• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 Rear subframe corrosion

My s212 is at the local main dealer and I have been told the rear subframe has corroded and there is a hole in it. Called me to say MB will cover the cost! Then had another call to say the air suspension bags will “probably” split when carrying out the replacement and I would be liable due to the age of the vehicle. I asked why as they wouldn’t eec to be disturbed if the axle/subframe hadn’t rusted through? Told MB wont pay fir this as it’s wear and tear!!! Waiting to hear back but also told bags are world wide back order but they can source OEM parts at £250 each rather than the £500 Merc parts would be. Going to contact MB if they do need replacing as this is unacceptable . Also strange that dealer has the subframe unit in stock, maybe they are a regular thing!
It is a debatable point re the airbags.

They are a service item with a finite life and if you are getting new ones with a warranty from MB, then fitted for free and at half the usual MB price per unit then they could very reasonably argue that you have received "betterment" and expect you to pick up that cost.

There may be other suspension components that need replacing due to the subfrane removal. They would be wear and tear items as well.

If the brake lines are run under the subframe and show signs of corrosion it would be a good time to consider having those replaced as the cost to you would be much reduced.

Hi
I have big problems with rear subframe
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had my frame replaced in Feb 2022 it was completely rotten out , in fact it was so bad that my steering wheel wasn't in center position....

What is the point of being aggressive with the MB dealership?

The one you are now expecting to help you.

They didnt design the part, they didnt specify the construction method or materials

If you want them to help then being polite and reasonable is going to make the process proceed much more smoothly

I had my subframe replaced for free by Mercedes, its a known problem on the W212 E class, However since then the car sits lower at the front , all road springs were changed
The car is a 2012 model, I also noted the same year C lass had exactly the same problem.

I had my subframe replaced for free by Mercedes, its a known problem on the W212 E class, However since then the car sits lower at the front , all road springs were changed
The car is a 2012 model, I also noted the same year C lass had exactly the same problem.
Assume they haven't calibrated the rear airbags if an estate.

If a saloon, your guess is as good as mine

Hello, i agree your guess is as good as mine, Bear in mind two dealers have now said there is a problem, one said live with it, goodness me what a thing to say to a customer, and the original dealer who did the work has now measured the ride height, perhaps the wrong springs are fitted on the back we shall wait and see what they come up with.
Thanks for the reply.

I've just bought a W212 and have just received a £600 bill from my mechanic who mig welded the repair after noticing corrosion when he went to change the bushes. Didn't even realise this was an issue until I googled it and was directed to this forum. Is there anything I can do about this with regards to taking it to a local MB dealer? Is this not covered in the 30 year anti corrosion warranty ? What do I say to the dealer?, I would like a new sub frame? By the sounds of it some are willing to pay and others are not, do I just drive around all the MB dealers trying to find one that will pay? A £60 job has turned into a £600 job.

I've just bought a W212 and have just received a £600 bill from my mechanic who mig welded the repair after noticing corrosion when he went to change the bushes. Didn't even realise this was an issue until I googled it and was directed to this forum. Is there anything I can do about this with regards to taking it to a local MB dealer? Is this not covered in the 30 year anti corrosion warranty ? What do I say to the dealer?, I would like a new sub frame? By the sounds of it some are willing to pay and others are not, do I just drive around all the MB dealers trying to find one that will pay? A £60 job has turned into a £600 job.
I suspect that now you've had it welded, they will not be interested.

Mercedes UK are honouring claims on the sub frames but the car has to be inspected by the main dealer first. I believe it only affects the W212 models.
They just agreed to replace mine on a w212 2012 plated car. Failed MOT, MB Warrington provided fantastic service so far agreed to replace subframe FOC, awaiting car back next week. Was expecting it to be a horrible issue and at £3000 one that I would feel the tug at my wallet. However MB behave honorably and stood by their product and warranty. Can’t fault them regards the service at Inchcape Warrington

Hi.I have a 2010 e350 cdi and of course I have the same problem with the rear subframe.failed on mot and the garage recommended to contact the local mb dealership/hull mb listers/ and maybe the can fixing foc.anyone here who’s got the same problem and mb hull agreed the free fixing?thanks in advance
Andras

Hi all,

My 2013 E220 CDI (Facelift) model has suffered the same fate, luckily Mercedes of Winchester looked at it and got approval from MB UK very quickly!

Unfortunately I'm stuck waiting on parts and it's been two months now, how long did you guys have to wait?
What's worse is that the car failed on the MOT because of the sub frame so I can't even use it even if I wanted to.

First W212 facelift that I've heard of having this issue... did it continue all the way until W213? I wonder why both of mine have been given the all clear each MOT... maybe it's a fate that awaits us all

Hi.I have a 2010 e350 cdi and of course I have the same problem with the rear subframe.failed on mot and the garage recommended to contact the local mb dealership/hull mb listers/ and maybe the can fixing foc.anyone here who’s got the same problem and mb hull agreed the free fixing?thanks in advance
Andras
Mine was done a week or so ago. MB Warrington. FOC car is 2012 without full MB service history. Was very impressed by MB Warrington. Well worth asking as the bill would have been around 2700 pounds.
Hi all,

My 2013 E220 CDI (Facelift) model has suffered the same fate, luckily Mercedes of Winchester looked at it and got approval from MB UK very quickly!

Unfortunately I'm stuck waiting on parts and it's been two months now, how long did you guys have to wait?
What's worse is that the car failed on the MOT because of the sub frame so I can't even use it even if I wanted to.
waited only short time. In on Thursday for inspection. Told unsafe and approved for warranty replacement. Car kep in and returned Monday job done. I think they had a subframe in stock! Perhaps they are anticipating demand?

First W212 facelift that I've heard of having this issue... did it continue all the way until W213? I wonder why both of mine have been given the all clear each MOT... maybe it's a fate that awaits us all
Mine is a 2011and it’s perfectly ok Teddy.

Most of them look absolutely fine.....right until the point they fail!....Most look OK from the outside according to my MOT guy....rust starts from the inside.

im looking to buy a e350 convertable around 2012 plate, can i check the reg with mercedes to see if it has had a new frame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom