W212 Oil Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Mercedes E250 W212 CDI BlueEfficiency
Hi all,

I've read a lot on internet that the OM651 has an issue with the timing chain and oil pump. When do you reckon to change the oil pump and timing chain? My car is on 88k, 62 plate, at the moment and was wondering whether I should change the oil pump to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot :)

Oil pump !!

Water pump more like

Water pump? I've heard oil pump. Has this engine having issues with the water pump as well? When should this be changed?

Thanks a lot

Om651 original is plastic and leaks , redesigned is metal .

2018-11-04 09.05.27.png

And then there's the fuel filter coolant housing two bolt to redesigned three bolt flange !

Oh I understand, and when did you change those? How many miles the car had? Thank you :)

My indie has yet to see a single stretched timing chain on the 651, it’s a bit of internet scare mongering.

The water pumps are prone to failure as they were made of plastic, but it’s pretty obvious if you have a leaking water pump.

I replaced the water pump on my 2011 E220 CDI with the OM651 engine and 107,000 miles over the weekend.
It was losing coolant for a while which started to get a lot worse over the past few weeks. It was hard to see exactly where the coolant was leaking as it evaporated very quickly. I had a careful look after I ran the car with the engine cold and identified the pump as the culprit.
I replaced the plastic one with the revised metal one although I believe the leak was from the the metal spinning vanes part -- probably a leaking seal. So nothing to do with it being plastic. When I took off the old one there was slight play in the shaft bearing.
Actually I could have checked whether there was play in the bearing with the pump in situ by just taking the serpentine belt off which would have confirmed the diagnosis.

Also, I replaced the water pump on my previous E220 CDI with the OM646 engine a number of years ago. The 'full metal jacket' pump failed on that at much the same mileage.
Maybe that is the mileage / age that they fail?

Not mine , but I do have undiagnosed coolant loss @ 71K !

Oh no, what year is your car, if you don't mind?

My indie has yet to see a single stretched timing chain on the 651, it’s a bit of internet scare mongering.

The water pumps are prone to failure as they were made of plastic, but it’s pretty obvious if you have a leaking water pump.

I agree with you, a simple search on the internet will bring up the timing chain failures. Regarding the water pump, I didn't know but I do now as of the oil pump that's what I've read over the internet but no one said anything over here though, so I'm assuming not a big deal. I've heard people with dead engines after oil pump failures and they had to literally rebuild their engines.

I replaced the water pump on my 2011 E220 CDI with the OM651 engine and 107,000 miles over the weekend.
It was losing coolant for a while which started to get a lot worse over the past few weeks. It was hard to see exactly where the coolant was leaking as it evaporated very quickly. I had a careful look after I ran the car with the engine cold and identified the pump as the culprit.
I replaced the plastic one with the revised metal one although I believe the leak was from the the metal spinning vanes part -- probably a leaking seal. So nothing to do with it being plastic. When I took off the old one there was slight play in the shaft bearing.
Actually I could have checked whether there was play in the bearing with the pump in situ by just taking the serpentine belt off which would have confirmed the diagnosis.

Also, I replaced the water pump on my previous E220 CDI with the OM646 engine a number of years ago. The 'full metal jacket' pump failed on that at much the same mileage.
Maybe that is the mileage / age that they fail?

Well it's a lot better that you replaced it, so don't have to think of it anymore now :) Well done for that, good job. Looks like a huge issue with this water pump.

Well it's a lot better that you replaced it, so don't have to think of it anymore now :) Well done for that, good job. Looks like a huge issue with this water pump.

After I typed the post above I looked up the expected life of a water pump in general across all car manufacturers. The wisdom of the internet seems to say that 60,000 - 90,000 miles is the normal lifetime. For cars with cambelts they say that the sensible option is to change the water pump when the cambelt is being changed. For cars with cam chains just leave it until it has an issue.
On mine it exceeded the expected life.
Doesn't seem like a huge issue to me.

Lots of people are saying that oil pump is the problem :) in Poland. The problem is lots of cars on this market are clocked down from 300 000/500 000km back to 100 000km and then people are complaining that engines are malfunctioning. There is no common issue with oil pumps. Coolant loose on OM651 is very common :) but nothing dramatoc

My water pump was replaced at 220k miles, now on 305k miles and the oil pump is still original. Not heard of any issues with the oil pump.

Did you have any problems with Turbo at your mileage, i presume injectors were gone :) I am just curious

Did you have any problems with Turbo at your mileage, i presume injectors were gone :) I am just curious

Not sure if you are talking to me, but if you are I have had no turbo issues. When the 212 was initially launched they had failures
with the Delphi? injectors, a manufacturing issue, so mine were replaced with Bosch injectors as part of the Mercedes recall at 70k miles I think from memory, although I never had any issues with mine.

The Bosch injectors have caused no issues

The timing chains are a common issue. Some go at 40k, some at 200k. There is no rule as to when they fail.

The timing chains are a common issue. Some go at 40k, some at 200k. There is no rule as to when they fail.

What are the symptoms ?

A rattle on cold start on a 651.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom