W212 Glove box light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chyperie

Car
Mercedes E350
The glove box lamp has stopped working, I've checked the bulb and fuse are OK (and tried it with headlights on engine running). I assume it must be the switch or loose wire to/from switch but can't see it, is it part of the glove box lid catch? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I think I've tried that but I'll go and check in a bit!

Any luck getting it sorted? My Glove box light only illuminates when the lid is half open and then goes off again when fully open. The fault is obviously at the actuating switch but I just can't see how you can access it.

Hi Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been out of the country. Quick answer is No. I think I'll need to take out the glove box to get at the wiring!

Any luck getting it sorted? My Glove box light only illuminates when the lid is half open and then goes off again when fully open. The fault is obviously at the actuating switch but I just can't see how you can access it.

Same here! Did you find anything out yet?

I seem to have this issue too.....

Ok here we go, I have fixed this, it will be a common problem as it's a design fault. There is a Microswitch on the left hand side outside the glovebox assembly and it moves through 6" of travel as the glovebox is opened. The wire has to bend each time and mine had broken at the crimps due to fatigue. The fix goes as follows... Remove side panel near door and panel under glovebox. Remove trim panel above glovebox, undo 3 Torx screws along top of glovebox and one bottom left corner. Drop glovebox and you will see Microswitch and broken wires. Remove plug from Microswitch, carefully remove crimps, solder 5" of wire to crimps and reinsert into housing. Join wires and reassemble. I have taken a full set of photos for this procedure but don't know how to upload since photobucket stopped. Can email them if somebody wants to upload...

Ok here we go, I have fixed this, it will be a common problem as it's a design fault. There is a Microswitch on the left hand side outside the glovebox assembly and it moves through 6" of travel as the glovebox is opened. The wire has to bend each time and mine had broken at the crimps due to fatigue. The fix goes as follows... Remove side panel near door and panel under glovebox. Remove trim panel above glovebox, undo 3 Torx screws along top of glovebox and one bottom left corner. Drop glovebox and you will see Microswitch and broken wires. Remove plug from Microswitch, carefully remove crimps, solder 5" of wire to crimps and reinsert into housing. Join wires and reassemble. I have taken a full set of photos for this procedure but don't know how to upload since photobucket stopped. Can email them if somebody wants to upload...

That's brilliant, many thanks

This sounds as if it's a job I need to do. Well done for fixing it. I'd really appreciate your set of photos to guide me on my way. It's [email protected]. Cheers

Hi there have got this fault on my 2016 GLA and like the explanation how to fix it. Could you email any photos you have showing how to get at it please.

Update on previous posts. Removed glove box as indicated. Two reusable plugs and six torx screws and out it comes and the fault was easily identified as a break in wiring at the point where the wires went into male end near micro switch. This was impossible to repair but the short wiring harness on back of glove box had a part number. With this short wiring harness in hand I went to local MB dealer and was informed the wiring harness was not available as a stand alone part. I would have to buy a whole new glove box for a retail price of £196........ outraged I wrote to MB customer services and got a polite reply which confirms they cannot supply the item separately and will not consider making design improvements.

I have put out a request to auto breakers without success. Anybody out there got a old damaged glove box with a serviceable wiring harness. Any other suggestions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom