W212 Rear subframe corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BfgSLKMan

North Germany and Sometimes South Germany
Car
S213 220d AMG Line (his) and A238 220d AMG Line (hers)
Just had a work colleague of mine (here in Germany) had his rear subframe of his 2011 W212 (454k! 220d) replaced under warranty - clearly those W204/R171 frames are spreading. This is a saloon and not a C Class derivative Coupe/Convertible and is a known by the TuV stations (MOT test centre equivalents) when they pick it up on tests.

Might be useful for some to know?

Mercedes UK are honouring claims on the sub frames but the car has to be inspected by the main dealer first. I believe it only affects the W212 models.

Mercedes UK are honouring claims on the sub frames but the car has to be inspected by the main dealer first. I believe it only affects the W212 models.
That is good to know - wanted to make sure that the message is out there that MB are paying for replacments

Thanks Pete. I only heard about the 212s - appreciate the correction :)

Just had a work colleague of mine (here in Germany) had his rear subframe of his 2011 W212 (454k! 220d) replaced under warranty - clearly those W204/R171 frames are spreading. This is a saloon and not a C Class derivative Coupe/Convertible and is a known by the TuV stations (MOT test centre equivalents) when they pick it up on tests.

Might be useful for some to know?Like to say that my 2010 T212 350 cdi estate has also failed. MB at Guildford have been brilliant and confirmed over the phone that it’s FoC work. Took car in for the evidence to be documented and forwarded to MB Germany.
Just like to say that my 2010 E class estate has also failed. Became apparent when I had to brake sharp and the car moved rightwards ! Just been mot’d as well.

MB at Guildford have been brilliant. Confirmed over the phone that it was FoC work. Presented car to the dealer for the evidence to be forwarded to Germany

Just awaiting part to arrive. This may be a little while yet. Advised to replace rear brake lines at same time due to the amount of work involved if just doing that job alone.
Must admit that wasn’t cheap as it involves dropping fuel tank. Also, I’m allowing for replacement of inner track steering arms as no doubt they won’t cooperate when doing the realignment.

Must admit I did have to buy another car whilst the MB is off the road awaiting. Courtesy car only available when car is at the dealership.

Same as w204s and 171s etc.

We are seeing loads of 212s in for brake lines ATM too. They seem worse than other models.

Last one we did, you could twist the line in half by hand. Hadn't failed MOT yet.

Might be useful for some to know?
Thank you very much for this information. Cheers👍

I've posted elsewhere on this forum - C220 Model Year 2012 had a large hole in the upper surface of the subframe that was almost impossible to see from below.
Replaced FOC by MB Main dealer - under anti-corrosion warranty.
Worth mentioning - it was missed on MOT earlier this year, despite my regular test station saying that they had checked for subframe rusting, as many W204s etc are failing for this reason.

Ha!! My claim was rejected my MB. I had this exact subframe failure (W212 220d 2011) in Dec 2021. Sent car to MB Tamworth who did the claim and MB rejected/refused. Had to pay for it 100% myself.
Also ended up using a 3rd party sub-frame no delivery date for genuine MB part was available and told a stories of back-log of orders.
This is my thread for my subframe failure

2010 212 estate 350 cdi. Not full service by MB by any means.
Rear subframe replaced FoC courtesy MB Sandown in Guildford. They provided super service.

Admittedly other work was required aka brake lines. They were very badly corroded.

Interesting to note the rear airbag bottom suspension arms were also “distressed “ so new ones went on. Finally I also got a rear right headlight levelling sensor put on 😂.
New front inner and outer track rods were installed before hand for the wheel alignment, they were a bit corroded.

Originally took the car to MB Brooklands who were not in the slightest bit helpful, wouldn’t even look at it unless I paid upfront for an inspection. Told me I had no claim to pursue followed by what do you expect it’s 12 years old etc.

2010 212 estate 350 cdi. Not full service by MB by any means.
Rear subframe replaced FoC courtesy MB Sandown in Guildford. They provided super service.

Admittedly other work was required aka brake lines. They were very badly corroded.

Interesting to note the rear airbag bottom suspension arms were also “distressed “ so new ones went on. Finally I also got a rear right headlight levelling sensor put on 😂.
New front inner and outer track rods were installed before hand for the wheel alignment, they were a bit corroded.

Originally took the car to MB Brooklands who were not in the slightest bit helpful, wouldn’t even look at it unless I paid upfront for an inspection. Told me I had no claim to pursue followed by what do you expect it’s 12 years old etc.
Pretty shoddy response from MB Brooklands I would say.

This is all a bit worrying.....I've been looking at 212 models.....and have not given subframes a second thought as I was led to believe that only 204 models and their derivatives suffered with this issue..... I will be looking a bit closer.

and...
My view is that it is an utter disgrace that owners are subjected to a lottery when it comes to getting rotten subframe on W204's, W212's and R171's fixed.

Put simply the subframes shouldn't suffer from catastrophic corrosion in the first place, but for MBUK not to step up and provide consistent support via their dealer network - as I'm led to believe is the case in Germany - is appalling.

When my W204 was serviced at MB Brooklands last December, I asked them to check the rear subframe. They told me that they had the MOT tester check it and it's fine (and also mentioned it in the inspection video).

That been said, given that in some cases the corrosion seem to start from the inside, it is still a worry in spite of the clean bill health given to it by the dealer.

I suppose that for complete peace of mind the best way to deal with this is by ensuring that the rear subframe gets a close inspection at each service and each MOT (my W204 has since been sold to a fellow forum member, who is well aware of this potential issue).

My s212 is at the local main dealer and I have been told the rear subframe has corroded and there is a hole in it. Called me to say MB will cover the cost! Then had another call to say the air suspension bags will “probably” split when carrying out the replacement and I would be liable due to the age of the vehicle. I asked why as they wouldn’t eec to be disturbed if the axle/subframe hadn’t rusted through? Told MB wont pay fir this as it’s wear and tear!!! Waiting to hear back but also told bags are world wide back order but they can source OEM parts at £250 each rather than the £500 Merc parts would be. Going to contact MB if they do need replacing as this is unacceptable . Also strange that dealer has the subframe unit in stock, maybe they are a regular thing!

My s212 is at the local main dealer and I have been told the rear subframe has corroded and there is a hole in it. Called me to say MB will cover the cost! Then had another call to say the air suspension bags will “probably” split when carrying out the replacement and I would be liable due to the age of the vehicle. I asked why as they wouldn’t eec to be disturbed if the axle/subframe hadn’t rusted through? Told MB wont pay fir this as it’s wear and tear!!! Waiting to hear back but also told bags are world wide back order but they can source OEM parts at £250 each rather than the £500 Merc parts would be. Going to contact MB if they do need replacing as this is unacceptable . Also strange that dealer has the subframe unit in stock, maybe they are a regular thing!
Heard nothing from dealer so assuming bags are ok. I did make it clear I wanted calling if they needed changing! Let’s see ….

Any update on your rear subframe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom