W212 Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MCFastybloke

Car
W201,W210,W124 On my way to ?
We need an estate here at Home for our weekend pastime, this role is currently served by our Volvo V70 D5. Im quite attached to this old chap very comfortable, quite simple and low key. I would ,rationally just get another,a face lift post 2012 D5 but they seem to have a bit of a following and a scene tax.
So looking out there the w212 is relatively good value in comparison so im looking at them in detail, i dont want the artico, seat snob perhaps

1, the leather, option only? or at what level did it come as standard?
2 the load bay, how wide is it behind the seats across the car just under the luggage blind?

Looking for a 2013 ish car in a colour not Black,Silver,White or grey with a light leather interior and ideally dark carpets.I do appreciate this is That particular needle in that particular haystack, i do have lots of time

Can't help with the second question but regarding the first, on the pre-facelift cars the SE got Artico while leather was standard on the Avantgarde and the Sport model got sports seats with Artico side bolsters and centre section in Dynamica microfibre. For the facelift, AFAIK all cars had leather regardless of spec.

Edit:

Just realised I had a pdf copy of the Sales Price List on my hard-drive. Here's the dimensions page that will hopefully answer the first question:

55Q3amZ.jpg

So i need 1300mm clear width just under the blind for my needs. Hopefully an owner will help me out.

So i need 1300mm clear width just under the blind for my needs. Hopefully an owner will help me out.
Just to be pedantic, the estate is an S212, (Stationwagon 212), rather than a W212 (Wagon 212). That might help googling for data etc.

V70's and S212's are great cars. My son used to row, and these were standard kit for transporting 6'6" rowers, their entourage and related kit. Much better choice than SUV's for Dorney, Nottingham etc.

Estates are hard to find at the moment, and especially the anything involving petrol because of ULEZ. The World is constipated between Diesel and EV / PHEV and it's done funny things to resale prices and availability.

Note that the rear seat cushions on the S212 don't flip forward, so the floor can't be made to be as flat as in the S211.

Leather ? Well, they can call it leather. "Other opinions are available." Let's just say that it's very rare to find Nappa leather. But it does wear extremely well: unless abused, it can be good well beyond 250k.

Colour choice? I've wasted more than enough time in the past over that one. You will struggle to find a colour that isn't Black,Silver,White or grey. Of the top of my head I'd say you're ruling out 39 out of 40 cars.

And you will find it difficult to find one with a light leather interior. So you will need some time. Next Winter is probably the best guess.

Here's the depressing stats on colour availability for any model of Mercedes that you choose: (click link) MERCEDES-BENZ - Car Colours

Final comment: don't be put off by an ex-Carriage trade car if it has a proper service history. If maintained, these cars go on for ever. Horror maintenance stories are usually to do with people buying used and refusing to maintain them.

I had V70 just before this S212 and if memory still serves me the V70 has wider loading bay but S212s is longer and a bit higher.

This may help the two contradictory descriptions: From my 2010 S212.
What are you trying to get in there? Dog cage, wheelchair, or bikes?

IMG_2069.jpeg

IMG_2070.jpeg

We travel quite a bit (normally ) with our shotguns and associated kit,sometimes weekend away baggage,fridge,chairs etc. Over the years the best set up is to get the guns across the car as far forward as poss, no need to be lifting stuff over at hotels to get a pastie or a pop etc and discrete too. The area behind the arch near the tailgate end is wide enough but not my fave location.

And to further slim down my choices i want a diesel too as we do 20k PA, i do however have all the time in the world.

We travel quite a bit (normally ) with our shotguns and associated kit,sometimes weekend away baggage,fridge,chairs etc. Over the years the best set up is to get the guns across the car as far forward as poss, no need to be lifting stuff over at hotels to get a pastie or a pop etc and discrete too. The area behind the arch near the tailgate end is wide enough but not my fave location.

And to further slim down my choices i want a diesel too as we do 20k PA, i do however have all the time
Did Mike borrow that lens too?
Don’t know.
Did Mike borrow that lens too?

Attachments

• 4CB8BB27-9028-4F56-A5B0-DCC80E1D94D0.jpeg
    4CB8BB27-9028-4F56-A5B0-DCC80E1D94D0.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
In your picture it is perpendicular to the floor but not ALL the way . The small widening will be enough for my requirements

This is an illustration using my volvo

In your picture it is perpendicular to the floor but not ALL the way . The small widening will be enough for my requirements

This is an illustration using my volvo
You have asked for dimension under the blind holder and that one is 1100mm from top to bottom. It is perpendicular to the floor all the way. Here is another photo maybe showing it better
7A7AE15D-2F24-4538-BC13-496554BB4151.jpeg
There is a wider gap in the front just like in V70 and you could use it to store the shotgun.

Thankyou for the assistance. Context is not the greatest when conveying meaning on the internet, I am hoping you have not had these pictures in stock and have been out to your car? now you have a bit more information could i trouble you to measure the widest point on the widening area, for my purpose the blind would still be a bling even when fully deployed.

Well, I think it LOOKS like leather, so if Artico it's easy to be fooled in photos.

Best way to check if you're serious about the car is call the seller, ask them for the VIN so you can do an HPI check, and put the VIN into www.lastvin.com

That will bring up the datacard and list all of the options, included what is actually recorded as being fitted in the factory.
And as Ellen Ripley would no doubt recommend, "A datacard pulled from the VIN will confirm the options. It's the only way to be sure".

Thanks for that link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom