W212 NTG 4 to NTG 4.5 Retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gudikcik

Car
W212 E 300 L
Hello again everybody.

I have W212 E250 CDI. It's factory exit year 2010. I was retrofit Comand NTG 4 to it but I buy a new NTG 4.5 Comand Online last month.

I buy a new screen picture cable for NTG 4.5 from local dealer. The part number is : A2074401413. NTG 4 and NTG 4.5 screen cables are different.
I plug in but comand was not operate.
I understand that I have problems with the telematic can cable. The screen takes opening signal from telematic can cable. NTG 4 telematic can cables are at black socket in the big socket. I can not open the screen before changing this cables. I take the telematic CAN HIGH and LOW cables from black plug to white plug. Pin numbers are 6 and 12.
Then i can open the screen.
The AM / FM antenna socket's are same, purple is bluetooh antenna , blue is gps antenna.
NTG 4.5 has got 3 video input. Nightvision , Rear View camera and video aux. I retrofit rear view camera too. The rear view camera socket is the right side of the twin green socket.
I buy a camera from ebay. And i retrofit it. It's not original.

img0424800x600.jpg

I can use the video aux over media interface at the same time with rear view camera. NTG 4.5 is perfect on this.

I buy a USB port from local dealer. Part number is : A1728200515
I buy a W204 NTG 4.5 screen cable for this USB data transfer. I use it. They are same. The part number is : A2044406537. I only convert the head of the socket for operate usb.
I put this USB port to near the media interface socket in the glove box then plug the pink socket to back of the head unit.

img0447800x600.jpg

I update the media interface box software to latest version. The media interface works with NTG 4.5 over the most.

img0434800x600.jpg

When i turn on the ignition , theft protection screen comes. The seller gives the 25 digit theft key to me. I plug the star diagnosis to my car. I enter the theft key with from xentry but i can not do the scn coding.
Because my car has not got 512 code 6 DVD changer at my vin number.
I was using 527 single Comand NTG 4.

I have friend in factory. I contact with him. He add's the 512 to my vin number. When i try to make the SCN coding, i take an error. Then he adds the 088 code for NTG 4.5. I do it. He generate the europe dvd 6 digit serial for me. NTG 4.5 needs password for navigation data too.

System works perfectly. I can enter the comand online system now.

img0431800x600.jpg

img0423800x600.jpg

the instrument cluster can communicate with the comand online head unit. I havent problem on this after instrument cluster software update.

img0444800x600.jpg

I am using Blackberry 9700 with 6.0 operating system. Everything works with this phone. I can read SMS , I take the phonebook instant and i can use comand online.

Here is the some photos after retrofit. If you have questions please write me or visit our turkey mercedes forum Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Forum Club Türkiye. Mercedes severlerin ortak bulu

img0428800x600.jpg

thank you.

It seems you have done the impossible or have a lot of money, or both. I inquired at comand-online and it seemed it would require to change a lot more of the car than you seem to have had to. Well done.

Please update if you experience any other issues.

wilsodg - our worry was the inability to generate PIN codes for the map rather than much of the other stuff - if you can't unlock the map, buying NTG4.5 unit would be a waste of time. Of course, on a W204 its impossible without changing the dashboard, but W207/W212 is same shape between NTG4 and NTG4.5

Option code 088 is used to signify NTG4.5 in the changeover year between NTG4 and NTG4.5, so its nice to know it worked in a MY2010 car (assuming his car was MY2010 not MY2011)

Now all the OP needs to do is to add the full colour instrument cluster !!

(And wilsodg, now we know its possible, I'm sure Alfie will be very happy to do such a conversion)

Richard

Thanks for the offer Richard! I think I'll wait a wee while to see if any more gremlins appear. I'm wondering about warranty and map upgrades and... cost. No doubt you can think of some others. Presumably could sell the NTG4 to offset the cost a bit?

It seems you have done the impossible or have a lot of money, or both. I inquired at comand-online and it seemed it would require to change a lot more of the car than you seem to have had to. Well done.

Please update if you experience any other issues.

thanks for reply.

I haven't lots of money. In turkey all of mercedes vehicles has got factory fitted Audio 20 sound system. Because whe haven't got turkey navigation map. Only qualified mercedes owners knows what is comand system. We use the navigation map with comand over the comand's video aux mode connecting iphone.

My friend request comand system from me like my car.
I found a NTG 4.5 for him. It costs expensive for him. Then i buy NTG 4.5 for me then i give NTG 4 from my car to him.

NTG 4.5 and NTG 4 differences are :
On NTG 4 phonebook , you must download by hand to comand head unit.
ON NTG 4.5 , you dont need to download the phone book. Comand can take instant from cell phone

on NTG 4 = music register can only copy mp3 files from memory card.
On NTG 4.5 = music register can copy mp3 files from usb , memory card and cd or dvd.

On ntg 4 = you can not display sms over bluetooth. You need bluetooth sap module.
On ntg 4.5 = you dont need bluetooth sap module for reading sms.

On ntg 4 = if you connect the rear view camera. you can not use the video aux mode at the same time.
On ntg 4.5 = you can use both of them at the same time.

On ntg 4 = you can not see the fuel consumption on comand screen
On ntg 4.5 = you can see it.

on ntg 4.5 you can find hotels or restaurants over internet and navigate with navigation, on ntg 4 you can not do it.

on ntg 4 = you need to use usb flash drive over media interface, on ntg 4.5 you can connect usb directly without media interface.

gudikcik thanks a lot. I was researching whether or not one could upgrade a 201 Eclass from 4 to 4.5. I just traded up to an Eclass from my C300. And I was highly interested in getting a NTG 4.5 head unit. One question that I have is whether or not the display from the 2010 is compatible with the NTG 4.5 units. Sounds like it may not be and you need the display with the newer head unit? Is that correct?

Another question is - have any of you heard of the refurbishment factory in Germany that Mercedes operates? I heard that they take components from wrecked cars and insure they work and resell them? I heard that the prices are very inexpensive, and I was trying to get some contact info for them. Do you know anyone that might know of them and have their contact info? Thanks

thanks for reply.

I haven't lots of money. In turkey all of mercedes vehicles has got factory fitted Audio 20 sound system. Because whe haven't got turkey navigation map. Only qualified mercedes owners knows what is comand system. We use the navigation map with comand over the comand's video aux mode connecting iphone.

My friend request comand system from me like my car.
I found a NTG 4.5 for him. It costs expensive for him. Then i buy NTG 4.5 for me then i give NTG 4 from my car to him.

NTG 4.5 and NTG 4 differences are :
On NTG 4 phonebook , you must download by hand to comand head unit.
ON NTG 4.5 , you dont need to download the phone book. Comand can take instant from cell phone

on NTG 4 = music register can only copy mp3 files from memory card.
On NTG 4.5 = music register can copy mp3 files from usb , memory card and cd or dvd.

On ntg 4 = you can not display sms over bluetooth. You need bluetooth sap module.
On ntg 4.5 = you dont need bluetooth sap module for reading sms.

On ntg 4 = if you connect the rear view camera. you can not use the video aux mode at the same time.
On ntg 4.5 = you can use both of them at the same time.

On ntg 4 = you can not see the fuel consumption on comand screen
On ntg 4.5 = you can see it.

on ntg 4.5 you can find hotels or restaurants over internet and navigate with navigation, on ntg 4 you can not do it.

on ntg 4 = you need to use usb flash drive over media interface, on ntg 4.5 you can connect usb directly without media interface.

I still can't figure out if mine is NTG 4 or 4.5. How do I know?

I have a PCMCIA slot not the newer SD slot, I don't have Comand Online and I can't seem to read SMS from my iPhone so I thought it might be NTG4.

But from the list above I can get a fuel consumption graph, I can copy MP3s from the DVD drive (but not the USB port) and it did download/access the address book automatically. So it seems like I have a mix of the two!

I have a PCMCIA slot not the newer SD slot, I don't have Comand Online and I can't seem to read SMS from my iPhone so I thought it might be NTG4.

But from the list above I can get a fuel consumption graph, I can copy MP3s from the DVD drive (but not the USB port) and it did download/access the address book automatically. So it seems like I have a mix of the two!

you have NTG 4, you have the PCMCIA slot, the NTG 4.5 has the SD card slot.

Hello I am new to this, I communicate from Argentina, just change a 1.8 C200 Cgi Blueficiency C200 2011 for one city 0km same engine but with other more sensors face forward as stopping the engine to stop running, is the cheapest of class C in this country.
My concern is that this stereo brings a key that says NAV, but when you touch me says it has no interface .. I wanted to know if you can add an interface to put a reversing camera and a GPS, or if it brings but deconectada as you issue? .. from and appreciate your response. Greetings.

How do you view the fuel consumption graph on your coman screen? I cant seem to find that option, do I need to enable it via engineer menu? I have fuel consumption details in my instrument panel, but not via comand screen.

How do you view the fuel consumption graph on your coman screen? I cant seem to find that option, do I need to enable it via engineer menu? I have fuel consumption details in my instrument panel, but not via comand screen.

For my model (W207/W212 NTG4) Yes. Enable in engineering mode and then view pretty graph in System pages

On mine I just press the sys button on the unit then I have the options of clock, fuel consumption or display off.

For my model (W207/W212 NTG4) Yes. Enable in engineering mode and then view pretty graph in System pages

Got it enabled now!

It's amongst the hybrid settings if anyone wants to know. You can also enable full hybrid info, which displays a pic of the car and batteries etc. Totally useless but cool! :)

Congratulations .. I wonder if you can add only NAVI module to work, instead of changing everything .. I have that stereo without navigation commands. Greetings and thanks.

Hi folks.
I have Comand 4.5 NTG, do any of you know if I can hook up rear screens to it?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom