W212 Privacy glass removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HR17

Car
A Merc.
W212 Privacy glass removal - anyone know if its possible? I'm in the market for a 'new' W212 350CDi and have seen a few possibilites with rear privacy glass. While I don't mind the rear screen being tinted, is it possible to remove the tints from the side windows? Is it a film or something more permanent? Any tips?

Generally, any probs I should look out for on an average milage, 2009/2010 E350CDi?

If it's factory fit then it's one way (ambulance) type glass and not film.

Windows can be changed for a tint to match the fronts but will be costly.

Merc Owner 2B said:
If it's factory fit then it's one way (ambulance) type glass and not film.

Windows can be changed for a tint to match the fronts but will be costly.

Could be cheaper if you pair up with someone with a W212 who wants the upgrade to privacy glass!

Why would you want to remove such a nice feature. With out exception cars look better with it, and it keeps the temp cooler in the back of the cabin?

You will damage resale without it.

Modern families with rear facing child seats demand privacy glass to prevent children being uncomfortable.

Many also prefer the added security given by thieves not being able to see what is in the car at night.

redbaron said:
You will damage resale without it.

Modern families with rear facing child seats demand privacy glass to prevent children being uncomfortable.

Many also prefer the added security given by thieves not being able to see what is in the car at night.

I'm a modern family man and hate it. Dark and oppressive in the back is not nice and nor is looking like a gangster cool...

Why would you want to remove such a nice feature. With out exception cars look better with it, and it keeps the temp cooler in the back of the cabin?

I'm not a fan. The Panda has privacy glass & it makes it look like a van.

Cheers,

Gaz

I'm not a fan. The Panda has privacy glass & it makes it look like a van.

Cheers,

Gaz
Totally agree, because you can only have the B pillar back tinted it always looks like a half ar5ed effort by a 17yr old spot ridden kid trying to look cool.......and black cars just look like hearses!

I have privacy glass on my Lexus RX but at least that is a light silvered mirror glass which does a fair effort in matching the front tints, still keeps the inside cool and prying eyes out of the rear without looking like a failed halfords sunday morning special. :D

I too am a modern family man and I hate it and would not consider buying any car that has it.

As said, can't be removed once it's there (unless you change the glass), but a matter of personal preference....which is why it's an option. Don't have it on my car (though have it on the beemer) but it did come with the 'Sun Protection Package'. An alternative to a permanently dank (!) cabin - manual blinds at the rear (roll down into the door) and an electric rear blind on the saloon.

Thanks for all the responses. As I'm not keen on privacy glass on saloons, and as it can't be removed, I'm going to steer clear of cars with it fitted. I think it looks a bit pimp-ish, and I'm too old for that! If it wasn't so dark, or could be matched to the front side windows it wouldn't be so bad.

We prefer not to have privacy glass too, and it really restricts choice - on MLs at least - although we've managed it twice now though. I really didn't think we'd find an ML63 without it, but did - makes it look much more subtle somehow.

I'm a modern family man and hate it. Dark and oppressive in the back is not nice and nor is looking like a gangster cool...

Have you ever been in a car with privacy glass? It doesn't make it dark unless some knob has put limo tint on it and even then it's only like having sunglasses on. It looks dark from the outside because you're looking through two layers of it.

The much overlooked benefit of decent privacy glass and films, and why I like it, is because it massively reduces the UV.

Have you ever been in a car with privacy glass? It doesn't make it dark unless some knob has put limo tint on it and even then it's only like having sunglasses on. It looks dark from the outside because you're looking through two layers of it.

The much overlooked benefit of decent privacy glass and films, and why I like it, is because it massively reduces the UV.

Bottom line is that tints are graded on the amount of light that they let through. So a car with tints is defo darker inside than one without. And bear in mind even cars without privacy glass do still have a level of window tinting (and UV protection) anyway. As said before - down to personal preference.

i could be tempted to lose the privacy glass in my E350 est, too

it is rather dark and more importantly

my labrador struggles to see out he has to put his face close to the glass !
haha!

anyone care to swap with normal tints:dk:

the (only) upside is security

Last edited:
mika said:
i could be tempted to lose the privacy glass in my E350 est, too

it is rather dark and more importantly

my labrador struggles to see out he has to put his face close to the glass !
haha!

anyone care to swap with normal tints:dk:

the (only) upside is security

Feck the dog, your car would look rubbish. It's just a dog, the cars gotta look right.

No problem with personal preference but never heard such rubbish, factory tints aren't dark, dank or any of the other of the descriptions used especially the difficulty for the dog seeing out. In fact it's only usually when you open the door when you realise how much glare they're cutting out, which is another good thing. Yes, it's darker but only very marginally.

No problem with personal preference but never heard such rubbish, factory tints aren't dark, dank or any of the other of the descriptions used especially the difficulty for the dog seeing out. In fact it's only usually when you open the door when you realise how much glare they're cutting out, which is another good thing. Yes, it's darker but only very marginally.

it was a joke about the dog....
the privacy glass is actually very dark in limited light from the inside of my car
its not marginal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom