W212 Sat Nav update query: DVD or SD Card?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinPT0357

Car
E250 Night Edition Saloon
Hi All. Just purchased my fifth Merc, an E250 saloon 2015.
It didn't come with Sat Nav media (DVD or SD) so I asked my local Merc dealership to upgrade the maps for me. I thought (from what I read) that the maps are updated using an SD card in the Command / Audio 20 unit. But they used a DVD to update it to Map Version V6.0 2016/7.
I'm confused.. According to the part number of the DVD they used (A2188274200) this is for an earlier model W212.
My questions are: Have they updated my nav system with an old disk? and, should my vehicle be updated using an SD card that I can purchase online?
Grateful for any advice on this subject. Regards Colin

Forget the car model, what matters is the version of COMAND, and I gather yours is NTG5*1.

Check which is the latest version for COMAND NTG5*1.

Also, keep in mind that your car should have 3 years free maps update... so if it was first registered on or after 20 March 2015, you can contact the dealer on Monday - all they need do is generate the free maps update PIN code from MB's central computer before the 3 years are up, they can carry-out the actual update at a later date.

(This is in the event that v6.0 isn't the latest for your system)

Also, keep in mind that your car should have 3 years free maps update... so if it was first registered on or after 20 March 2015, you can contact the dealer on Monday - all they need do is generate the free maps update PIN code from MB's central computer before the 3 years are up, they can carry-out the actual update at a later date.

(This is in the event that v6.0 isn't the latest for your system)

Hi markjay. Thank you for the prompt help. I'll check the version number and get back to you. How do I tell if I have Comand or Audio 20? Sorry, basic stuff, but I am not sure how to tell..

Hi. Version within system says: 2014/5 v2.1 Europe. Doesn't sound to me like they've updated the maps at all.

Hi. Version within system says: 2014/5 v2.1 Europe. Doesn't sound to me like they've updated the maps at all.

This sounds like the original maps that came with the car when new in 2015.

I suggest you book it in for a free maps update asap i.e. before the 3 years free update period expires.

This sounds like the original maps that came with the car when new in 2015.

I suggest you book it in for a free maps update asap i.e. before the 3 years free update period expires.
I did. That's what's confusing me.. The dealership had the car for 4 hours, said they'd updated the nav and gave me an A4 page stating map version 6.0 was now installed, yet the car version says different. I understood an SD card was needed to update it, but they've used a DVD.

My understanding is that the dealer can either download the maps update from MB and install them to the car from an SD card, which is quicker, or use the retail DVD, which is slower.

But either way it seems that the update was either not carried-out, or perhaps it failed for some reason.

I think you will need to book it in again and let them sort it out, just this time make sure you check the maps version before leaving the workshop.

If you have COMAND NTG5*1 (which is what I think you have because your map version is 2014/2015 V2.1) then the update is done via USB

The latest version for NTG5*1 is Europe 2018 V9.0

But as i've posted elsewhere the mechanism for the dealer to get the update USB has changed and there are many dealers who have not realised.

As markjay says make sure you get the licence (PIN code) for the latest version available for your car before the 3 years expires or you'll have to pay to get the licence (the licence system implements this, the dealer has no choice/flexibility).
Ask the parts department to do it on VeDOK today as tomorrow is 3 years according to your post above. May as-well have them generate the 2018 code and the previous version in case your dealer doesn't have the latest update and then they can sort it later for you when they have worked out how to get it

Cheers

Richard

PS. A218 827 42 00 is the USB stick part number for the last release 2016/2017

Hello Richard
Thank you for the above. My car is registered 25/10/2015, so I have time left to sort this.
I believe I have Comand 5.1 with map version 2.1 2014/5. I was given a VeDoc with my VIN, DVD object number (A2188274200) and a Licence key. It also states Map version as 'Europe 2016/2017 V6.0'. That doesn't match what the nav in the vehicle says. I get the impression the attempt to upgrade wasn't successful. What's your thoughts? B regards Colin

Sorry, to be clear. I asked for the maps to be upgraded under warranty. that's when they gave me the VeDoc.

Hi
That is the licence key printout (from VeDOK). And it looks like they generated the key and never installed the map!! I'd take it back and ask them why they didn't do that and why they didn't actually get the latest map !
Cheers
R

PS. A218 827 42 00 is the USB stick part number for the last release 2016/2017

Hi Richard!

Do you know the part number for the 2015/2016 Europe V4 map? I've got a comand online NTG5S1

Thank you

I think it is A218 827 23 00 as that's the one before 2016. But I don't know its 2015/2016 for sure

Cheers
Richard

Thank you very much Richard :)

I was looking for downloading v4 map on the internet and i was asked of part number of it (it's very dificult to find it).

Best regards from Spain ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom