W212 rain sensing wipers (do I have them)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crespo

Car
CLK 270 cdi
Just bought a w212 E Class 2011 Avantgarde. It's got pretty much everything apart from an auto gearbox and it seems automatic wipers. It's a strange omission considering that it has pretty much every other driving aid. Just wondered if anyone else with a Avantgarde of a similar vintage could confirm if automatic wipers was standard fitment or an optional extra that for some reason was not ticked. I have looked everywhere online and can't seem to find a straight answer. Even the dealer didn't know.

Thanks in advance

They only work in position one, I take it you have tried that?

You must have it.
When you select intermittent wiping (switch position 1) the rain sensor is activated.
The rain sensor will automatically set a wiping interval depending on the wetness of the sensor surface (just above RVM on a windscreen).
If you keep the wiper switch on 0 the rain sensor is deactivated and wipers wont work.

I never knew any W212s had manual gearboxes.

It must have rain sensing wipers?!

It’s the two dotted lines. Two levels of sensitivity. Then the two solid lines are on regardless.
s-l1600.jpg

They only work in position one, I take it you have tried that?
Yes, and position 2. They just work like normal intermittent wipers.
I have a camera on the windscreen and what looks to be a sensor. It could just be a sensor for the automatic lights though.

I never knew any W212s had manual gearboxes.

It must have rain sensing wipers?!

It’s the two dotted lines. Two levels of sensitivity. Then the two solid lines are on regardless.
s-l1600.jpg
That's exactly what my wiper stalk looks like.
And yes, mine is a 250 cdi with 6 speed manual. Can't be many manuals about

Has the windscreen ever been replaced? If so, likely the sensor not connected up again correctly.

Has the windscreen ever been replaced? If so, likely the sensor not connected up again correctly.
I think so, its not got any Mercedes branding on it. Its what I thought to be honest, just I didn't want to go pulling apart the car without confirming that it definitely has rain sensing wipers.
I just can't think why anyone would option auto dimming mirrors, auto lights, lane assist and blind spot assist and not bother with automatic wipers. The dealer today didn't really help. They said it didn't have them, but I got the impression that they didn't actually know and it was a cop out answer. I would of thought that all models would have them standard

Put it in position 1.

Chuck some water on the sensor.

????????

Just been out and ripped the plastic thing off, and there is definitely a sensor there. Unplugged and plugged back in and sqrayed water on it and nothing. Just intimitant wiping. So I have a problem. Any ideas?

It won't always be triggered by chucking a jug of water on it, it'd got to be "rain like", i.e sprinkler on a hosepipe.

A manual MB :(
I've had a 5g auto CLK, a 7g auto CLS and now a 6 speed manual e class. And to be honest, it's pretty good. The 250 cdi is so torquey you don't change gear much, and when you do it's fairly light and pleasant. Auto hold negates the foot handbrake, so you only use that to park. I thought I honestly wouldn't like it but its actually alright, I don't miss the auto yet. I wouldn't recommend it over an auto but certainly wouldn't advise against it the previous owner of my car clearly used the money for the gearbox on toys so I'm happy, I got a very well equipped e class for a very favorable price. Only time I miss the auto is in traffic jams. I don't use the Merc for work so I don't really find myself in heavy traffic, and on the motorway it has enough grunt to stay constantly in 6th. It actually feels quicker than my old 320 cdi because I have control of the gears. It's nice not having any lag.

Reactions: Abb
It won't always be triggered by chucking a jug of water on it, it'd got to be "rain like", i.e sprinkler on a hosepipe.
I've just attacked it with a bottle of window cleaner and it's not playing ball. I noticed the fault driving in the pissing rain Saturday night on the motorway. It definitely only works like normal intermittent wipers

So your stalk is set the the 2nd dotted line? The one with 4 dots?

Take a pic of your rain sensor. Should be full of fluid. It might have drained if your screen has been replaced, and so won't be able to see the screen properly.

After I had a replacement screen, my sensor now has some bubbles in it, but it still works fine, it's just not as precise as it was, goes a bit daft sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom