w212 Rear shocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suty455

Car
E350 CDI
Anyone have a source for rear Airmatic shocks need a couple for mine ones knocking and it feels a bit floaty in general, I refuse to pay £800 to mercedes for what is in effect a standard shock with a magnetic valve to stiffen them, have found some on Alibaba which I will order if nobody else has any ideas cheapest have seen so far in the UK is £669.00 for a pair

Maybe price up Arnotts. TMS autoparts on ebay or try to find a motor factor prepared to give a decent price. ECP sell them but I found a more acceptable price for pair for my S212 after negotiating with local independent factor. Not sure if it was TMS but one ebay seller allegedly gave a discount for a pair (if buyers message beforehand).

Don't expect change from £600-£650 fitted & bear in mind some will decline to fit non Merc items or customer supplied items...Labour prob's an hour a sideon a decent ramp set up. I personally wouldn't use anyone for the work who hasn't done a bag swap before on a similar car. Some workshops may advise on fitting rear air pipe joiner, (belt and braces).

If shopping around for best parts &/or labour prices , keep things to the point but civil. For every haggler there are dozens who don't query costs so don't burn bridges you may have later desire to return to.

Be mindful that some sellers with u.k. web addresses may not be in UK...meaning delays &/or import & customs charges.

Personally I would not buy cheap unbranded items or items from overseas..........You could have to wait a significant time, plus you can get hit with fees....Plus issues if items poor or fail later...I have heard of more than one horror story from fitting rubbish.

Be sure to have correct diagnosis. I replaced pair on mine as I car was sinking on one side overnight & after car checked properly.....Mine wasn't floaty - I had a minor leak but both bags inflated ok once engine & compressor started.

Leaks on bags can seldom be seen as bags are in gaitor covers.

Knocking could be something else - I had a rear top mount fail recently.

Probs not what you wanted to read but Arnott part route still cheaper than OE Merc bags.

I paid for pro indy initial diagnosis & did hours of research before sourcing & getting work done. My advice free to be taken or ignored as appropriate.

HTH

Last edited:
Maybe price up Arnotts. TMS autoparts on ebay or try to find a motor factor prepared to give a decent price. ECP sell them but I found a more acceptable price for pair for my S212 after negotiating with local independent factor. Not sure if it was TMS but one ebay seller allegedly gave a discount for a pair (if buyers message beforehand).

Don't expect change from £600-£650 fitted & bear in mind some will decline to fit non Merc items or customer supplied items...Labour prob's an hour a sideon a decent ramp set up. I personally wouldn't use anyone for the work who hasn't done a bag swap before on a similar car. Some workshops may advise on fitting rear air pipe joiner, (belt and braces).

If shopping around for best parts &/or labour prices , keep things to the point but civil. For every haggler there are dozens who don't query costs so don't burn bridges you may have later desire to return to.

Be mindful that some sellers with u.k. web addresses may not be in UK...meaning delays &/or import & customs charges.

Personally I would not buy cheap unbranded items or items from overseas..........You could have to wait a significant time, plus you can get hit with fees....Plus issues if items poor or fail later...I have heard of more than one horror story from fitting rubbish.

Be sure to have correct diagnosis. I replaced pair on mine as I car was sinking on one side overnight & after car checked properly.....Mine wasn't floaty - I had a minor leak but both bags inflated ok once engine & compressor started.

Leaks on bags can seldom be seen as bags are in gaitor covers.

Knocking could be something else - I had a rear top mount fail recently.

Probs not what you wanted to read but Arnott part route still cheaper than OE Merc bags.

I paid for pro indy initial diagnosis & did hours of research before sourcing & getting work done. My advice free to be taken or ignored as appropriate.

HTH
thanks for the info we have done the top mounts already just in case but its still knocking and has a light oil mist on the surface under the sleeve

Reactions: AW8
OK...I wont BS you. I do basic service work on an older BMW here BUT don't have raised ramps or claim to have extensive understanding of what's involved.

Link may help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One more thing....Jay at Mercland, (reputable on here) ,allegedly used to fit Aerosus bags without issues. I don't know enough about those units or suppliers to recommend same 1st hand........Good Luck.

Last edited:
OK...I wont BS you. I do basic service work on an older BMW here BUT don't have raised ramps or claim to have extensive understanding of what's involved.

Link may help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One more thing....Jay at Mercland, (reputable on here) ,allegedly used to fit Aerosus bags without issues. I don't know enough about those units or suppliers to recommend same 1st hand........Good Luck.
Well have tried a local independant who wanted £1200 to replace both rears, its not worth it, ordered from Alibaba last night they assure me that they supply several EU stockists with the same product and have for years, they are a gold standard supplier on Alibaba and have been going for 7 years on there, and £300 plus shipping for a pair is worth a punt when the same product is on sale from a EU stockist at £359 each will feedback in a few Weeks once they are on

Ok....Thanks for indicating you will update on here. I think my Arnotts plus fitting came in at around £600 over a year ago, I hope your choice works out ok for you.

Ok....Thanks for indicating you will update on here. I think my Arnotts plus fitting came in at around £600 over a year ago, I hope your choice works out ok for you.
ok bought these yesterday total incl shipping to the UK $385, fingers crossed but Alibaba rates them

Do you have a link for This Alibaba and a product code for your order please?

Cheers Bill.

Do you have a link for This Alibaba and a product code for your order please?

Cheers Bill.
sure this is the drivers or RH side

The other side is the same but has a different part number seem to have gone up slightly since i bought but there are other ads on there for less

so shocks arrived today and pleasantly surprised to see they are actually MB branded on the dustboots and the body being fitted tomorrow along with uprated Brakes so will report back.

Ah well too good to be true lol it seems the parts are boxed incorrectly I have been sent longer shocks they look identical but they will not compress enough to allow the car to get to normal height, they think they are off one of the 4x4 models, they are getting it sorted now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom