W212 Saloon - Would a road bike fit with the fold down rear seat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

csquire3

Car
E Class 350 CDi Sport
Hi, looking at buying a 2015 E-Class W212 saloon, does anyone know if a road bike will fit inside without removing front wheel if the car has the rear folding seat option? Any photos appreciated.

I do have a SARIS bike rack which can carry up to 3 bikes but it's a bit of a faff and would be nicer and more secure to transport inside the car if I was carrying just 1 bike.

Cheers
Col

It's 23 inch frame but bikes are awkward shapes. The latest model E-Class seems to handle it. Took this from a Carwow video.
1611608410084.png

I have a CLS which is basically the same size and I need to remove my front wheel (it's a 29er) on my mountain bike. Roughly the same size.

Hi, looking at buying a 2015 E-Class W212 saloon, does anyone know if a road bike will fit inside without removing front wheel if the car has the rear folding seat option? Any photos appreciated.

I do have a SARIS bike rack which can carry up to 3 bikes but it's a bit of a faff and would be nicer and more secure to transport inside the car if I was carrying just 1 bike.

Cheers
Col
What I used to do is whip both wheels out and you can easily get two bikes in the back. One upside down on the back seat and one upside down in the foot wells, wheels in the boot. You can put the seatbelt round the one on the backseat to stop it moving. If you can be bothered you can also use a Chain Johny which covers all the grubby bits. I know it doesn’t answer your question but I found it was always quicker and easier to do it this way and just take both wheels out! Even quicker if you file the lawyer tabs off your fork dropouts!

I now use a Westfalia tow bar rack but if we’re going across the Channel etc I still put them in the back for security.

Yes, it will certainly fit if you remove the front wheel, and it will fit, with a fiddle, if you insert the front wheel FIRST, twisting the front wheel once the bike has been inserted. (obviously, you'll need to loosen and twist the handlebars to enable them to twist.) The caveat is that the front wheel will make the upholstery mucky.

Why don't you want to remove the front wheel ?

The challenge will be to find a W212 with the folding rear seat.

(I've put TWO hybrids into W211's and BMW E92's with rear folding seats.)

This is a W211, but the W212 will be the same kind of size. Whip the front wheel off, and pop the rear end of the bike in first.

.IMG_0753.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all, I can whip off the front wheel but don't want to remove both wheels as I always end up with oily hands putting the rear back on. If carrying 2 bikes I would always use the the rack.

I could get 2 road bikes with the front wheels removed and the larger of the flip down back rests folded down in my S Type Jag which had a very shallow boot.
It should be a doddle in an e class.

Thanks all, I can whip off the front wheel but don't want to remove both wheels as I always end up with oily hands putting the rear back on. If carrying 2 bikes I would always use the the rack.
I use Squirt wax lube these days - makes a big difference in chain cleanliness. And works even on the mtb. Seriously though, i just use thumb and forefinger to grip the very bottom of the rear mech cage when dropping the rear wheel back in so no actual contact with the chain. I put the rear wheel in first and while doing it rest the forks on a wheel bag. Helps to drop into the smallest sprocket before removing/replacing the rear wheel of course.

Exactly the reason I drive an S212.

Last car was an S211 and next one likely to be a S213 when I find one of the right spec/price.

I'm a club cyclist and used to race time trials. I'd turn up at events with my (very expensive) bike completely assembled as well as my kit bag - helmet, shoes etc in the back, and then look on at others, some cases in tiny sports cars with a bike completely in bits!

If a car already exists for the purpose, I'm afraid I don't understand the reason for compromise when it's more or less the same car? If for the odd journey then maybe but if the question is being asked, presume it's a frequent requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom