W212 Keyless-Go engine start button?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beemer2

Car
E250 CDI AMG Sport
My W212 has Keyless Go which suddenly failed. I cannot now open the door or start the car without using the keyfob. I have checked the keyless go fuse, number 46 as I recall, plus all the other fuses in the same boot fusebox.
Today I met a Mercedes Roadside service engineer and told him about the problem. He said that the problem would be that I needed a new Engine Start plug, the one that I have had to remove so as to use the keyfob to start the car. I have never seen any forum post that mentions this plug as a cause of Keyless Go failure. The plug looks a device that has no active internals but I could be wrong. Hope someone can help me?

What you were told makes little sense, because with the Engine Start plug removed keyless entry will still work - so even if you had to use the fob to start the car, you could still unlock it or lock it by touching the door handles.

Have you tried the second fob? If that doesn’t work, you’re going to have to get it on STAR to see if there are any fault codes.

Agreed, the starter button won’t affect the door lock/unlock functions and vice/versa.

Does the car not display any messages when you try the push button start? Even if the keyfob was faulty or had flat batteries etc it should still display a message that the key isn’t recognised/in range etc.

With the push button in place depressing it does not activate anything. Neither fob with new batteries will allow the door to open by touching the handle. Does anyone know if the roof shark fin houses the Keyless Go antenna as well as the radio antenna? This is an E250 W212. AMG Premium

Have you tried the other handle (other side) - they pick up signal from the handles. There are lots of antenna also to know the keys are in the car.

Richard

Richard,
thanks for that new information. I wonder if using my pressure washer could have caused water ingress and a short?
Ian

If that happened (which is possible) Id not expect all handles to stop working.
R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom