W212 in limp home after 24 hrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

almad77b

Car
W210 E320 CDI Estate (2001)
I just picked up a 60 plate e250 sport from MB yesterday evening, car felt wonderful to drive, until I got into it tonight, when I noticed the orange engine light had come on. I turned off and back on and the light disappeared but I then had a complete lack of power and had to drive home about 20 miles.

I switched off and back on again but still no power even with foot down to the floor.

To say that I'm fuming is an understatement.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

The car will obviously be getting returned to MB tomorrow first thing but I'd like to be armed with possible route cause in case they try to fob me off.

Thank you.

A

There won't be any "fobbing off". There's a fault. They'll fix it. Sleep well...

Thanks for the reply.

I called the salesman first thing this morning and was told the procedure was to call MB roadside assist or I could bring the car in and they'd give me a courtesy car but they couldn't guarantee the workshop could look at it today, which I was far from happy about and I let them know it.

However I did get superb service from MB roadside who were with me in 20 mins after my call. The technician was first class in his manner and knowledge.

It's a DPF fault but he reckons it's actually a poor solder on the wiring loom which connects the sensor to the DPF. The car is now with the dealer, as I was in a hurry the technician took me to car hire garage where I have been given a near brand new e class convertible.

The roadside team have looked after me well and the business manager assures me he will have my car fixed ASAP.

Last edited:
Mobilo Assistance has always been first class in my unfortunately extensive experience and it's good to hear they helped you out so quickly too. Hope you get your car sorted quickly and enjoy the convertible in the meantime. Although it's a shame not to have your own car there's something nice about racking up miles in someone else's car...

Should have given you a 4x4 not a convertible for this time of year :)

So after 4 days I still don't have my car back.

MB are now saying the fault they are receiving is something to do with 'boost', however when they check this, it's all ok so they have put a call into a MB tech department and are awaiting feedback.

A question please, does anyone know what this 'boost' is and is it related to the DPF fault that mobilo showed me on the diag machine?

I'm wondering if I have bought a duffer and if I should use my option to return the car or ask them to find me a new one. Perhaps an over-reaction but I'm getting seriously p1$$ed off.

Thank you.

A.

almad77b said:
So after 4 days I still don't have my car back. MB are now saying the fault they are receiving is something to do with 'boost', however when they check this, it's all ok so they have put a call into a MB tech department and are awaiting feedback. A question please, does anyone know what this 'boost' is and is it related to the DPF fault that mobilo showed me on the diag machine? I'm wondering if I have bought a duffer and if I should use my option to return the car or ask them to find me a new one. Perhaps an over-reaction but I'm getting seriously p1$$ed off. Thank you. A.

Chill enjoy the e class yours will be fixed.

Chill enjoy the e class yours will be fixed.

+1

You bought a car, it's got a fault, the dealer is investigating and will repair. In the meantime you've been given a very nice car to use and abuse.

These cars are complex and I would be encouraged that the dealer is making sure the diagnosis and repair is correct rather than fobbing you off with a quick fix.

On a recent breakdown, MB had my car for 5 days, and hire car company provided me with a Peugeot! as it was all they had. Now that would be cause to be pee'ed off.

It's in everyones interest to the job right, as quickly as possible. If the dealer is keeping you informed and treating you with courtesy, then I would be inclined to treat them the same, let them get on with the job and relax.

Regards, Neil

Thank you both for the reply, it's put a bit of perspective on it for me.

Much appreciated.

A

Im sure they will fix it, no need to get upset over it... Modern cars just have a lot of electronics and they do go wrong im afraid...

I got my car back after exactly 14 days. The whole experience was a shambles and MB agree. In that time they hired the eclass convertible and a brand new e220 se saloon for me, I had both for a week.

I got the car back today with a full tank of fuel and MB are covering my next two services.

I could really have done without the hassle but I'm pleased with their goodwill offer.

Hello,

sorry for bumping this thread but can you elaborate what did they excatly repair in the end? I have the same problem with my w212.

That's good service! I bought my car last month and still waiting for it and my courtesy car is an old Avensis estate

i didn't buy from MB though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom