W212 replacement discs and pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1stmbc180

Car
E220 w212 AMG Sport
Hi
As the title suggests I'm going to be changing front and rear brake discs and pads. I have a 64 e class 220cdi AMG sport.

I've had a look through various threads on the forum and things online. But really just want some opinions from people on here.
Can anyone suggest WHERE to buy all from and WHAT brand/spec.
I'll be fitting them myself so the money I'll be saving from not going to a dealer to get them fitted I can spend on the parts instead.
I have been looking at ceramic pads also which I can see more benefit in.
At the moment I've got a ball park figure of £450, which is for ATE front (drilled and grooved) discs, rear discs and ceramic pads all round.
Are these any good and is that around the right price?

you may be better off going to MB for OEM discs, they usually have a good offer on. Try MB Grangemouth or your local MB parts dept.
I used redstuff pads when I changed mine recently, purely for reduced dust.

I think you can get OEM front pads and discs (for amg sport) for less than £200 so both front and rears should be much less than £400.

Ok thanks, I'll give my local mb dealer a call tomorrow to get it priced.
Wasn't sure if I would see any significant gains from a different manufacturer over the OEM discs. I was looking at the redstuff pads as an alternative from OEM as the brake dust is ridiculous at the moment! Would you suggest spending a little more on ceramic or are they not worth it?

i went with EBC redstuff pads due to less dust as my wheels had just been refurbished. Just the front, on the original discs which did not need changing.

I've not noticed any difference in braking performance, and the car has been mot'd and dealer serviced since fitting, with no comments about brakes aside from the pad wear at 10% on front and back.

The amount of dust on the front is significantly reduced, so well worth doing imo. Think i bought the pads for around £80.

So didn't have time to call MB today to get a price on the discs and pads, but have managed to find ATE front and rear discs and pads (ceramic) for £305. If MB comes back at that price or a little less, gauging from what you said in your post Such01, is it still worth going for the OEM ones over ATE as I would see the others as an upgrade?
Thanks again for the posts guys

MB just quoted £540.44 with sensors. Seems a bit steep to me so will probably go with the ATE ones unless anyone else has a suggestion of a better brand?

1stmbc180 said:
MB just quoted £540.44 with sensors. Seems a bit steep to me so will probably go with the ATE ones unless anyone else has a suggestion of a better brand?

Which Mb dealer ?

I recently purchased a set of genuine front discs an pads for the CLS from MB Grangemouth.

In total it was £167 for the discs / pads / sensor. ECP with their discount codes were more for the Brembo parts so why not stick with OEM of it is cheaper ?

Kenny

It's MB Portsmouth. To be honest there after service is astonishgly bad! Once you have bought a car they don't really want to do anything else for you service or sales!!

Yea I know brembo are a good name in brakes, didn't know if they made for MB though, will give gsf a call now.

Ok thanks JohnBell I've just sent them a message so hopefully hear back soon.

Last edited:
Gsf, with brembo all round and sensors £411. So a good £100 more than the ATE. Think I'll probably go with them unless people have had any bad experiences with them.

Has anyone on here done this themselves before? Is there anything that might catch me out or any special tools?

Just make sure the parts supplied are correct for your car, as the size of front discs may vary, and pads can be different.

Try MB grangemouth (discount for forum members) and give them your VIN.

I think their sport perforated discs will be as good and any other - brembo or ATE. They may even be made by them.

As the front discs are "fairly priced" I will stick with them when mine require replacement.
They also seem to be wearing well, got the car at 68k, now on 83k and the front discs are still very good - according to the last MB health check.
Not sure at what mileage they were fitted though.

MB of Edinburgh just got back to me, very fairly priced, and quick response from them. Half of what my local MB dealer quoted me!! So will definitely stick with the OEM brakes. Thanks again JohnBell.

1stmbc180 said:
MB of Edinburgh just got back to me, very fairly priced, and quick response from them. Half of what my local MB dealer quoted me!! So will definitely stick with the OEM brakes. Thanks again JohnBell.

Your welcome :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom