W212 Parking Brake Sticking when Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eisteddfod37

Car
Mercedes Benz E350 (W212) 2015
Hi,

I'm sure I'm not alone, however a quick Google Search and on this forum although a few members have mentioned it, I've seen to conclusive response.

When it's cold (outside), especially on a morning the Parking Brake doesn't seem to want to release. Or already the dash and foot peddle seems to not be interested in releasing and I have to drag it up with my foot. Am expensive trip to MB just to tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Does anyone have a solution? I suspect it more the pedal than the brake itself.

Many thanks

Andy

I had the same issue on my W204 C-Class (the MB traditional layout, foot operated parking brake, with manual release lever under the dash).

I asked the dealer (MB Brooklands) to look at it during the last service, and they fixed it. They said it was down to an adjustment in the release mechanism under the dash.

(In fact they slightly over-did it, the parking brake now releases very quickly, i.e. after very lightly pulling the level...)

Also, what I found while I had the problem, is that it wasn't about how hard or how fast I pulled the parking brake release lever. Instead, if I tugged it gently 3-4 times repeatedly in quick succession, it would release.

Just had the same problem with mine, went into dealers to fix charged me £75.00 to take off rear shoes and lubricate the mechanism. Two days later problem came back with it not releasing back I go now to be told the Rachet release mechanism needs replacing £340.00 with labour and vat. Okay I said I’ll have the £75.00 back that didn’t cure the problem they agreed. As it’s under used warranty there was nothing to pay.

(In fact they slightly over-did it, the parking brake now releases very quickly, i.e. after very lightly pulling the level...)

So there is an optimum release speed that doesn't require the driver to place their foot on the pedal and control release to prevent it releasing suddenly and noisily?

The one I've encountered releases far too suddenly. It also has the most stupidly dangerous positioning of the release lever - a handspan from the bonnet release. I reached in to release the bonnet and released the park brake instead. Fortunately, the transmission was in park so despite being on a steep incline it didn't go anywhere but if it hadn't been - and anyone was stood in front waiting for the bonnet to pop.... If the incline had been the other way and it had moved - I'd be floored by the door. Can hardly believe such a set up made it to market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom