W212 Live Supply Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
I'm going to treat my shiny new E-Class to a dash cam, mounted up behind the mirror. I need to find an ignition switched live feed. If I can find a permament live as well (to feed a timer) that would be a major bonus.

The fuse box is in the boot, so that's no use and the only certain source I can think of so far is the 12V power socket in the centre console. But the car is a bit too well put together to be randomly ripping off trim to get access. The only other thought is if there is something up in the roof lining by the interior light controls, where there will also be wiring for the Speed & traffic Light Assist camera(s). So.................

1. Is there any source of power up by the interior light and if so, how do I access it? Pulling lenses to access screws, etc.?
  2. If not, can anyone advise which trim and how to remove, to get to the rear of the 12V centre console supply?
  3. If I have to go all the way to the 12V socket, is there a permanent 12V anywhere near that I can tap into for the timer?
  4. Is there anywhere else you can suggest to tap power from?
Don't worry about power consumption, the dash cam takes 2/10th of stuff all and I'll be using in-line 500mA fuses to protect the car.

Thanks people.

Last edited:
I have a 12V in the glovebox which would at least get you to the A pillar then headlining to hide a cable.

I'm interested in this too. I fitted a Blackvue 18 months ago and 'temporarily' ran the cable under the headlining, down the A pillar and into the glovebox where it is connected using the socket (as D215 suggested). So as a quick fix this works and most people don't know the camera is there, but I'd still like to do a permanent connect and enable the 'parked' mode. So good luck, and if you do sort it, please post back with some pics!

Sadly, no 12V socket in the glovebox. It must have been a cost cutting measure on the facelift.

Any other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom