W212 - Loud metallic screeching sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

Have a W212 E250 with 50k miles, while driving yesterday from the front end I heard a very loud metallic grinding/screeching sound, it went on for 2-3min (was trying to find a place to pull over), just before I pulled over the sound dissapeared, since then i've done 30-50 miles with no issue.

I had opened the bonnet to check the oil for the very first time since I've had the car earlier on in the day, then this happened but I think its just a coincidence..

Any ideas of what to check? been doing some research and it may be that a stone was stuck in the disc brakes which worked itself loose, just slightly paranoid I may have lost some sort of metal shield underneath the car that i'm not aware of.

Thanks

Derek i was just about to tell you about the stone that get in the rear of disc and the back plate but you know about it . I think it will be like , use it as normal , if it shows up again then you will need to do more checking .I have been told about the aircon pump going bad this makes a noise like it .

Ah, thanks for the reply, aircon was turned off (normally have mine set to manual) so its looking more like the stone theory, I'll see how it goes. :)

Almost certainly a trapped stone- very alarming sound. Best and cheapest test for now- wait and see- if it doesn't come back- then you will know that's what it was.

It was very alarming, never had it before, I've searched on youtube and the sound seems to match the stone sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom