W212/S212 dash creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shifter

Car
S212 E500
Hi all,

I have a slight dash creak which seems to be coming from the top of the dash where the speaker grills are. It's not loud, but it is annoying and is most apparent at lower speeds over uneven ground. Turning my music up slightly means it's pretty much inaudible, but I'd like to sort it.

The grills seem to be in tightly but it definitely sounds like that area, although I know interior noises seem to have the ability to throw themselves around and often turn out to be something different entirely.

I've read that the instrument cluster can make noises in it's housing, I wonder if it's that? Maybe the noise finds the easiest way out of the dash and that happens to sound like the dash top near the screen?

Anyone else had this and have a fix? Or are there any other regular culprits for dash creaks and squeaks?

Thanks.

If it's plastic on plastic use ac-f27 it's a lubricant
Or fabric loom tape if your cheap :)
Fabric tape goes well on plastic on metal
If it's a big gap felt or sticky foam tape

Thanks for that, I've got some sticky felt and stick on foam for this job when I muster up the guts to start dismantling.

I've had a quick Google of the ACF27 but can't find anything, although there is an ACF50 which can be used on plastic...?

Ah, thank you very much. I'll get some ordered.
I just got rid of a really annoying one. When driving it sounded like it was over on the left side of the dash but when I was a passenger it sounded like it was in middle of the clocks but it turned out it was actually the cameras on the front screen just pulled off the cover and the cameras moved slightly now no rattle! I then coated all the plastic touch points with ac-f27 and that doesn't creak at all either now

Sounds perfect, i just need to figure out how to take it all to bits and refit it!

Thanks for the tip 👍

Sounds perfect, i just need to figure out how to take it all to bits and refit it!

Thanks for the tip 👍
I have the instructions for most stuff if you can show me exactly what your wanting to remove

I have the instructions for most stuff if you can show me exactly what your wanting to remove
Oh brilliant, thank you.

I'm not entirely sure where the noise is coming from, so it may be a trial and error thing...

Could it be coming from the front suspension? Eg top mount or something like that? :)

Could it be coming from the front suspension? Eg top mount or something like that? :)
I couldn't rule it out 100%, but I'd bet my last Rolo that it's something within the dash

I appreciate the suggestion though, I'll add it to the list of possibilities 👍

Wis seems to show only 1 speaker on the dash and for that it states remove cover :) so get your self some trim tools and wedge one down and it will pop out sent you a message too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom