGeed, slightly off topic maybe. You mention the facelift model haveing a revised timing chain....does this apply to the OM651 engine as well?

Sorry, I really don't know anything about the timing chain fitted to the OM651
If its viewable through the oil filler cap like the M157, there is a distinct difference between the updated chain and the older one.
Google photos show which is which.

TBH, mostly from two or three members on here these days. It's history now; the world has moved on, as have most Mercedes owners. It's cheap bang for buck now, not cutting edge.

But still holding its own, in many ways.

Same can be said for the not so bullet proof 157. The thing with history it remembers great achievements/facts, and the M156 will "always" be part of history.

As usual, you've added nothing useful to a thread which has nothing to do with your favourite - indeed, almost your only - subject.

We all know you like the M156; it's a nice old thing, but face it, it's (relatively) cheap bang for buck now. The thing with history is also that the world moves on. Perhaps one day you will too, and stop banging on about the past?

(Note to self: Don't bother any more, leave chain unrattled in future...)

Last edited:
I had 4 separate coil pack failures within 12 months on a std engine. After the first one out of warranty I bought an extended Merc warranty. All on different cylinders, at the 4th one I asked Merc did it not make sense to replace the last 4...apparently it didn't..

I had 4 separate coil pack failures within 12 months on a std engine. After the first one out of warranty I bought an extended Merc warranty. All on different cylinders, at the 4th one I asked Merc did it not make sense to replace the last 4...apparently it didn't..

It might make sense to you as an owner, but from MB's perspective the other coil packs might only fail after your warranty has expired, so why would they agree to incur the cost in advance, etc.

It might make sense to you as an owner, but from MB's perspective the other coil packs might only fail after your warranty has expired, so why would they agree to incur the cost in advance, etc.
Indeed monetary wise but how many people read forums and wonder.......

The OP has had a change of heart he's on the M156 Vs non bullet proof M157 thread.

He's reading all the positive information that thread has to offer on the mighty M156. 😁

What way will he swing I wonder. Or will he stay with the dark side altogether............

Last edited:
The OP has had a change of heart he's on the M156 Vs non bullet proof M157 thread.

He's reading all the positive information that thread has to offer on the mighty M156. 😁

What way will he swing I wonder. Or will he stay with the dark side altogether............

You're a strange man lol. Very much an ultracrepidarian with a misologist tendancy. All this over an engine lol. I'd feel sorry for your wife if you had one.

look out for white /blue smoke, they do tend to burn oil a bit, but some more than others , a lot of cases of ring s weeping and damaging the bores.

other than that make sure everything works!

Sorry, I really don't know anything about the timing chain fitted to the OM651
If its viewable through the oil filler cap like the M157, there is a distinct difference between the updated chain and the older one.
Google photos show which is which.
Does anyone know if this was changed on Service for pre-facelift or did Mercedes ignore it for the early models and just change it later?

The W212 E63 facelift is going to be my next car. Is there anything I really need to be aware of?

I plan on tuning it, is the bent rod issue actually as big an issue as the internet makes it out to be?

I know that MSL cap at 660bhp, but I thought it was torque and not power that caused issues with the rods? I know a few owners here have ran aftermarket turbos on standard internals with more torque, what is secret? Moving the torque up the rev range?

Thanks.

PS, let's not turn this into an M156 vs M157 thread. I aren't looking to buy a car with the 6.2 in it so I don't need to know how much "better" it is.
To be honest I don’t think it really matters where in the rev range the power is.

I think it’s just one of them things if your a more aggressive driver then with 660bhp you will be safe, if your a more gentle AMG driver then you can probably get away with running more power

Don’t quote me on that 😂

I’m sure there’s a few people here running MSL old map that can help !

Is there a W212 157 in the country that's not been modified 🙄 🤣.

What happened to the days of leave an engine be. And be content with what's on offer.

" Who's got the fastest modified car in play ground"
Haha there is a few my mate has one. Plenty of power in standard form but a remap is tempting completely changes the car on full throttle. Plus it’s the best money for power mod you can do

Does anyone know if this was changed on Service for pre-facelift or did Mercedes ignore it for the early models and just change it later?
From memory, there were two separate changes. The first was to the oil check valves (to stop oil draining down when the engine was stopped) and the cam chain guides; the second was a change to the cam chain itself (and associated guides).

Many early M157 engines didn't exhibit the timing chain thrash on startup that the updated oil check valves prevent, so no action was taken as none was necessary. Of those that did suffer the issue, many were fitted with updated components during their early life under warranty.

There's a good thread on this over on the MBWorld forum, here.

Thanks m8. I'll look into my service history if there is anything about it in the early years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom